I just got into AT&T and iPhone 3G 2 weeks ago, how should I proceed

May 20, 2009
to get the new iPhone if it is announced at WWDC?

Thanks

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
Hold out and wait till the new iPhone is released...

It's a maximum of 2months ish. It'll be worth it :)

May 20, 2009
Hold out and wait till the new iPhone is released...

It's a maximum of 2months ish. It'll be worth it :)

but as i said, i already got the iPhone 3g 16gb for 80$, what should I do when they announce a new one?

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
" I just got into AT&T and iPhone 3g 2 weeks ago, how should I proceed
to get the new iPhone if it is announced at WWDC?

Thanks "

I thought you meant you were getting into the idea of getting one... My bad.

There is loads of things you can do with it.. get on the app store 'there's something for everyone' download some games i.e fieldrunners, assassins creed, NFS... The list goes one.

You could go through the jailbreak process and get your phone modified, custom backgrounds/ringtones- give it a personal touch.

Can i ask why you bought the phone so close to a possible release date?

You could sell the one you have now (if it's in good condition) on ebay or something. The price probably wont be too good but as i said it's only a suggestion.

iphun

Zealot
Gold
Mar 16, 2009
PA
You only got it 2 weeks ago and I am pretty sure AT&T has a 30 day return policy for the plan and phone. It's up to you, but if you wanted to you could return the phone and cancel the contract using that policy. Just make sure you aren't restricted to a certain period where you can't re join AT&T because you returned it and cancelled the contract.

If you want to upgrade to the one they will likely announce at WWDC, you are signed into a 2 yr contract with the 3g you just bought and will not be eligible to upgrade for a while(and I mean a WHILE). When they release the new phone you will have to pay the full unsubsidized price, so that is why I said you might want to hold out for the new one and return the one you have now. It all depends on how bad you want the new one. Also WWDC might be in that 30 day window and you could wait to see if what they announce is appealing to you.

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
You only got it 2 weeks ago and I am pretty sure AT&T has a 30 day return policy for the plan and phone. It's up to you, but if you wanted to you could return the phone and cancel the contract using that policy. Just make sure you aren't restricted to a certain period where you can't re join AT&T because you returned it and cancelled the contract.

If you want to upgrade to the one they will likely announce at WWDC, you are signed into a 2 yr contract with the 3g you just bought and will not be eligible to upgrade for a while(and I mean a WHILE). When they release the new phone you will have to pay the full unsubsidized price, so that is why I said you might want to hold out for the new one and return the one you have now. It all depends on how bad you want the new one. Also WWDC might be in that 30 day window and you could wait to see if what they announce is appealing to you.

Agreed.

AT&T is a strange network... we don't get half that mither in the UK on o2. Rather you guys than me :)

May 20, 2009

according to AT&T i have a businesss account whcih means i have an early upgrade but its still expensive, its like 200$ off the fully subsidized price. I wanted to know if I can renew my contract 2 months after starting it.

iphun

Zealot
Gold
Mar 16, 2009
PA
according to AT&T i have a businesss account whcih means i have an early upgrade but its still expensive, its like 200$ off the fully subsidized price. I wanted to know if I can renew my contract 2 months after starting it.
Yeah you can renew it, but they might charge you some renewing fee. When a new one comes out you will probably not get that early upgrade because the newest ones rewrite the rules to make you pay the full price. They probably offered you the 3g so cheap because they want rid of them for the new release.

