I just called starbucks

IphoneTony

Zealot
Gold
Nov 10, 2007
New Jersey
So me being the curious one I decided to give a few starbucks shops a call.. I say hello I hear you are closing today for training regarding the update ordering system.. ( I wait for a reaction) Yes we will be closing at 530 replies associate.. I ask are you training on the new system Apple is setting up.. Then I get a reply of all I know its training on how to serve customers

What company closes all of their stores for training on how to serve customers?
I think the ordering system is about to come out soon for the iPhone...

Bone

Zealot
Gold
Feb 11, 2008
interesting......... To bad I don't like starbucks.

Spikefood

Bronze
Oct 3, 2007
I can see this whole iPhone Starbucks ordering deal getting very buggy in the start. I wouldn't use it until it was perfect.

Bone

Zealot
Gold
Feb 11, 2008
Gasp. I live on Starbucks.

- John
I honestly like making my own coffee. Its not that they don't have good coffee, lol. I just like mine better. :)

The Apple

Zealot
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
Indiana
LOL Starbucks is too good. It might be the frickin devil!

IphoneTony

Zealot
Gold
Nov 10, 2007
New Jersey
fox news just was talking about it too.. they say sales are down that is why they are doing this training meeting.. I say prices are too high...

Dawgfan

Bronze
Jul 27, 2007
Atlanta, GA
If there is something apple-related I don't think they know and if they do they are under some strict orders not to say.

I have a Starbucks I go to EVERY SINGLE morning and I asked them about it today and their response was a not-so-stoked "we have to get trained.."

I think they would tell me something if there was something that they KNEW about. I go there every day and they make my drink before I get to the counter. My fiance went their one Saturday and ordered my drink and they asked her (totally random as they didn't know her) if it was for me...

She told me I go too often....

kunfuzious

Bronze
Nov 3, 2007
Boulder
I work in commercial real estate, and at a number of our centers we have Starbucks as a tenant. According to their director of real estate (which for all intents and purposes is the head of most any companies retail divisions) the closing was for an updated "best practices" training relating to improving quality and efficiencies within the store operating procedures.

Does this mean its not related to Apple? No. But as a betting man I'd wager on the side of non Apple training. As a regular Starbucks customer however, I hope I'm wrong. :laugh2:

zanDark

Dec 14, 2007
Athens - Greece

- John
That makes two of us although it's outrageously expensive in Greece...don't know what you make of the prices in the States

oh poo now I can't wait for it to be morning so I can grab my coffee on the way to work! :p

Runamuck

Bronze
Jan 30, 2008
My wife works for Starbucks. She says this has nothing to do with Apple. They are "re-emphasizing" service excellence or some crapola like that.

Sales are down. They are dropping all breakfast items since the smell of cooking food hurts the "coffee aroma." Howard Shultz is a major egomaniac and believes the way forward is to go backwards to what they were doing when he first founded the company. So just about all the "new stuff" they've done for the past several years is being reversed and they are going back to plain coffee sales.

And btw to whoever said it....the real estate peeps at SBUX are peons. There are like hundreds of them and they all report up into operations. In most retail organizations, merchandising (product) or operations (service) runs the company. In the case of SBUX, it's ops.

Howard's memo to the field can be read here. It outlines the reasons for tonights' training.

Dawgfan

Bronze
Jul 27, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I love the fact they are going back to the basics. I want to smell ONLY the coffee, I want them consistently making the perfect cup of joe again.. The consistency between locations has gotten pretty dismal or at least variable..

Runamuck

Bronze
Jan 30, 2008
what? Thats so lame! I love that low fat turkey bacon breakfast sandwhich :-(
I used to own a franchised restaurant. The Breakfast daypart is THE most difficult time of day to make a profit. You have to have seriously high traffic/sales to offset the expense of the food costs for breakfast items. Eggs, dairy (milk/cheese) and other breakfast ingredients don't keep long once cooked, are high food cost items and people just won't pay as much for breakfast items as they will for lunch or dinner items. So you have to mark them down to razor-thin margins to boot.

Starbucks had no businesss trying to sell breakfast items in the first place. Their entire food line is outsourced to area bakeries and commissary operators (they control the specs and recipes). So they were already losing money by outsourcing food prep. Then the stuff pretty much just didn't sell and the smells DID interfere with their "espresso culture" that people associate with a coffeehouse.

Luckykelleyk

Gold
Jan 12, 2008
Denver, CO
I love the fact they are going back to the basics. I want to smell ONLY the coffee, I want them consistently making the perfect cup of joe again.. The consistency between locations has gotten pretty dismal or at least variable..
Yep, I hate it when I go to a different starbucks, buy my (expensive) coffee, get in my car, and end up having to throw it away because it tastes like...um...something I wouldn't want to drink (to put it nicely)

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
That makes two of us although it's outrageously expensive in Greece...don't know what you make of the prices in the States

oh poo now I can't wait for it to be morning so I can grab my coffee on the way to work! :p

Whoa. Didn't notice you were from Greece. I'm actually headed to Europe for Spring Break (leaving next Thursday) and my friends and I will be making a stop in Athens and are thinking about heading over to Mykonos. What's the weather like over there this time of year? Is it decent beach-going weather? Also, I too have a very sincere love of Starbucks. Luckily, 2 of the SBs near me are licensed so they won't be closing up shop tonight which means I can get my coffee fix.

zanDark

Dec 14, 2007
Athens - Greece
oh yay that's great :laugh2:
Mykonos is reaaaaaally lovely but it's very quiet this time of year (as opposed to the insanity that goes on there in the summertime) and quite windy :eek: it's quite warm now but the beaches are empty I'm afraid..

such a shame you can't come in the summer time and enjoy all the crazy parties!

If I can help you with anything or if you would like some info please feel free to send me a message and I'll be more than happy to help you out!

Have fun! (sorry for the offtopic guys)

gerstyd

Bronze
Sep 17, 2007

- John
But john, you have Dunkin Donuts right down the street from you! I love D&D coffee. Its like liquid love, I wish I could have it in Los Angeles. Stupid Los Angeles.

gerstyd

Bronze
Sep 17, 2007
Maybe Starbucks will stop burning their beans! That would be great!