I know I can put SIM card in another phone, but

tyoung

Bronze
Nov 1, 2007
So Cal
Will I get free data as well, or does that only work in the iPhone? I was thinking on getting a second AT&T phone, but only if I can use the data plan.

Saverino

Zealot
Gold
Jun 1, 2008
Burbank
It'll get free data as long as you have the iPhone data plan on your account and use that SIM card for the other phone.

tyoung

Bronze
Nov 1, 2007
So Cal
Thanks, I was hoping that was the case.

iChristian

Bronze
May 28, 2008
Hmm. This is interesting. I just might use my other spare phone that's from AT&T and try this myself. Thanks for the post, man!

bmargolis

Bronze
Jun 30, 2007
I'm having problems with this...be careful.

I have an iPhone 3G and I purchased a RAZR 3G as a back-up/beater/weekend phone to do exactly this. The RAZR works fine for calls, voice mail, and text messaging, but I can't get ANY data through it. I called AT&T and they tell me that the iPhone date plan is an exclusive plan to iPhones and in fact the data will not work with a RAZR.

Others have written that their SIM works with Treo's and a few other phones. I'm still trying to get to the bottom of this but right now it's NOT working on a RAZR.

iChristian

Bronze
May 28, 2008
I'm having problems with this...be careful.

I have an iPhone 3G and I purchased a RAZR 3G as a back-up/beater/weekend phone to do exactly this. The RAZR works fine for calls, voice mail, and text messaging, but I can't get ANY data through it. I called AT&T and they tell me that the iPhone date plan is an exclusive plan to iPhones and in fact the data will not work with a RAZR.

Others have written that their SIM works with Treo's and a few other phones. I'm still trying to get to the bottom of this but right now it's NOT working on a RAZR.
Interesting...

tyoung

Bronze
Nov 1, 2007
So Cal
Hmm, that is what I originally was afraid of. ANyone able to get data on another phone with an iPhone SIM?

Saverino

Zealot
Gold
Jun 1, 2008
Burbank
Hmm, that is what I originally was afraid of. ANyone able to get data on another phone with an iPhone SIM?
I have been able to on a Razr (Non-3G), a BlackBerry Curve, but not a Moto Q.

bmargolis

Bronze
Jun 30, 2007
This is now 100% working for me on a 3G RAZR. Read my post about it.

Last edited by a moderator:

bmargolis

Bronze
Jun 30, 2007
One more update...now it's not working again. NOTHING has changed since it worked last week. I was away for a week in another state, came back and data won't work in the RAZR.