I just bought an iPhone that's stuck on iPhone logo

Discussion in 'iPhone 3GS' started by Dim Domdom, Oct 16, 2012.

1. Dim Domdom

Dim Domdom Guest

I just bought it from eBay.

The screen seems to be cloudy on the edges (waterdamage?).
    If I connect it to the computer via USB, the Apple logo shows and nothing more.
    My computer recognizes the iPhone but iTunes says that I should send the phone to an Apple store because it's something wrong with it.

But sometimes when I use TinyUmbrella and click "Enter Recovery" the iPhone changes to the iTunes screen, and then I'm able to reset the phone from iTunes. The first time I did this I got error 3194, so I googled the error and changed the hosts file. Fine, I tried to reset the problem again and I got no error 3194 but I got error 11 instead.

So now I'm stuck att error 11.

2. raqball

raqball Evangelist
    Gold

I'd contact the eBay seller and ask for a refund or an exchange..

3. Dim Domdom

Dim Domdom Guest

That's not really an option because he told me that the iPhone was stuck at the iPhone logo. But he didn't say anything about the cloudy screen. Well, I can live with the cloudy screen but since the iPhone's logo shows up, even the iTunes logo shows up sometimes it has to mean that there are no hardware errors?

Oh my god! I just deleted every line in my hosts file and tried to update. The iPhone is currently updating without any errors!

The iPhone itselfs shows the iPhone logo and beneath it you can see a loading bar. I will update when it works/when I've receieved a new error...

4. Dim Domdom

Dim Domdom Guest

God, this crap!

The restore finished and iTunes told me to wait while the phone was restarting, which it did. Now when iTunes recognized the iPhone it says "There is a problem with your iPhone
    We're sorry, the iPhone you connected may be damaged and cannot be activated for
    service. We recommend you visit your nearest Apple Store for more information.
    To find your nearest Apple Store, click here.".

I'm getting frustrated!

5. VOLS34

VOLS34 Zealot
    Gold

So you bought a non working iPhone that you knew wasn't working beforehand & now you're mad it doesn't work?

6. Dim Domdom

Dim Domdom Guest

I thought it was easy to fix an iPhone that is stuck on the Apple logo.

7. VOLS34

VOLS34 Zealot
    Gold

Did you check for water damage? There's sensors in the mic jack & at the bottom in the charging port.

8. Dim Domdom

Dim Domdom Guest

I know there are sensors inside the phone but I can't open it since I've not got such a small screwdriver. I can't see crap in the mic jack or in the charging port. All I can see is dust.

9. VOLS34

VOLS34 Zealot
    Gold

You can see the sensors without taking it apart. If anything is red inside the mic jack or bottom port it's water damaged.

10. Dim Domdom

Dim Domdom Guest

I can't see anything red neither white in the mic jack or in the dock port, it's dust in there that may be blocking the sensor, I don't know exactly. Even if it's water damaged, I can't do crap about it, right? Or can I? That's why I'm here, I need help!

11. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

It sounds like hardware damage to the logic board as a result of being exposed to water. It's possible that you could use this phone as an iPod Touch with very limited features if you can successfuly jailbreak and hacktivate it, but it's probably not worth the trouble trying to get it hacktivated since Bluetooth, WiFi and cellular features aren't going to work.

Did the seller mention it that it was water-damaged?

12. Dim Domdom

Dim Domdom Guest

Nope the ******* didn't, but at least he sold it as "for parts or repair".