I just want my Yahoo Email on my New iPhone

Dec 27, 2008
I am at wits end trying to get email to my new iPhone.
I have used Yahoo for 10+ years, but as I understand, there system has a conflict or something that makes it sometimes difficult to get emails to the iPhone.
I then pushed all my Yahoo emails to my Outlook on my PC, and ........................................WAIT
While writing this post, I was re-creating the events to provide an accurate account of what was happening to me, and It finally hooked up! ?
I am not ashamed to say that I am at TOTAL novice, but something just doesn't seem right! :0
BUT Now....... when I compose emails, it reads that I sent them from my ISP email address that none of my contacts will recognize.......... At least I can get my emails for now....until i can figure out how to get my yahoo to work! Or get my emails to "appear" as though they were coming from my Yahoo...?
Any help would be appreciated~!
Thanks!

Swagger

Gold
Jul 9, 2007
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
web.me.com
I am at wits end trying to get email to my new iPhone.
I have used Yahoo for 10+ years, but as I understand, there system has a conflict or something that makes it sometimes difficult to get emails to the iPhone.
I then pushed all my Yahoo emails to my Outlook on my PC, and ........................................WAIT
While writing this post, I was re-creating the events to provide an accurate account of what was happening to me, and It finally hooked up! ?
I am not ashamed to say that I am at TOTAL novice, but something just doesn't seem right! :0
BUT Now....... when I compose emails, it reads that I sent them from my ISP email address that none of my contacts will recognize.......... At least I can get my emails for now....until i can figure out how to get my yahoo to work! Or get my emails to "appear" as though they were coming from my Yahoo...?
Any help would be appreciated~!
Thanks!
Did you set up Yahoo mail by the default settings on the iPhone? It's pretty simple all you need is your user name and password the iPhone will do the rest. You might need to delete the account and start over...Mark

Dec 27, 2008
Did you set up Yahoo mail by the default settings on the iPhone? It's pretty simple all you need is your user name and password the iPhone will do the rest. You might need to delete the account and start over...Mark
oooo yes, i have set it up many many many times, and after searching the internet for solutions, I have deleted, entered, deleted, turned off the phone, Stood on my head, held my breath...... While setting it up, It gives me Check's and looks like everything is HunkyDorry, but the only emails I get are for 8 days, from Dec 9 back to Dec 2, and that is all there is. Nothing older, nothing newer, and I can actually SEND email, but it doesn't show in my SENT folder, and if someone answers me, I do not know, as i have no current emails coming to my phone. It is so weird.
Actually now, I am not getting any of my Yahoo emails on my iPhone, they are going to my Outlook, but i am only receiving emails sent directly to my Outlook ISP pop mail? I thought I would get anything that goes to my Outlook box? I am stumped again..... :(

Swagger

Gold
Jul 9, 2007
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
web.me.com
oooo yes, i have set it up many many many times, and after searching the internet for solutions, I have deleted, entered, deleted, turned off the phone, Stood on my head, held my breath...... While setting it up, It gives me Check's and looks like everything is HunkyDorry, but the only emails I get are for 8 days, from Dec 9 back to Dec 2, and that is all there is. Nothing older, nothing newer, and I can actually SEND email, but it doesn't show in my SENT folder, and if someone answers me, I do not know, as i have no current emails coming to my phone. It is so weird.
Actually now, I am not getting any of my Yahoo emails on my iPhone, they are going to my Outlook, but i am only receiving emails sent directly to my Outlook ISP pop mail? I thought I would get anything that goes to my Outlook box? I am stumped again..... :(
The reason this is happening is because you have your Yahoo mail being managed by Outlook. Separate your yahoo mail from Outlook>Delete the yahoo account on iPhone>restart your iPhone>reinstall yahoo account...Mark

