I have no reason to get the new version

goobs22xx

Bronze
Sep 16, 2007
but for some reason, I find myself having to resist the temptation to throw my v1 on eBay and try to come home with a 16gb on iDayV2.

I mean, seriously...I won't use 3g. I'm on WiFi at home and we're not allowed to have phones at work. So there are very few times when I actually use Edge as it is now.

I use Google Maps a lot, but I always know where I'm going before I get going there. My wife and I rarely travel. GPS isn't a huge plus

None of those would be deal breaker, but the thing is $10 more a month.

I really want to get it. I think Apple is setting themselves up well. By adding 3g and GPS, they are taking the hardware steps necessary to make the phone on par with other feature packed phones. All that is missing (sans the slightly sub par camera) will be software type features that Apple will undoubtedly be able to con me into buying later on, because as you can tell, I'm a sucker for technology....

ARGH. Is anyone else going through this? I could use a support group. Someone talk me out of this, stat!

wrhutch

Bronze
Jul 9, 2007
Pottsboro Texas
Hang in there and resist the temptation. Just remind yourself that V1 will be like a new toy with the release of Firmware 2.0.

hoits2000

Bronze
Mar 15, 2007
If you bought the first one, I KNOW you will by the 2nd one, we are a special breed, gotta have the new stuff.

DUKEL

Silver
Jun 27, 2007
S.D. CA 92109
With the prices V1 iPhones are fetching right now theres no real reason to hang onto a V1 iPhone now.(unless of course you don't have 3G coverage or you don't want to use a regular phone til the 11th.;)) Sell your 16 gb for $400(8GB $350) and the extra couple hundred, well that takes care of the $10/month premium for 20 of the months.
I think just having the real turn by turn GPS would be worth the extra 10 bucks. But the real thing is 3G is important to phones in more ways than one. Not only will you not be tethered to home or work for fast data like a real MOBILE phone should be, but also when your phone is actively transmiting data you can still receive calls.(instead of how the current gen performs by either forwarding your call to VM or letting it ring & ring on the callers end but never ringing or showing a missed call on your end.) Also when your on a call with someone you could launch the browser and lookup something or do a maps search etc. during a conversation. And last but not least the displayed near wifi speed produced by the hsdpa/3G data. Its gonna be fast. Think how fast the iPhone is even on edge. The browser is so streamlined it performs better on edge then other devices do on 3G. Add 3G...its over.

That would suck though if the 200sms is not included in the $30 iPhone package though. That might be a real reason to keep the first gen. A $15 dollar premium/month?:sick: Would'nt be enough to deter me but almost.

goobs22xx

Bronze
Sep 16, 2007
wow, thanks guys, now I REALLY want the new one, haha.

To make it worse, the texts arent an issue since my wife and I are on the family unlimited plan.

Good lord, I might be putting this one on ebay today.

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
I say get it. I have no 3G coverage where I live, and I'm getting it. When I got the first iPhone, I didn't think I would have any use for Google Maps at all. Now I use it all the time to get around and look up numbers of stores. I figure GPS will be the same.

Plus, there is the design. The curved back will feel great in your hands, and the black (or white) design looks great. Also, there's a flush headphone jack, so you won't have to use a big annoying headphone adapter anymore. Also, it has better audio than V1.

I say get it. You'll love it even more than your current iPhone.

- John

loc_star

Jun 17, 2008
Florida
I struggled for a couple of days myself. Especially when I was told by an AT&T rep that there is not an awful lot of difference. I use my iPhone at home w/wi-fi also. But I just love new gadgets. I always knew that I wanted to get the new iPhone. I've just decided that now I will be one of the ones waiting in line this time. What ever time they decide to release it.

Ezekiel2517

Bronze
Sep 20, 2007
Not only will you not be tethered to home or work for fast data like a real MOBILE phone should be, but also when your phone is actively transmiting data you can still receive calls.(instead of how the current gen performs by either forwarding your call to VM or letting it ring & ring on the callers end but never ringing or showing a missed call on your end.) Also when your on a call with someone you could launch the browser and lookup something or do a maps search etc. during a conversation.
well, you can still do this on the current gen, if you're on wifi when you make calls, btw

tharmsen

Silver
Jul 5, 2007
Hang in there and resist the temptation. Just remind yourself that V1 will be like a new toy with the release of Firmware 2.0.
Yup, that's how I see it. I'm not excited about 3G at all given I don't live in a coverage area and I don't see the benefit to paying more per month. After looking at AT&T's 3G coverage map on their website and seeing 90%+ of their network doesn't have 3G service... I think there will be a lot of disappointed people that don't do their homework when they ditch their old contract/phone for the new.

