I Killed My iPhone

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

skaught

Sep 11, 2007
It's completely dead now. I plug it in and it does nothing. iTunes doesn't see it. I hold down buttons and nothing. I think the battery is completely shot. So if they plug it in on their end, they won't be able to start it either.

My wife's iPhone works fine, so it's nothing wrong outside my iPhone.

Scott

petalmom

Silver
Jun 30, 2007
They will send it in for repair, they will figure it out, they will then return it to you in its current state with a note that says "sorry you have voided the warranty".

bmw330ci

Bronze
Sep 22, 2007
so you buy a crap charger and unlock it plus non non Apple third party apps. Then finally you break the thing and hope that Apple gives you a new one?

People like you are the reason people with legit warranty claims have such a hassle making them.

skaught

Sep 11, 2007
I didn't unlock the phone. Plus who knew it was a crap charger. This website is full of third party material that everyone seems to like. Every phone I've ever owned used third party car chargers without problem. The third party software has NOTHING to do with the battery busting. Apple built a phone that breaks if you look at it sideways. I think they should cover it.

Scott

Jul 17, 2007
YOU made a conscious decision to void your warranty. What am I missing here...? Taking personal responsibility seems to be a foreign concept these days.

skaught

Sep 11, 2007
I didn't know plugging in a car charger made by a company other than Apple would void the warranty. This is the case?

Scott

Jul 17, 2007
I didn't know plugging in a car charger made by a company other than Apple would void the warranty. This is the case?

Scott
No it doesn't...

Not trying to be an ***hole but this just an example of the problems that can arise from hacking the phone to use third party apps (hacking = void warranty).

If a hardware issue arises or anything else unrelated to the installation of those apps kills the phone, you’re basically screwed because your warranty is hosed. It’s no longer Apples problem once you decide to hack the phone, regardless of what happens to it.

skaught

Sep 11, 2007
That's what I figured. Since the problem was caused by a legitimate hardware issue and not a hack or modification on my part, I don't see asking Apple to cover the problem as anything unethical. If they decide to use the unrelated software as an "out", there's nothing I can do about that of course.

Scott

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
well, if Apple declines repairing the phone, you can always try ipodjuice.com
They can replace the battery with one that they warranty for 10 years... 10 YEARS!

skaught

Sep 11, 2007
I'm hoping it's only the battery that's fried. That's simple to replace. Could a faulty battery cause software updating problems? I guess if not enough juice was getting to the rest of the phone that could result in issues.

I'm sending it in to Apple since i'm 3 days past my two week period. We'll see how it goes. If they say, "sorry, you installed a third party program", then I'll end up paying whatever it is they normall charge I guess.

Scott

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
If a hardware issue arises or anything else unrelated to the installation of those apps kills the phone, you’re basically screwed because your warranty is hosed. It’s no longer Apples problem once you decide to hack the phone, regardless of what happens to it.
Baloney. Apple can only do that if the mods he did were in fact the cause of the failure. They can't just say, "oh, you changed an icon," that is why the touch-screen failed. Sorry!" Well they can try to say that, but if challenged they would have to show cause-and-effect.

--
Mike

HELPmepLox

Bronze
Jul 15, 2007
So.Cal
Baloney. Apple can only do that if the mods he did were in fact the cause of the failure. They can't just say, "oh, you changed an icon," that is why the touch-screen failed. Sorry!" Well they can try to say that, but if challenged they would have to show cause-and-effect.

--
Mike
true but i bet if it was a plug that messed up the iPhone and if they did find that you have other modification i doubt they help because its all under warranty..

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
true but i bet if it was a plug that messed up the iPhone and if they did find that you have other modification i doubt they help because its all under warranty..
If a faulty charger caused the damage, and it was not an approved charger, then absolutely they could refuse a warranty claim.

--
Mike

Jul 15, 2007
www.submissiveophelia.com
Bleh, nevermind. Just be sure to not use any accessory not made by Apple or it's your neck, apparently.
I spent a lot of money on my iPhone. because it is so expensive and special to me, i make an effort to go all out and keep only the best accessories for it. if it needs a new charger, i will go with the Apple brand. i figure i spent hundreds on the phone, what is it if i spend another 30 for a charger? less hassles.