I just got a 2g iPhone!

Mar 23, 2009
I just an unlocked jailbreaked iPhone.

its 2g 8gb.

I am totally lost in this new gadget.

After searching this forum and the internet for hours, I feel more lost since I started.

So questions:
I don't have WiFi, am I still able to install apps?

Is it possible to install apps through my pc? How?

At certain angles, I see white spots that are under the screen. Should I be worry? It looks like the screen has been pressed hard or something. They're more noticeable when the screen is completely dark.

Thanks!:laugh2:

Saverino

Zealot
Gold
Jun 1, 2008
Burbank
You don't need WiFi to install apps. You can use EDGE.

To install apps from your computer, go to the iTunes store, download the app and then plug your phone into the computer and it'll sync the app(s) to the phone.

Mar 23, 2009
How do I install 3rd party apps?

Do I use iTunes as well?

Are there other programs to load my music into my iPhone with the hassle of iTunes? I tried Anapod (used it w/ my ipod in the past) but it doesn't seem to work w/ the iPhone

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Go to the apps store in iTunes on your computer and download the apps. After that, sync your phone and it will install them on the phone. You can also download apps that are less than 10 mb (since you don't have WiFi) on the phone directly by going to the apps store.

I suggest you read the iPhone user guide.
http://manuals.info.apple.com/MANUALS/1000/MA1565/en_US/iphone_user_guide.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:

iPhAddict

Mar 23, 2009
www.unlock-the-iphone.com
Yes you should be worried about those white spots.
It may be dead pixels. You've mentioned that you just got your iPhone.
So, I'm assuming its still under warranty. Take it back to the store
where you purchased it, they can have it replaced with a new one.

Mar 23, 2009
I don't mean installing iTunes purchased apps. I'm asking apps that are user-created. Such as the nes emulator.

Also the screen doesn't look like it has dead pixels. The phone was used, it looks like the screen was pressed down to firm.

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
I don't mean installing iTunes purchased apps. I'm asking apps that are user-created. Such as the nes emulator.

Also the screen doesn't look like it has dead pixels. The phone was used, it looks like the screen was pressed down to firm.
It is likely that the LCD has been damaged. Is it possible to take a picture with a camera and then post it here to give us a better idea?

Mar 23, 2009
What i notice in that thread is that most of the ways to add apps to the iPhone is over WiFi.

I don't have WiFi access. Can I add apps when the iPhone is connected to my pc?

BazookaAce

Bronze
Oct 20, 2008
Yes, just open iTunes on your computer, go to iTunes Store, navigate to the AppStore, download the apps, connect your iPhone to the computer using the USB-cable, the iPhone will now be showned in iTunes, navigate to the "Applications"-tab, and sync.

Mar 23, 2009
How do you add 3rd party apps(like the nes emulator) into the iTunes library?

Mar 23, 2009
So what pc program do you use to install 3rd party apps into the iPhone without wifi?

BazookaAce

Bronze
Oct 20, 2008
The NES-emulator is only on Cydia. (A application like AppStore for Jailbreaked iPhones).

Other 3rd-party apps that you download from the AppStore can be downloaded through iTunes on your computer. You don't need to have WiFi to do this.

- Open iTunes
- Press "iTunes Store" (On the left side)
- Navigate to "AppStore" (Look to your left side)
- Find some apps to download
- Now look in the "Applications"-folder on the left side of iTunes. (Under Music/Movies/Ringtones etc.
- Your downloaded apps will be here.
- Now go to your iPhone in iTunes
- Go to the "Applications"-tab
- Choose the apps in the dropdown menu
- Sync

Done

BazookaAce

Bronze
Oct 20, 2008
Or, you can install apps directly from your iPhone by entering "AppStore" on your iPhone.

You must have a itunes-account to download apps. Register on iTunes on your computer.

kenneth

Zealot
Gold
Aug 19, 2008
Texas
Wolfe, you need to go into cydia and download the app called NES then you have to look for and download ROMs onto your PC. Once you have downloaded the ROMs you have to SSH into your iPhone and create a folder to place the ROMs into. Reboot the phone and they will be in the NES app. You need to watch YouTube for the exact steps to do this. It will have several videos of how to do this, where to create the folder, how to SSH, where to get the ROMs. YouTube is a iPhone hackers best friend.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
So what pc program do you use to install 3rd party apps into the iPhone without wifi?
You install them through Cydia on the phone with your 3G or Edge connection. WiFi is often faster than 3G, but you don't need WiFi to download and install apps since the phone comes with an internet plan (3G or Edge).