GPS is a novelty I rarely use, so that's not a draw.

Right now I'm more concerned with them using the iPod Touch screen in the 3G with it's much lower quality for video. I use my phone on the train 2 hours a day to watch movies I've purchased from iTunes. I don't want to give up quality of video for storage space. My 8GB works great for me (5 television shows and two full length movies plus my entire audio library with a gig left over).

Nope... unless I do something really impulsive (and I've been known to) I'll be avoiding the Apple store for a while. :)

Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
Perhaps unlike you, I need the 3G capability of the new iPhone. I really only use wifi at home, and I'd really like the 3G access at work.

Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
I say get it. I have no 3G coverage where I live, and I'm getting it. When I got the first iPhone, I didn't think I would have any use for Google Maps at all. Now I use it all the time to get around and look up numbers of stores. I figure GPS will be the same.

Plus, there is the design. The curved back will feel great in your hands, and the black (or white) design looks great. Also, there's a flush headphone jack, so you won't have to use a big annoying headphone adapter anymore. Also, it has better audio than V1.

I say get it. You'll love it even more than your current iPhone.

- John
I agree with your sentiments about Google maps. It has saved my bacon more times than I can remember, and I wasn't that excited about it when Jobs talked about it in the v1 keynote.

As long as iRevo makes a case for the new iPhone by launch time, I'll be good to go!

loc_star

Jun 17, 2008
Florida
I have just recently moved to a new state. I have to work in the field to visit clients. I use the maps on my phone "a lot". I was so excited to hear that the new phone has real GPS. If for that reason alone I am anxious about the 3G.

marklynn70

Bronze
Jul 18, 2007
Oldsmar, Florida
www.myspace.com
I am just going to go with the firmware update and enjoy it until I break it since I am going to be in and out of the country for the next couple of years.

tharmsen

Silver
Jul 5, 2007
I have just recently moved to a new state. I have to work in the field to visit clients. I use the maps on my phone "a lot". I was so excited to hear that the new phone has real GPS. If for that reason alone I am anxious about the 3G.
Just no turn by turn directions. It's not a GPS replacement unfortunately. And from what I read elsewhere, the SDK agreement forbids companies for selling turn-by-turn applications for the iPhone.

http://www.electronista.com/articles/08/06/11/iPhone.sdk..gps.nav/

Again, as of right now it's hardly something to be overly excited about. The 3G will have more accurate location capabilities over the current V1 Google Maps... and will do real time tracking... but as for using the phone to get directions from one place to another... not any time soon. Google Maps works pretty well for me right now.

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
Biggest seller for me: Streaming movies from your home computer using 3G while on road trips. Now just get a car mount and you have a mini flat screen tv right on the dash and a huge movie selection. And with a car charger no worrying about battery life dying from 3G and Video simultaneous.

tharmsen

Silver
Jul 5, 2007
Biggest seller for me: Streaming movies from your home computer using 3G while on road trips. Now just get a car mount and you have a mini flat screen tv right on the dash and a huge movie selection. And with a car charger no worrying about battery life dying from 3G and Video simultaneous.
Car trips and 3G? Have you looked at the AT&T coverage map for 3G? I hope you mean car trips around town. :)

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
Car trips and 3G? Have you looked at the AT&T coverage map for 3G? I hope you mean car trips around town. :)
Hmm nevermind! :p I guess I could wait till I get to the next big city and download a few new movies and then carry on?

goobs22xx

Bronze
Sep 16, 2007
sounds like every single one of you can find at least one solid reason to get it, but alas, I cannot.

It is neat to read about everyone's big selling point and what they intend to do with it, though.

Wildon, I hope we're never sharing a road together. Feel free to not watch a movie if we are ;-).

TyWebb

Bronze
Jul 22, 2007
Paradise, FL, USA
sounds like every single one of you can find at least one solid reason to get it, but alas, I cannot.

It is neat to read about everyone's big selling point and what they intend to do with it, though.
I can sell my unlocked 8gb v1 iPhone on ebay for approx $350-$400. Then walk into the store on 7/11 and buy a 16gb v2 iPhone for $300. I have a brand new iPhone, 16gb instead of 8gb, much faster internet speeds, and an extra $100 in my pocket.

To me its an absolute no brainer. I make money and get a brand new upgraded phone with more space. I cannot understand why anyone would not be doing this.