Dec 27, 2008
The reason this is happening is because you have your Yahoo mail being managed by Outlook. Separate your yahoo mail from Outlook>Delete the yahoo account on iPhone>restart your iPhone>reinstall yahoo account...Mark
I will try that if you think it will work, just letting you know that forwarding my yahoo emails to my outlook was in a last ditch effort to try and get emails while we were out of town for the next week, instead of having to go to Yahoo via the internet connection. :(
I tried several times before to set Yahoo email up, and it did not work....after reading some posts on the internet, it seems as though there is a problem with Yahoo and iPhone emails, and then I decided to try a "workaround", but the novice that I am, it is not working...:(

Swagger

Gold
Jul 9, 2007
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
web.me.com
I will try that if you think it will work, just letting you know that forwarding my yahoo emails to my outlook was in a last ditch effort to try and get emails while we were out of town for the next week, instead of having to go to Yahoo via the internet connection. :(
I tried several times before to set Yahoo email up, and it did not work....after reading some posts on the internet, it seems as though there is a problem with Yahoo and iPhone emails, and then I decided to try a "workaround", but the novice that I am, it is not working...:(
You can also try setting up the Yahoo account from the "Other" email setting on iPhone. You will manually need to enter all settings. You can obtain those settings by accessing your yahoo account then selecting settings. You will then be walked through a manual install via yahoo tutorial. I know for a fact that the old mail being downloaded to your phone is a direct result of being tied to Outlook....Mark

Got this from Appleinsider.com

Important Notice About Your Yahoo! Mail Plus Account

Dear Yahoo! Mail Plus user,

We have important news for Yahoo! Mail Plus subscribers who are
currently using our "POP" feature to send messages via external
email clients such as Microsoft Outlook, Outlook Express,
Thunderbird, Apple Mail, etc. (also called "SMTP access"). If you are
accessing your Yahoo! Mail Plus exclusively through our Web
interface, this message does not apply to you.

Recently, we saw an unexpected increase in traffic through the
servers dedicated to sending Yahoo! Mail Plus POP/SMTP messages. As a
result, some users have experienced varying delays in the delivery of
Yahoo! Mail messages sent via external email clients. We understand
that this has been frustrating, and sincerely apologize for the
inconvenience.

What Has Changed?

We have recently installed new servers to improve the performance of
Yahoo! Mail Plus SMTP access. We have spent the last several days
upgrading our hardware and restructuring the allocation of bandwidth
for these servers. We are confident these changes will resolve the
recent problems and increase our system's reliability.

Because of these improvements, the settings for your outgoing mail
server (SMTP) should change.

What Do I Need to Do?

To ensure that your email client is properly configured to access the
new outgoing mail servers (SMTP), please follow these brief steps:

1. Sign in to your Yahoo! Mail Plus account
2. Go to "Mail Options" --> "POP access" --> "View POP settings"
3. Review the updated settings in "POP Access Settings"
4. If needed, set your email client to the new server:
plus.smtp.mail.yahoo.com

Or follow these detailed instructions to update your Mail Plus SMTP
settings:
http://help.yahoo.com/l/us/yahoo/mai...op/pop-35.html

Please check the Yahoo! Mail Blog for frequent updates on
this and many other Yahoo! Mail topics.

We deeply value and appreciate your continued businesss.

Thank you,

John Kremer
Vice President, Yahoo! Mail

Dec 27, 2008
You can also try setting up the Yahoo account from the "Other" email setting on iPhone. You will manually need to enter all settings. You can obtain those settings by accessing your yahoo account then selecting settings. You will then be walked through a manual install via yahoo tutorial. I know for a fact that the old mail being downloaded to your phone is a direct result of being tied to Outlook....Mark

Got this from Appleinsider.com

I have taken my Yahoo off Outlook completely
Deleted my yahoo account off my iPhone
Reset network settings on my iPhone
Added my yahoo account via the "Other"option
It did give me an error message about the SSL, and I let it continue set without using it, but i now have my latest emails!
BUT---a new little problemI just tried to Reply to my Husbands email, and it said that message was not sent, recipient Invalid, and i tried to reply to one of my test messages from my yahoo web-based email, and they are both just sitting in my Outbox?

