I have great news!

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

jbaraga

Bronze
Jun 26, 2007
Pittsburgh, PA
www.baraga.me
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/07...one_unlocking/

Read that and let me know what you think. :cool: I'll be the first one in line with my $50. I don't know if the iPhone will work on the EVDO network... probably not knowing my luck, but one can hope! Regardless, I will transfer my service the minute this is released, I so hate AT&T.
As far as I know, EVDO service providers (Verizon, Sprint) are CDMA. This is a GSM phone. Unlocking it only makes it usable on other GSM networks. If you're thinking you'll be able to use it with a CDMA network, you're going to be disappointed.

tharmsen

Silver
Jul 5, 2007
As far as I know, EVDO service providers (Verizon, Sprint) are CDMA. This is a GSM phone. Unlocking it only makes it usable on other GSM networks. If you're thinking you'll be able to use it with a CDMA network, you're going to be disappointed.
Thanks for the info... I figured it would be too good to be true for a Verizon network devotee like me... :(

SPCartmanLand

Bronze
Jun 29, 2007
wouldn't an unlocked phone have missing features?
yes i doubt the edge would work i know the visual voicemail wouldn't but i wouldn't care if i could use my iPhone with my t-mobile sim that would be great i would just use wifi for the internet and all

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
It would only work on a GSM network. In the US, that means T-Mobile for most users. Some people might have carriers like Cincinnati Bell or something but the largest two GSM providers in the US are At&t and T-Mobile.

If you use the iPhone on T-Mobile, you can forget the visual voicemail and EDGE speeds. Not only does T-Mobile not have 3g, but they also don't even have EDGE speeds. The T-Mobile network uses GPRS and it's the slowest data transfer speed of them all. Think about a 28k dial up modem. It would be awful.

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
Edge "should" work on T-Mobile and other GSM carriers around the world.
I just checked and they do offer EDGE speeds now.

What Is EDGE?
T-Mobile has enhanced its GPRS data network with EDGE (Enhanced Data Rates for Global Evolution), improving the overall user experience when accessing data and rich content. EDGE delivers throughput speeds on the network for end users with EDGE-enabled devices up to 4 times the current rate. The service will address more than 90% of the current T-Mobile data traffic representing over 75% of T-Mobile’s network footprint.
NOTE: The speed of the EDGE network will depend on multiple factors, including network changes, traffic volume, service outages, technical limitations, signal strength, your equipment, terrain, structures, weather, and the overall performance of the Internet. EDGE may be unavailable in certain areas. If EDGE is unavailable in a user’s service area, the user will experience GPRS performance/speeds.
T-Mobile’s EDGE enhanced data network provides fast and easy access to Internet information on the go. There is no added cost for EDGE service. Customers seamlessly drop back to GPRS when not in EDGE coverage areas or when EDGE coverage is not available.
T-Mobile’s GPRS/EDGE network is further enhanced by offering the largest carrier-class, high-speed wireless broadband network with T-Mobile HotSpot locations conveniently located in over 6,000 locations in the US…and growing every day!

apercele79

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007
i pray for this unlock to happen soon...im leaving for europe on july 19th and i would love to be able to use the phone there with a vodafone SIM instead of roaming

damstr

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007
If the iPhone had the speed of my 700P over the EVDO network I would go out and buy one today.The speed is the only thing keeping me from going to an iPhone.

wjp09

Zealot
Gold
Feb 25, 2007
NJ
I only like verizon because everyone is in it . Also I like there texting m2m is cool since most people here have that

apercele79

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007
if verizon went GSM, then i would love verizon as well
i can't send text messages to europe on verizon and their phones are downright nasty...if they ever decide to go GSM and have sim card phones, then i would love verizon...i have verizon and t-mobile now, and i am willing to break my verizon contract to go to AT&T (unless they unlock the iPhone) and then i will just stick to t-mobile

fitz62

Bronze
Jun 9, 2007
i pray for this unlock to happen soon...im leaving for europe on july 19th and i would love to be able to use the phone there with a vodafone SIM instead of roaming
would be nice for all the people who couldn't get out of their contracts.

datafirm

Jul 3, 2007
It would only work on a GSM network. In the US, that means T-Mobile for most users. Some people might have carriers like Cincinnati Bell or something but the largest two GSM providers in the US are At&t and T-Mobile.

If you use the iPhone on T-Mobile, you can forget the visual voicemail and EDGE speeds. Not only does T-Mobile not have 3g, but they also don't even have EDGE speeds. The T-Mobile network uses GPRS and it's the slowest data transfer speed of them all. Think about a 28k dial up modem. It would be awful.
FYI - EDGE is not 3G.. its like 2.5G and iPhone does not support 3G, only EDGE

oembios

Bronze
Jul 5, 2007
Unlocking the iPhone is taking money out of Apples pocket. They worked very hard to create this phone. They should get all the money.

apercele79

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007
i see it differerently, it would put more money in Apple's pocket
there are tens of thusands of ppl that want this phone in the US and abroad, but they don't want AT&T. (the ppl abroad have no access to AT&T)...once this phone is unlocked, steve jobs will be the happiest guy in the world b/c he will sell a million phones in the first month probably

the only ones losing will be AT&T...correct me if i'm wrong

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
i see it differerently, it would put more money in Apple's pocket
there are tens of thusands of ppl that want this phone in the US and abroad, but they don't want AT&T. (the ppl abroad have no access to AT&T)...once this phone is unlocked, steve jobs will be the happiest guy in the world b/c he will sell a million phones in the first month probably

the only ones losing will be AT&T...correct me if i'm wrong
you're right. seeing how quickly and easily they are figuring out how to unlock it, it makes me think that Apple secretly made it that easy hoping that they would figure it out so people could use it on other networks and Apple could make twice as much money. AT&T of course will be pissed and maybe a lawsuit will result...