May 20, 2009
new iPhone looks like its going to b a lot better, more battery is best

May 20, 2009
Yeah you can renew it, but they might charge you some renewing fee. When a new one comes out you will probably not get that early upgrade because the newest ones rewrite the rules to make you pay the full price. They probably offered you the 3g so cheap because they want rid of them for the new release.

that might be true but remember ATT pretty much confirmed today that the new iPhone will come with a new data plan of 20$ instead of 30$.

iphun

Zealot
Gold
Mar 16, 2009
PA
that might be true but remember ATT pretty much confirmed today that the new iPhone will come with a new data plan of 20$ instead of 30$.
Yeah but if they compromise there they won't in any other way, but the price of the phone is chosen by Apple and AT&T subsidizes it so to let you get a new iPhone with the subsidized price a few months after your iPhone purchase and contract signing just will not happen. That is something that they will never let go of because they know you will end up paying it. I sat on the phone with the businesss people for hours as I have one of those accounts too and the guy told me that with any other phone they are allowed to give you it early(but not as early as you would be into your contract) but Apple and AT&T set rules together that prohibit giving it subsidized when you aren't eligible. I was two months away from my date, and they just would not help me out. They will not do it for you especially since you barely have had the phone you have now.

I have also heard of that price drop and I thought there was a plan behind that, but I am hearing now that the $20 one might be for limited data as the $30 would remain unlimited data.

May 20, 2009
Yeah but if they compromise there they won't in any other way, but the price of the phone is chosen by Apple and AT&T subsidizes it so to let you get a new iPhone with the subsidized price a few months after your iPhone purchase and contract signing just will not happen. That is something that they will never let go of because they know you will end up paying it. I sat on the phone with the businesss people for hours as I have one of those accounts too and the guy told me that with any other phone they are allowed to give you it early(but not as early as you would be into your contract) but Apple and AT&T set rules together that prohibit giving it subsidized when you aren't eligible. I was two months away from my date, and they just would not help me out. They will not do it for you especially since you barely have had the phone you have now.

I have also heard of that price drop and I thought there was a plan behind that, but I am hearing now that the $20 one might be for limited data as the $30 would remain unlimited data.
i just heard from ATT that my early upgrade option starts on June 5th 2009, thats in a month, i can get the iPhone 3.0 for 399(16gb) and 499(32gb) if they are the same price .

that means if i can sell my iPhone 3g 16 gb for over 350 unlocked on ebay or craigslist, i can cover the price

iphun

Zealot
Gold
Mar 16, 2009
PA
i just heard from ATT that my early upgrade option starts on June 5th 2009, thats in a month, i can get the iPhone 3.0 for 399(16gb) and 499(32gb) if they are the same price .

that means if i can sell my iPhone 3g 16 gb for over 350 unlocked on ebay or craigslist, i can cover the price
Yeah that's the unsubsidized price, but as long as people are still willing to buy the old 3g's and it's in good condition then that will work perfect.

May 20, 2009
Yeah that's the unsubsidized price, but as long as people are still willing to buy the old 3g's and it's in good condition then that will work perfect.

its in perfect condition, i got it only 2 weeks ago. screen is protected with screen protected and back with a case

and no the unsubsized price is 599 for 8 gb and 699 for 16 gb. the early upgrade brings it 200$ off

iphun

Zealot
Gold
Mar 16, 2009
PA
its in perfect condition, i got it only 2 weeks ago. screen is protected with screen protected and back with a case
Duh, I forgot you only got it two weeks ago, lol. Yeah I don't think you'll get as much as you want because demand will go down for the old version, but that doesn't mean you won't get a decent amount.

May 20, 2009
Duh, I forgot you only got it two weeks ago, lol. Yeah I don't think you'll get as much as you want because demand will go down for the old version, but that doesn't mean you won't get a decent amount.
iPhone 2g 8gb still sells for 200-250 a year after it was updated with the 3g. so i think i can fetch a price over 300 for the iPhone 3g.

iphun

Zealot
Gold
Mar 16, 2009
PA
iPhone 2g 8gb still sells for 200-250 a year after it was updated with the 3g. so i think i can fetch a price over 300 for the iPhone 3g.
Oh wow I just remember that right after the 3g came out the 2g was hard to sell at a higher price, but that obviously has changed. Yeah you'll probably be fine selling it.

May 20, 2009
Oh wow I just remember that right after the 3g came out the 2g was hard to sell at a higher price, but that obviously has changed. Yeah you'll probably be fine selling it.
thats because 2g wasn't subsidized, 3g is