I have the iPhone, do I need or want the iPod touch?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

cbnash

Jun 22, 2007
I currently own the iPhone and love it. With the iPod touch now available, I wonder if it makes sense to own both. Anyone have both? Would love to hear your reasons for why you picked up both?

oriolesfan23

Bronze
Jun 29, 2007
Virginia
Wouldn't having both defeat the purpose of having the iPhone? The idea around the iPhone was to combine all the devices into one, that way you wouldn't have to carry a cell phone and an iPod in your pocket at the same time!

plasmo

Bronze
Jul 8, 2007
Anyone have both?
I have both 8GB iPhone and 16GB Touch (got both free :)) - but am only using the iPhone.

Like the comments above, there really is no need to get the Touch if you already have the iPhone (unless you don't want the phone service). An additional 8GB may be useful, but your iPhone should be plenty. People who need more than 8GB may benefit from the larger capacity iPods or MP3 devices.

doron

Zealot
Gold
Apr 17, 2007
tampa, FL
The only difference is the gigs...if you plan on uplodn some movies then the touch would be ideal because of your storage medium...other than that you better off just stickn wit' the iPhone

chevychic55

Bronze
Sep 28, 2007
OC Cali
I have both 8GB iPhone and 16GB Touch (got both free :)) - but am only using the iPhone.

Like the comments above, there really is no need to get the Touch if you already have the iPhone (unless you don't want the phone service). An additional 8GB may be useful, but your iPhone should be plenty. People who need more than 8GB may benefit from the larger capacity iPods or MP3 devices.
Did they fall off the back of a truck?... seriously, how did you get both for free?

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
I don't really see the point in having both the touch and an iPhone either. If you really need the extra space then I could understand getting something with significantly more memory, like the new Classic. I got the new 160gb Classic in addition to having my iPhone for when I travel over long distances (ie, flights) and want to have a large arsenal of music and movies at my disposal. Other than that I never carry around my iPhone and Classic at the same time.

aggieman

Zealot
Gold
Jul 6, 2007
Dallas, TX
I don't really see the point in having both the touch and an iPhone either. If you really need the extra space then I could understand getting something with significantly more memory, like the new Classic. I got the new 160gb Classic in addition to having my iPhone for when I travel over long distances (ie, flights) and want to have a large arsenal of music and movies at my disposal. Other than that I never carry around my iPhone and Classic at the same time.
agreed I have the 8GB iPhone but bought the 160GB classic for my movies and just keep songs on the iPhone. No need for the 16GB touch if you have an iPhone. Besides I wouldn't at all be surprised to see a 16GB iPhone around the corner.

Oct 25, 2007
^yeah i just got 600 Apple gift card to purchase a 8gig iPhone back when they first came out but the card didn't reach me til 4 days ago so i got a free phone plus 200bucks to spare on a Apple gift card so i might buy a touch for my mom for xmas..LOL

Oct 25, 2007
^yeah i just got 600 Apple gift card to purchase a 8gig iPhone back when they first came out but the card didn't reach me til 4 days ago so i got a free phone plus 200bucks to spare on a Apple gift card so i might buy a touch for my mom for xmas..LOL

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
this is the reason why i bought my iPhone.

Ever since the iPhone was released what i REALLY wanted was a LARGE storage ipod (at least 60GB) with a touch screen. So i was holding out for one of those. When they announced the ipod touches were only going to have 16GB of storage i thought "Jeez, i might as well buy an iPhone!" So that's what i did.

the price drop helped too.