i have a problem, i need some help and advice

ejmonkey3

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
i have a problem, i need some help and advice(phone issue)

alright so i have had my new 3g iPhone since launch. its been pretty good and i do like it better then the older v1 model. over the last few weeks i have had some of the worst phone hiccups. i am on ATT by the way in the usa. i keep getting missed calls, like friends trying to call me and they say it goes straight to voice mail. i don't get anything in recents, a ring, or voicemail. also i will get random pop ups of voice mails, and then it will say no recents yet my friends have called. this is driving me nuts. is it the netowrk or is it the phone. i am seriously starting to get pissed as tonight it really wrecked my plans with a few different friends. i do not use mobile me, i have just a few apps, not over loaded like some peoples. i have tried hard reboot, hard restarts, restores, and not a damn thing is helping. so has anyone else been dealing with this. i notice that it might be 2.0 software because i do seem to crash a lot more now than with the old phone. also what does the TTY in the settings phone mean?

TangoTango

Bronze
Jul 19, 2008
Las Vegas
What City or area are you in?

Are you running mostly 3G, EDGE or WiFi ?

Do you have problems with outgoing calls, like dropped calls or not connecting ?

How do you mostly carry the phone, in a case, naked, a purse or pouch ?

Do you miss calls all the time, or is it better or worse depending on your location or time of day ?

Do you have the same issues with SMS or E-mail ?

ejmonkey3

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
im in the twin city area, MN. mostly mostly 3g and wifi. i carry it in the pocket in my shirt that is like a button up style shirt. its naked with no case. my old phone was in a case and had no problems. i don't have dropped calls. i only have a few times being able not to call but then i retry and then it goes through fine. the main prooblem is im not receiving all my calls, and sometimes get random voicemails. i have never had a problem before. it is just random. sometimes in an area with low bars, and sometimes with full bars, its just random.

TangoTango

Bronze
Jul 19, 2008
Las Vegas
im in the twin city area, MN. mostly mostly 3g and wifi. i carry it in the pocket in my shirt that is like a button up style shirt. its naked with no case. my old phone was in a case and had no problems. i don't have dropped calls. i only have a few times being able not to call but then i retry and then it goes through fine. the main prooblem is im not receiving all my calls, and sometimes get random voicemails. i have never had a problem before. it is just random. sometimes in an area with low bars, and sometimes with full bars, its just random.

Hmmmmmm could be either phone, network, or maybe a bit of both.

If you run your phone in EDGE, does it make any difference on the call reception ?

And also, about your phone crashing...... I've had mine for a bit now and have not had it crash. Any idea what's making yours unhappy ?

ejmonkey3

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
Hmmmmmm could be either phone, network, or maybe a bit of both.

If you run your phone in EDGE, does it make any difference on the call reception ?

And also, about your phone crashing...... I've had mine for a bit now and have not had it crash. Any idea what's making yours unhappy ?

well im pretty sure the crashing is all 2.0. theres a lot of bugs. mostly i have dealt with them and have just hard reboot every day. however i have tried switching to edge and the call quality is better than the 3g since the new 3g has better hardware, however its like night and day clear with 3g. 3g phone is always much clear and louder. i think it could be a netowrk thing but i have had enough of it. im going to talk to Apple/att tomorrow because by the 11th of august my contract is confirmed and would like to not mess around with that stuff, so im trying to to do this before the 11th of august.

TangoTango

Bronze
Jul 19, 2008
Las Vegas
I'm not sure about the crashing being the 2.0 software.

All the 3G iPhones came out about the same time, so we are pretty much all running about the same software, and again, I have not had any crash with my iPhone. That's why I was seeing what was happening to make yours crash.

Sounds like talking to Apple / AT&T might be the best bet. In the mean time, try different stuff. Run it in only EDGE for a day, see if that helps the missed call problem.

Delete the non-stock Apps, see if that helps the crashes or not.

Have your friends call you on a set schedule, like every 1/2 hour for 3 or 4 hours, and see how many of the calls make it through to you.

Any basic things you can to to troubleshoot your problems can help you find out if it's going to be an Apple Hardware problem, or an AT&T Network issue.

ejmonkey3

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
yes i will try those ideas. otherwise i will have to go to Apple/att

showguy

Silver
Dec 2, 2007
Long Island, NY
If you had good reception before 3g this statement from a long time Apple tech is something to read: He told me this the other day when I upgraded my version 1 phone to 3g and I noticed inside the Apple store I had 2 bars and my version one was at 5bars.

He said. "if you don't want dropped calls or calls going directly to email disable 3g"

Now right after he said that he did say they are for ever improving the netwoork and this would not always be the case.

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
The crashing is mostly to do with to 2.0 firmware. An update is just a few weeks away(at least we hope,it should be soon) and this will hopefully clear up the crashes and lags.