I just had a sneaky thought....

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

ahactor

Bronze
Apr 4, 2007
Hickland, OH
A very sneaky thought indeed. =]

Sooooooooo... since it is possible that existing AT&T Customers such as myself that ARE eligible for an upgrade to get a new phone for free, can we still do so? My sneaky thought is, I could get a two-year contract, a free phone, then buy the iPhone because apparently I won't get a discount on it. Therefore, I could get a free phone for no extra. And know what I can do with that free phone? I could not open that phone's package and sell it on ebay later new in the box. =]

Think I could do it?

iphonenotify

Bronze
Jun 6, 2007

Sooooooooo... since it is possible that existing AT&T Customers such as myself that ARE eligible for an upgrade to get a new phone for free, can we still do so? My sneaky thought is, I could get a two-year contract, a free phone, then buy the iPhone because apparently I won't get a discount on it. Therefore, I could get a free phone for no extra. And know what I can do with that free phone? I could not open that phone's package and sell it on ebay later new in the box. =]

Think I could do it?
why?:(

gsxr370

Apr 12, 2007
i had a blackberry pearl from tmobile. In exactly 2 months I got my 4th replacement phone under warranty. I said f this phone and sold it on ebay for 325. I only paid 200. Went back to my old phone and have been waiting for the iPhone. Not sure if they like that,...... and tmobile is a much easier company to deal with in my experience. ATT might have rules against that.... they seem to try to squeeze every dollar they can out of their customers

May 6, 2007
United States

Think I could do it?

Yeah, they definitely won't like it, but I think you could give it a shot.

jtlax3

Bronze
May 31, 2007
from what I have heard you would have to extend your contract two years. so you would end up with a 4 year contract essentially. of course I really have no idea for sure... :)

ahactor

Bronze
Apr 4, 2007
Hickland, OH
No, they extend it 2 years from the date of the new signing.
Uh-huh!
For clarity, in Cingular, when your contract ends, you are pushed to sign up for another 2 yrs, and you get a phone at a discount price. I'm saying, I could get that discount phone (a free one) AND the iPhone, which requires that two year contract. This way, I could get something for free, and then sell it later! =]

brinox

Bronze
Apr 30, 2007
Uh-huh!
For clarity, in Cingular, when your contract ends, you are pushed to sign up for another 2 yrs, and you get a phone at a discount price. I'm saying, I could get that discount phone (a free one) AND the iPhone, which requires that two year contract. This way, I could get something for free, and then sell it later! =]
or keep it for when you go into sticky situations, like a concert or the beach/pool. thats what i want to do, buy some cheap random phone on ebay and pop my sim card in it no problem :D

jtlax3

Bronze
May 31, 2007
or keep it for when you go into sticky situations, like a concert or the beach/pool. thats what i want to do, buy some cheap random phone on ebay and pop my sim card in it no problem :D
interesting idea. i hadn't thought of doing that...

dubin

Jun 20, 2007
This is exactly what I did.. I grabbed a BB Curve on June 4th for $99, I am waiting to see if we can get away with this or not.. if they require me to be eligible I am just going to return the BB as I will be within 30 days..

If I can flip it on Ebay I will probably make like $300
m.