I hate you 2.0!

NickT916

Bronze
Jan 4, 2008
it crashes! Has bugs! Makes iPhone slower! I restored, reinstalled still garbage.. Heck I'm typing this right now on my iPhone and everytime I hit a letter the page jumps up and down! I don't see how they got 2.0 I mean common 1.1.4 is same thing! 2.0 it's more like 1.1.4.5! You can save a picture now and select .com .net .org from same button wow! Haha

App store doesn't make it 2.0! Someone is missing steps...

All those could have gotten copy paste, java, adobe,3.0mp+ camera, mms sendreceive pics, pause YouTube while going back to home screen, turn off pop up txt, more gay ring tones, heck 2.0 is like 5 years ahead of schedule but yet 5 years behind... Upgrading from 1.1.3 to 1.1.4 was was more beneficial than this hype.

Obviously Apple figured they can change the cover, say it's 2.0 to sound more advanced and put a 3G thing in that most phones already have but yet charge more and make people think they are buying an iPhone 2! LOL

NickT916

Bronze
Jan 4, 2008
I'm going back to 1.1.4! Hmm I wonder if you can make 3G a 1.1.4 .....

styfle

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
well you forgot 1.2 lol
they went from 1.1.4 and they should have gone to 1.1.5 1.1.6 1.1.7 etc

lman

Silver
Oct 18, 2007
i guess i'm lucky, i haven't had any of these issues with speed and crashing

Jul 26, 2007
Yeah 2.0 blows... I honestly think its a planned out move by Apple & ATT. I hate to sound like a conspiracy theorist or anything but look at it this way.

We have the new 2.0 Software that is specifically designated for the first gen iPhone. If Apple is trying to fufill their contract with ATT by giving them a certain number of 3G iPhone users for the money ATT is paying Apple for exclusivity (This is evident by the move to make sure users are unable to take unactivated 3G iPhones out of the store so that unlocking does not occur.) So likely they planned to get all us millions of V1 users to migrate over to 3G... I find it convinent that V1 iPhones are having all of these problems that (I will list my own personal problems below.) will force us to buy 3G iPhones. Im sure Apple knows that they built a great phone and most of us users will find it difficult to go to anything other than an iPhone because we are used to it.

So now this is where most of us V1 users stand. We have a 1 year product warranty for a phone that will get phased out for a new phone around the same time the following year. Our phones "Malfunction" and we are unable to get our new V1 from our OEM Warranty and we are stuck no less to either buy a 3G iPhone because V1s are no longer produced or get a random suck phone which is unlikely because we are used to an advanced interface. At this point in my life I need my iPhone for my life cause I need to use Maps, Safari, Mail and a few other features this phone has and no other phone has.

I just think its a pretty big coincidence that right when 3G comes out V1s start to fail on the users. If I walk into an Apple or an ATT store expecting to get my phone fixed which im sure will not happen unless I pay a hefty fee and send my phone away. I will sadly be disappointed because Apple and ATT have played us consumers and forced us to play their little for profit game. Hopefully Apple has a heart and decides to give us V1 users some better software the second go-round. If yall see some kind of 3G only update expect for the problems to get worse. Here are my current V1 problems....

1st Gen 4g iPhone on 2.0 OEM software...

- My phone when in sleep mode will freeze in place for long periods of time and when I unlock it updates the time and I receive all txts and missed calls while the phone was locked or in sleep.

- Edge and Cellular service is terrible now and I no longer get service in places where I was previously able to from software updates 1.1.4 and Pre-Release 2.0. I also get that little [o] box instead of the [E] box frequently.

- Programs are now much slower than on 1.1.4 and hang longer and crash frequently... and this is everything that is important... Phone, SMS, Mail, Safari, iPod, AIM, Clock, Voicemail.

- When attempting to make calls sometimes my handset mic and speakers will not allow me to talk on the phone but speaker phone and head phones work fine.

and thats all I've experienced sofar... What do yall think... Coincidence? Probably not... and yes I'm an Apple lover and yes I love my iPhone I just think im being betrayed thats all.

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
They don't have to go from 1.1.4 to 1.1.5 to 1.1.6, etc, until they reach 2.0. And exactly how do you expect a software update to add a 3-megapixel camera? Firmware updates upgrade the software, not the hardware.

coop1701

Zealot
Silver
Jun 30, 2007
I must be lucky as well.
Me too... I have had no issues on 2.0. I'm happy with a lot of the changed they made.

The only problem I've had is my Ringtone volume keeps changing. I'll set it at 100 percent. Check it a hour later and it's at about 55 percent. No idea why it keeps changing.

Eragon

Zealot
Gold
Jan 8, 2008
Frederick, MD
Yeah 2.0 blows... I honestly think its a planned out move by Apple & ATT. I hate to sound like a conspiracy theorist or anything but look at it this way.

