I kind of miss the old YouTube

shantisyndrome

Bronze
Jun 17, 2012
Because you could listen to music or whatever you are watching without looking at the actual app! I thought it was super convenient. Did people do this with the old YouTube app, do you miss it?

Sent from my iPhone 4S using iCafe app

jmp316

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 10, 2008
Huh? I thought the old YouTube app didn't play audio in the background either. Am I missing something? I personally like the Google developed app better.

shantisyndrome

Bronze
Jun 17, 2012
Huh? I thought the old YouTube app didn't play audio in the background either. Am I missing something? I personally like the Google developed app better.
It diddddd. I just played the video and went back to the home screen, then double clicked the home button and pressed the play button thing and it worked. But not with the new YouTube app. :(

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I'm on 5.1.1, so I still have the old YouTube app. I just started a video and pressed the home button and the music stopped.

jmp316

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 10, 2008
It diddddd. I just played the video and went back to the home screen, then double clicked the home button and pressed the play button thing and it worked. But not with the new YouTube app. :(

Interesting. I never knew this was possible. Have you tried the YouTube web app? That may work with audio in the background, but I haven't tried it.

Update: Background audio does work in the YouTube web app in safari using the task bar play button. Enjoy!

shantisyndrome

Bronze
Jun 17, 2012
I'm on 5.1.1, so I still have the old YouTube app. I just started a video and pressed the home button and the music stopped.
And thennnn you double press the home button, swipe to your right until you get to the music buttons and press play and it should continue the music from YouTube

shantisyndrome

Bronze
Jun 17, 2012
Interesting. I never knew this was possible. Have you tried the YouTube web app? That may work with audio in the background, but I haven't tried it.
Oh crap it works! Thank youuuu! I missed that feature lolol. Maybe I was using the mobile version all along... Yikes.

ITS ME DAVID

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 8, 2010
L.A C.A
Because you could listen to music or whatever you are watching without looking at the actual app! I thought it was super convenient. Did people do this with the old YouTube app, do you miss it?

Download jasmine it's a free youtube app and let's you play the audio in the background.