I just dropped my iPhone in water

kimirike

Bronze
Jul 27, 2007
So I usually have my iPhone in my pocket or my bag. But not tonight, tonight i had it on my lap and when I opened the door and got out of my car my iPhone went flying of into a huge puddle of water:mad:

I nearly cried. I whisked it out of water faster than I've ever done anything before in my life! The phone didn't stay for more than a second in the water I swear, but still damage was done...

I wiped it off tured it off and then turned it back on. I called my house phone to see if it worked and the volume was so low that I couldn't hear anything and I couldn't be heard on the other end! *four letter word*

I tried another call a few minutes later and the sounds seems to have increased but not by much. A little message comes on randomly and tells me that "this accessory cannot be used unless in airport mode yadda yadda" what accessory? I have no accessories! *another four letter word*

I turned it off now and just feel like kicking myself! ugh this was how I lost my old sony ericsson T637. that phone fell hard and into water!

geordisjd

Zealot
Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
Turn it completely off, let it dry for a couple of days in a very dry area, with some silica packs or rice to absorb the moisture. Never use a wet phone. That's what's kills it.
Try it again after 2 days.

connie

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 11, 2007
So Cal
I know it's not the same but I had a water bottle spill over on my iPhone that went unoticed for a little while. When I finally saw it I was horrified and picked up my phone. I dried it with a towel and the touch screen was totally out and not working. I let it dry overnight. In the morning I connected it to iTunes and did a complete restore, still nothing. I couldn't use or dial from the top half of my phone. I took it to the Apple store (I didn't say it got wet). I told them my phone was having some problems, they just exchanged it for a new one. You might want to just try and let it dry out and if you continue having problems take it to the Apple store and see.

kimirike

Bronze
Jul 27, 2007
sigh thanks for the advice 2 days without my iPhone how am I to survive?
I'll try the rice technique, I don't have silica packs. I heard about using blow dryers but uh that just seems too risky for me...

Jun 11, 2007
Lansing, MI
www.freemod.net
Ouch... Though I can tell that you were trying to be sure that it worked, you should have forced it off immediately and then let it remain off for probably a day. I hope that there are no long term effects from this unfortunate event... I too have had this happen (the part about leaving a phone in my lap while driving, then getting out, forgetting it's there.)

kimirike

Bronze
Jul 27, 2007
I know it's not the same but I had a water bottle spill over on my iPhone that went unoticed for a little while. When I finally saw it I was horrified and picked up my phone. I dried it with a towel and the touch screen was totally out and not working. I let it dry overnight. In the morning I connected it to iTunes and did a complete restore, still nothing. I couldn't use or dial from the top half of my phone. I took it to the Apple store (I didn't say it got wet). I told them my phone was having some problems, they just exchanged it for a new one. You might want to just try and let it dry out and if you continue having problems take it to the Apple store and see.
Yeah I might do that except the nearest Apple store is 200 miles away! Congrats on getting the new one though!

connie

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 11, 2007
So Cal
Yeah I might do that except the nearest Apple store is 200 miles away! Congrats on getting the new one though!
My nearest Apple store is not very close to me either. If you do decide to go make sure you make an online appointment with a genius. I went without an appointment and they made me come back the next day.

kimirike

Bronze
Jul 27, 2007
Ouch... Though I can tell that you were trying to be sure that it worked, you should have forced it off immediately and then let it remain off for probably a day. I hope that there are no long term effects from this unfortunate event... I too have had this happen (the part about leaving a phone in my lap while driving, then getting out, forgetting it's there.)
Yeah I know that know *kicks herself*, i should done some research before messing with it but I'm too impatient. I honestly never thought I would drop it in water, geez was I wrong, wrong, wrong.

kimirike

Bronze
Jul 27, 2007
My nearest Apple store is not very close to me either. If you do decide to go make sure you make an online appointment with a genius. I went without an appointment and they made me come back the next day.
that sucks I didn't know you had to make an appointment. Thanks for the heads up, if not the I would've probably wasted my time.

domi

Bronze
Aug 13, 2007
Texas
Vodka + iPhone = NOT GOOD!

hmmmmm, i feel your pain... i was very very drunk on Saturday and somehow my iPhone ended up in a glass of Vodka and Redbull...ten minutes later when im getting off my car i decide im going to make a call and in my cup holder my iPhone is apparently having intercourse with the Vodka. and of course it wasn't going to turn on.. its been off since then and im not going to try to turn it on anytime soon...hope fully it works again.. in the mean time i went to the AT&T store and bought my self a blackberry curve.. i don't like it... i miss my iPhone...:(

48Dodge

Dec 4, 2007
The air coming out the back of the fridge is usually pretty warm and dry so you may want to stick it up there to help dry it out.

kimirike

Bronze
Jul 27, 2007
but why would anyone do that? my little brain can't comprehend!

Anyway, little update here I put my iPhone in rice overnight and this morning when I looked at it it had TWO friggin' rice grains in the headset jack ! arghgh

I panicked and went to go fetch a tiny pair of scissors and tried to fish them out but no luck.
Then I went all survival and sucked them out and little piece of mud came out! nasty, but at least the two grains of rice also came out. I checked the charger and it was good so i guess I'll wait and see if it works tomorrow. I'm scared the rice might have done more damage. sigh:(