We have the new 2.0 Software that is specifically designated for the first gen iPhone. If Apple is trying to fufill their contract with ATT by giving them a certain number of 3G iPhone users for the money ATT is paying Apple for exclusivity (This is evident by the move to make sure users are unable to take unactivated 3G iPhones out of the store so that unlocking does not occur.) So likely they planned to get all us millions of V1 users to migrate over to 3G... I find it convinent that V1 iPhones are having all of these problems that (I will list my own personal problems below.) will force us to buy 3G iPhones. Im sure Apple knows that they built a great phone and most of us users will find it difficult to go to anything other than an iPhone because we are used to it.

So now this is where most of us V1 users stand. We have a 1 year product warranty for a phone that will get phased out for a new phone around the same time the following year. Our phones "Malfunction" and we are unable to get our new V1 from our OEM Warranty and we are stuck no less to either buy a 3G iPhone because V1s are no longer produced or get a random suck phone which is unlikely because we are used to an advanced interface. At this point in my life I need my iPhone for my life cause I need to use Maps, Safari, Mail and a few other features this phone has and no other phone has.

I just think its a pretty big coincidence that right when 3G comes out V1s start to fail on the users. If I walk into an Apple or an ATT store expecting to get my phone fixed which im sure will not happen unless I pay a hefty fee and send my phone away. I will sadly be disappointed because Apple and ATT have played us consumers and forced us to play their little for profit game. Hopefully Apple has a heart and decides to give us V1 users some better software the second go-round. If yall see some kind of 3G only update expect for the problems to get worse. Here are my current V1 problems....

1st Gen 4g iPhone on 2.0 OEM software...

- My phone when in sleep mode will freeze in place for long periods of time and when I unlock it updates the time and I receive all txts and missed calls while the phone was locked or in sleep.

- Edge and Cellular service is terrible now and I no longer get service in places where I was previously able to from software updates 1.1.4 and Pre-Release 2.0. I also get that little [o] box instead of the [E] box frequently.

- Programs are now much slower than on 1.1.4 and hang longer and crash frequently... and this is everything that is important... Phone, SMS, Mail, Safari, iPod, AIM, Clock, Voicemail.

- When attempting to make calls sometimes my handset mic and speakers will not allow me to talk on the phone but speaker phone and head phones work fine.

and thats all I've experienced sofar... What do yall think... Coincidence? Probably not... and yes I'm an Apple lover and yes I love my iPhone I just think im being betrayed thats all.
Chris,

I think you make a number of good points. You have to remember, however, that Apple views the iPhone 3G as it does any other Apple platform: loyalty is to the here and now. Apple products are made to last. Newer products are continuously brought to market.

2.0 to the iPhone V1 strikes me in the same way as Leopard 10.5 is to the Power PC Macs. Apple will let us stretch the product life of our purchases only so far. At some point, Apple has to pull chocks and cut off earlier hardware incarnations.

There is nothing keeping you from enjoying 1.1.4, jailbroken and unlocked. If 2.0 does not function well on your device, downgrade.

Good luck. :)

llrickman

Contributor
Silver
Jan 12, 2008
Albuquerque , NM
i am having all the issues listed here plus when i click camera. It tells me "camera wants to use your current location", programs crash all the time, my RT volume changes on its own. Sometimes it take 5 minutes to type one fricken word in a text message because it locks/slows down

ive had it tell me "safari wants to use your current location"

2.0 sucks big time

plus it takes almost an hour to sync my 4GB ? wtf

Jul 26, 2007
Chris,

I think you make a number of good points. You have to remember, however, that Apple views the iPhone 3G as it does any other Apple platform: loyalty is to the here and now. Apple products are made to last. Newer products are continuously brought to market.

2.0 to the iPhone V1 strikes me in the same way as Leopard 10.5 is to the Power PC Macs. Apple will let us stretch the product life of our purchases only so far. At some point, Apple has to pull chocks and cut off earlier hardware incarnations.

There is nothing keeping you from enjoying 1.1.4, jailbroken and unlocked. If 2.0 does not function well on your device, downgrade.

Good luck. :)
Thanks Eragon,

Yeah I agree they view it as the same as other platforms... technologically and businesss wise I think thats a smart move. Im just alittle upset as a consumer thats all. Im bummed that I was a 1st day iPhone adopter got screwed when they did the price drop to make more money but I didn't complain. Now a die hard Apple and iPhone fan im just wondering how far Apple is willing to go to make a quick buck. Im already paying 120$ a month for my plan and while I don't mind paying that high a price for the value its a great deal. I just don't like the fact that most of us who were satisfied with the V1 are now in a stranglehold and will be forced to buy a 3G and pay more for something I wont need.

