I have an irrational fear...

Breadfan

Sep 14, 2007
What worries me is that, when Apple rolls out iPhone software 2.0 they are also going roll out iPhone hardware 2.0 as well, maybe with a faster processor, more memory, better a better GPU. I'm afraid that software developers are going to cater to the newer, faster iPhones and those of us with the original platform are going to be left in the dark. Maybe not right away but pretty soon.

IphoneTony

Zealot
Gold
Nov 10, 2007
New Jersey
Na.. I disagree. There will be plenty for us.. The second iPhone has not even shipped yet with a date

Breadfan

Sep 14, 2007
Well, when the 2.0 software update arrives it will be basically on the one-year anniversary of the iPhone's release. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see a new iPhone then.

OJsakila

Jul 15, 2007
Jupiter's sulphur mines
What worries me is that, when Apple rolls out iPhone software 2.0 they are also going roll out iPhone hardware 2.0 as well, maybe with a faster processor, more memory, better a better GPU. I'm afraid that software developers are going to cater to the newer, faster iPhones and those of us with the original platform are going to be left in the dark. Maybe not right away but pretty soon.

ummmm....isn't that how technology works?

aggieman

Zealot
Gold
Jul 6, 2007
Dallas, TX
I'm ready for the iPhone2. The sooner it hits the better. my 16gb iPhone will hit ebay. no worries at all. If they release it in June which I doubt will happen as they will want to first milk the new flurry of sales of the first version due to the new apps and features, then I will buy it. I'd predict a early November release of the new iPhone.

Breadfan

Sep 14, 2007
ummmm....isn't that how technology works?
Yes but $400 (or $600) is a lot to spend on a phone (to me anyway) and I expect it to last more than a year.
I mean, my MacBook is 16 months old now and I don't plan on replacing it anytime soon. To me it just feels like Apple hardware seems to "last longer". By that I mean that it isn't really necessary to update the hardware as frequently as on the Windows side. My MacBook doesn't feel "old" to me at all.

I'm not really complaining about anything. I realize that my iPhone will still function fine even after the new versions are released. I just want to feel that it's still "relevant" for a good while.

umbrabellator

Bronze
Jan 3, 2008
I sympathize with your point, but, frankly, I hope so.

I don't really want to pony up $600 for a second generation iPhone any more than any one else at this point, but I will do so immediately if the next iPhone generation comes with GPS navigation built in.

I've been wanting to purchase a GPS navigation system for quite awhile, but have decided to hold off in the hopes that the next iPhone will incorporate this functionality. I have two many gadgets to carry to and from the car all the time now as it is. How great would it be to have a cell phone and a GPS navigator in one device?

Yeh, I'd buy that!

jbarrack

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007
New York
www.facebook.com
Yeah if iPhone 2 comes out and just has 3G capabilities would def hesitate getting a new one. 3G isn't even available in my area. Anything else on top of 3G ill buy in a second and ebay my old one.

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
All speculation points to a new phone release late 2008. I am sure that there will be an announcement before hand. It's not something that Apple is going to keep quiet. Right now is the time that they start selling off the "overstock" till they get to a point where they don't have but a few thousand left for each section of the country, then the iPhone 2 will be released and the price point of the original iPhone will be reduced to make it attractive to move the old stock, and the new phone will probably be priced around 499 - depending on whether or not Apple feels like they can get away with another 599 phone or not.
My guess is that you're looking at October-November release of the iPhone 2 with 2.24 software, and will be priced at 499 with 16 GB of memory. there might be a 32 GB version for another 100-150 bucks. The new iPhone is supposed to have 3G and GPS. Beyond that, it can be assumed that the processor will be a little better, and that's about it.

wrhutch

Bronze
Jul 9, 2007
Pottsboro Texas
I agree that hardware version 2 will be announced the same day, I've actually said this all along. What better way to release a new product and keep the original version owners happy. I'm ready for it :)

minivini

Bronze
Jul 6, 2007
I think the OP's concern is that there will be a lack of software SUPPORT once V2 arrives. The mistake here is assuming that there will be some fundamental difference in the next version's OS, which there won't be. I have been a little skeptical about Apple's insistence that the iPhone runs full OSX, but the comments by a developer at EA back up this claim. Hopefully V2 will have LOTS of improvements/additions/even more memory, but I can't imagine any that would render software incompatible with BOTH generations...

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
iPhone 2 doesn't do anything for me until I have 3G capabilities in my area. When that happens, a 3G capable iPhone will become very attractive to me.