Important Notice About Your Yahoo! Mail Plus Account

Dear Yahoo! Mail Plus user,

We have important news for Yahoo! Mail Plus subscribers who are
currently using our "POP" feature to send messages via external
email clients such as Microsoft Outlook, Outlook Express,
Thunderbird, Apple Mail, etc. (also called "SMTP access"). If you are
accessing your Yahoo! Mail Plus exclusively through our Web
interface, this message does not apply to you.

Recently, we saw an unexpected increase in traffic through the
servers dedicated to sending Yahoo! Mail Plus POP/SMTP messages. As a
result, some users have experienced varying delays in the delivery of
Yahoo! Mail messages sent via external email clients. We understand
that this has been frustrating, and sincerely apologize for the
inconvenience.

What Has Changed?

We have recently installed new servers to improve the performance of
Yahoo! Mail Plus SMTP access. We have spent the last several days
upgrading our hardware and restructuring the allocation of bandwidth
for these servers. We are confident these changes will resolve the
recent problems and increase our system's reliability.

Because of these improvements, the settings for your outgoing mail
server (SMTP) should change.

What Do I Need to Do?

To ensure that your email client is properly configured to access the
new outgoing mail servers (SMTP), please follow these brief steps:

1. Sign in to your Yahoo! Mail Plus account
2. Go to "Mail Options" --> "POP access" --> "View POP settings"
3. Review the updated settings in "POP Access Settings"
4. If needed, set your email client to the new server:
plus.smtp.mail.yahoo.com

Or follow these detailed instructions to update your Mail Plus SMTP
settings:
http://help.yahoo.com/l/us/yahoo/mai...op/pop-35.html

Please check the Yahoo! Mail Blog for frequent updates on
this and many other Yahoo! Mail topics.

We deeply value and appreciate your continued businesss.

Thank you,

John Kremer
Vice President, Yahoo! Mail
I had tried this before, but just to try again....

i did stop my Yahoo from going to Outlook!
I reset Network settings on my iPhone as someone had suggested
then used the "Other" option setting up an email account on my iPhone, and now i have My Current emails?!?!?
It is like being in the twilight zone....
I have tried to "Reply" to a few different emails, but the iPhone tells me that the addresses are "Invalid", then i also tried Composing and sending an email, and it has not gone either...and they are all 3 just sitting in my Outbox?
Crazy Day!

Swagger

Gold
Jul 9, 2007
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
web.me.com
Yahoo mail and iPhone have not meshed properly since iPhone v1. I think the problem is more of a Yahoo problem than an iPhone problem. I am sure that one of your reasons for getting an iPhone was to access email. Given all the problems with Yahoo mail and iPhone. I would suggest creating a free Gmail account. Google mail has been much more stable on the iPhone. To set up IMAP Gmail on the iPhone bypass the iPhone default Gmail setting and set up via "Other" in the iPhone create a new account settings. Set up the gmail account from your computer. After doing so select the "Settings" tab in the upper right corner of the Gmail window. From there enable the IMAP setting. You can then scroll down the settings page a bit and you will find a written and video tutorial for setting up IMAP Gmail on your iPhone via the "Other" email setting.

It maybe a hassle to change your email address but once done your problems will go away. Gmail in my opinion is a far superior email client than Yahoo mail. You very rarely if ever get spam in your inbox. Plus delivery of Gmail to your phone is pretty quick. Do not tie the Gmail to outlook either as you will get the loading of old emails. I notice that even with a correctly configured Outlook this problem still arises.

You will see in the upcoming weeks that owning an iPhone is going to require you to change some things and also change how you do some things.