I thought about downgrading but herin lies the problem. I payed for a product that Stevie boy said would last for years in continuous software updates so sticking around on 1.1.4 would basically be screwing myself out of what I payed for in the first place: Great Hardware with an Updatable GUI that would keep up with newer produced Hardware phones. Im just hoping that this does not keep up or else whats gonna happen next year lol You made a cut here and got something slightly better but end up paying more. Whats to stop this from happening every year and continuously getting worse.... Wrap this around your brain lol... July 11th 2010 iPhone V4 with a 3.5mp Camera with Flash, Broadband Internet Speeds, Safari with Flash, Cut and Paste, MMS Support, Video Chat, 32g base model 64g upgraded with 9 Diffrent colors, and all for the low low price of $199 Voice Plans Start at 89$ a month and Media Net is 40$ a month no txt but for 200 txts 5$ more and 20$ for unlimited text. So after its all said and done your paying damn close to 200$ for a cellphone with crappy service but it looks cool and is a nice piece of hardware lol... Think about it...

Eragon

Zealot
Gold
Jan 8, 2008
Frederick, MD
I really feel your pain. I bought a 20" iMac two months prior to its refresh. I could have waited for the new machine, but I decided I needed it then. I really wanted a Mac Pro so I could easily switch out components as they aged or failed. Fast forwarding to today, my iMac is still competitive. I have it loaded out with 10.5.4, maxed out on RAM, etc. I'm really glad I didn't think with the wrong brain. ;)

I am, gulp, old enough to remember the PC switchover from MS DOS to Windows 3.1. My PC was immediately put out to pasture, even though I had recently spent a good deal on the system. I was extremely aggravated, and promised myself I would never let that happen to me again.

Unless you are made of money, you'll never be able to keep up with the latest and greatest. Milk out your current device as long as you can. Phone. iPod. Mail. And so forth. If there is something you have a burning need to run, but can't use yor existing device, you may be looking at needing to upgrade.

Think about what is really important about your use of the iPhone and go from there. I didn't need to upgrade from V1 8GB to V2 16GB. I let my other brain do the thinking this time. :p

nealh

Contributor
Silver
Apr 3, 2008
WTF..so those of us who bought an iPhone in the spring not knowing Apple had a new thing on the way(4 mo later) are trying to stretch our hardware....IMHO a real stupid idea and makes no businesss sense at all

A 1 yr product cycle and then no support or piss/poor support to force an upgrade on a new user

No loyalty there..screw them if you are correct, the iPhone is nice but far from perfect ...there are other choices out there

I am not a fanboy but will call a spade a spade....

ryfone

Bronze
Jan 17, 2008
Pacific NW
can't say i'm too happy with 2.0 either, however, phonesaber makes it all better... ;)

Jul 26, 2007
I really feel your pain. I bought a 20" iMac two months prior to its refresh. I could have waited for the new machine, but I decided I needed it then. I really wanted a Mac Pro so I could easily switch out components as they aged or failed. Fast forwarding to today, my iMac is still competitive. I have it loaded out with 10.5.4, maxed out on RAM, etc. I'm really glad I didn't think with the wrong brain. ;)

I am, gulp, old enough to remember the PC switchover from MS DOS to Windows 3.1. My PC was immediately put out to pasture, even though I had recently spent a good deal on the system. I was extremely aggravated, and promised myself I would never let that happen to me again.

Unless you are made of money, you'll never be able to keep up with the latest and greatest. Milk out your current device as long as you can. Phone. iPod. Mail. And so forth. If there is something you have a burning need to run, but can't use yor existing device, you may be looking at needing to upgrade.

Think about what is really important about your use of the iPhone and go from there. I didn't need to upgrade from V1 8GB to V2 16GB. I let my other brain do the thinking this time. :p
Whew man I would have totally exploded if I had to use DOS as an OS lol but on a different subject yeah I agree about your above post. I will have to milk what I can off of the V1 but as an ethical person I will only take so much crap out of respect for businesss practices and need for share holders to make money off of their stocks. But once that line is crossed Apple has lost a good customer that doesn't care to pay high prices for something of value (as most iPhone users are evidently.) I expect yall to do the same because after most of us seem to forget how much leverage we have over Apple as a consumer market we are relatively small and its easy to change stuff we are unhappy about... not like the market of car owners that are pissed about having to pay high gas prices to use what they value lol Actually thats in a nutshell exactly whats happening lol Maybe somebody upstairs @ ATT saw the pattern and came up with the plan.... :D

greenjbhsd

Silver
Jul 13, 2007
I have a v1 phone and have not really had any issues with 2.0 except that I cannot sync my photos folder. I find that during the sync operation it will sync everything but that and then I have to stop the sync as it sits there and never ends. It does appear to be syncing everything except the photos though.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
I have a v1 phone and have not really had any issues with 2.0 except that I cannot sync my photos folder. I find that during the sync operation it will sync everything but that and then I have to stop the sync as it sits there and never ends. It does appear to be syncing everything except the photos though.
Oh man, I had that happen to me before. Exact same thing you describe. I've been sitting here for 5 minutes punching myself in the head trying to remember what it was that solved it. I aaaaalmost wanna say it was a bad cable! Sounds crazy huh? Got another cable you can try, though?

greenjbhsd

Silver
Jul 13, 2007
I might, I will see. I think we have a half dozen of them from all the ipods we have gone through. Let me check that out. Good starting point if nothing else!