I just suffered another crash!

Dallas Phil

Bronze
Jul 4, 2007
WOW I am really getting sick of this. Anyway, I crashed while updating an application. I called Apple support and they theoize, and I concur, that I just have too apps installed on my iPhone. I have around 60. I again bitched about backups taking so long yada, yada, yada. Anyway, the Apple support guy gave me a few tips. First of all, just have the settings you like, mail accounts, contacts, calendar, and any app that has user settings on your iPhone. Then force a back up by right clicking on your iPhone device in iTunes. Now you have a backup with your settings and very few apps. The back up does not take long. Then sync whatever apps you want. I really scaledown on the apps I put back on my iPhone. Now, when you go to sync and iTunes starts automatically starts making a back up, just click the little X up on the status bar that is showing a backup. All this does is stops the back up but then it will continuing syncing w/o doing a backup. If you ever need to restore from backup, you have your settings, etc, with no apps in a backup file. The restore is much quicker and hopefully will reduce on the number of corrupt backups. The Apple support guy also told me, who knows if he knew what he was talking about, but he said there is an iTunes update coming that will give you the options on what you want to backup on your iPhone. This is a big yeah for me. Secondly, he said that the next iPhone update would try to address stabalizing apps so they do not cause crashes. That is the latest from Dallas. :laugh2:

Tug

Silver
Aug 4, 2008
Thanks for the update D but what about the dropped calls?

Dallas Phil

Bronze
Jul 4, 2007
As long as I turn off the 3G, I have no issues with dropped calls and the phone works great with the car's built in bluetooth.

Tug

Silver
Aug 4, 2008
I have the 3G turned off and the person Im speaking to still hears an echo when I'm using the blue tooth.

While I was driving I experienced 2 dropped calls on a 10 minute phone call. I wouldn't normally complain but I was driving on the I-25 in Denver in an area where reception shouldn't be an issue (near mile high stadium). I called AT&T tech support when I got home and had to have her call me on my home phone because the reception was so poor.

MileHighRob

Zealot
Gold
Jul 16, 2008
Colorado
I have the 3G turned off and the person Im speaking to still hears an echo when I'm using the blue tooth.

While I was driving I experienced 2 dropped calls on a 10 minute phone call. I wouldn't normally complain but I was driving on the I-25 in Denver in an area where reception shouldn't be an issue (near mile high stadium). I called AT&T tech support when I got home and had to have her call me on my home phone because the reception was so poor.
So were you using the EDGE network when you dropped those calls Tug?

Tug

Silver
Aug 4, 2008
So were you using the EDGE network when you dropped those calls Tug?

Sure am.

I'm on the phone with AT&T right now, the rep just said they're having a record number of calls due to the all the problems their having with the 3G.

Tug

Silver
Aug 4, 2008
I drop calls on 3G but rarely ever on edge.

I have to call AT&T tech support on a land line if I try to call them on my cell phone the call constantly gets dropped. If I do happen to call them from my cell phone the first thing I tell the tech support rep is if the call gets dropped PLEASE call me back.

They believe the answer to my problems is a new sim card which I'm going to pick up later today. Not sure what their going to do after that doesn't work.

barbie

Bronze
Jul 8, 2008
the driver's seat
I have a lot more dropped calls on this than with my previous phone a REALLY OLD phone with a blue att sim card. Also I too had another little issue I closed my laptop during a sync (oops, blond moment) then it wouldn't sync and said the disk could not be read or written too. I restored it overnight and synced it this morning it seems fine.

ravman

Zealot
Gold
Oct 4, 2007
Mean Streets of LA.
Phil, there is a way of working around the "having too many apps" installed and the phone crashing. But is does involve jail breaking.

Don't quote me on this, but this is just what I have learned via self experience and the net.

The OSX allocates 500mb on the iPhone for applications. Of course, the more apps you have, the more space is used and the crashes begin. When you jail break, you have the option of increasing this 500mb application space, for a larger size. I've increased mine to 2gb and the phone has become a lot more stable since. Granted I have now lost some storage space, but I can live with that for the sake of a stable phone.

WOW I am really getting sick of this. Anyway, I crashed while updating an application. I called Apple support and they theoize, and I concur, that I just have too apps installed on my iPhone. I have around 60. I again bitched about backups taking so long yada, yada, yada. Anyway, the Apple support guy gave me a few tips. First of all, just have the settings you like, mail accounts, contacts, calendar, and any app that has user settings on your iPhone. Then force a back up by right clicking on your iPhone device in iTunes. Now you have a backup with your settings and very few apps. The back up does not take long. Then sync whatever apps you want. I really scaledown on the apps I put back on my iPhone. Now, when you go to sync and iTunes starts automatically starts making a back up, just click the little X up on the status bar that is showing a backup. All this does is stops the back up but then it will continuing syncing w/o doing a backup. If you ever need to restore from backup, you have your settings, etc, with no apps in a backup file. The restore is much quicker and hopefully will reduce on the number of corrupt backups. The Apple support guy also told me, who knows if he knew what he was talking about, but he said there is an iTunes update coming that will give you the options on what you want to backup on your iPhone. This is a big yeah for me. Secondly, he said that the next iPhone update would try to address stabalizing apps so they do not cause crashes. That is the latest from Dallas. :laugh2:

Dallas Phil

Bronze
Jul 4, 2007
Interesting. I did not realize that about the apps allocated space. I have left a lot of mine off and the phone is a lot more stable. Hopefully the software update that is coming will address this issue.

MileHighRob

Zealot
Gold
Jul 16, 2008
Colorado
I have to call AT&T tech support on a land line if I try to call them on my cell phone the call constantly gets dropped. If I do happen to call them from my cell phone the first thing I tell the tech support rep is if the call gets dropped PLEASE call me back.

They believe the answer to my problems is a new sim card which I'm going to pick up later today. Not sure what their going to do after that doesn't work.
That used to be what Apple would tell v1 customers when they didn't know what to do about an issue... now AT&T is using that- priceless!