The other option to consider (if you don't mind paying 99.00usd per year) is to purchase MobileMe from Apple. I won't go through all the benefits of MobileMe here as you can read about it on Apple's site. I will say if you want to keep everything in sync via the cloud this is your best option for iPhone. Mark

As a Footnote: if you choose the Gmail option you can import your contacts into Gmail via a .csv file from either Yahoo or Outlook. You can also announce your new email address to all of your contacts via email in a few easy steps. If you plan on keeping your iPhone and want reliable email abandon Yahoo now and embrace Gmail. It will save you much heartache. Mark

efuseakay

Contributor
Silver
Nov 11, 2008
Set up Yahoo to forward all your email to a new GMail account, and set up GMail on your iPhone... :)

I have 5 other email accounts... 2 from my ISP, and 3 others, and I have them all forward everything to GMail, which is set up on my iPhone.

I know that's not the perfect solution you were hoping for...

Dec 27, 2008
I am so excited about the responses! I am n a deer blind and will respond later! ThanxOmuch!

Swagger

Gold
Jul 9, 2007
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
web.me.com
Set up Yahoo to forward all your email to a new GMail account, and set up GMail on your iPhone... :)

I have 5 other email accounts... 2 from my ISP, and 3 others, and I have them all forward everything to GMail, which is set up on my iPhone.

I know that's not the perfect solution you were hoping for...
You have to pay to forward Yahoo to Gmail. POP access is a paid version of Yahoo mail. I certainly wouldn't pay for Yahoo mail. MobileMe is a much better choice if paying...Mark

Dec 27, 2008
Well, Bambi is still n the woods! We did not see anything but a rabbit and let it live! I am doing fine after setting my yahoo up through the Other option, andI am getting all of my emails and sending just fine the only thing is that I do not have acres to my other folders, and I think I can live with that, although it would b nice. I DO however have another issue, icannot send or REC text, and I can't seem to get my voicemail set up. It gives a message asking for my phone number but doesn't recognize it. note that my husband surprised me a this iPhone for christmas and they told him that I could just put my sim card n and it would work fine.

Jun 23, 2008
Honolulu, Hawaii
When I bought my iPhone, the Apple Store guy set up my e-mail for me so I walked out of the store with e-mail set up! :laugh2:

Dec 27, 2008
if anyone has any advice for my testing and voicemail I would appreciate any help.... Also I can prepare a text, and it appears that all is well but they never make it through, and no error message......vice versa when others try to text me. Maybe it has something to do with my switching out the SIMcard for my own?

showguy

Silver
Dec 2, 2007
Long Island, NY
It was my impression, and I could be wrong that with the iPhone 3g you had to have it activated at the Apple or ATT store before you left. I don't think you can take a sim card out from one phone and put it in another. Could be part of your problem.

Dec 27, 2008
my husband did surprise me but the peron at the AT&T store assured him that I could put my sim card in and everyhing would be fine. I am now certain that it is not going to be fine but I don't want to hurt his feelings and just trying to work things out, but as soon as I can make it to an ATT store, or Apple store I will try to get more help!

gts

Bronze
Jun 30, 2007
You have to pay to forward Yahoo to Gmail. POP access is a paid version of Yahoo mail. I certainly wouldn't pay for Yahoo mail. MobileMe is a much better choice if paying...Mark[/QUOTE

If everyone is already going to yahoo and you don't want to change that, you can have Gmail send back with the yahoo account as the "reply to". That way, people replying to you will only have your yahoo account and not have to change on their end. Of course that's if you already pay for Yahoo.

efuseakay

Contributor
Silver
Nov 11, 2008
You have to pay to forward Yahoo to Gmail. POP access is a paid version of Yahoo mail. I certainly wouldn't pay for Yahoo mail. MobileMe is a much better choice if paying...Mark
Blah that's right. Forgot about having to pay to fwd Yahoo mail. Oops.

Glad I never got too into Yahoo then. All I do is forward all my other accounts... GMail/Comcast etc. to Mail2Web Live, and that pushes just fine to the iPhone. :)