I lost all my contacts on iPhone and Mac PLEASE HELP!

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

abohsali

Bronze
Jul 12, 2007
Hello,

I synced my iPhone with my MacBook Pro today and after the sync I lost all my 500 contacts on both the iPhone and the Macbook. I am a fairly new Mac user and need your help please. Is there a way to retrieve my contacts? Is there a way to restore the Mac or the iPhone to a previous timepoint to get the contacts back? I don't care about loosing anything else except my precious contacts. Those are 10 years of contacts and I am in deep trouble. I know I should have backed up on an external drive but the drive I was using failed and did not back up on the new one yet. I appreciate any help you can provide. Thanks.

-Bohs

g-iPhone

Jul 9, 2007
Hello,

I synced my iPhone with my MacBook Pro today and after the sync I lost all my 500 contacts on both the iPhone and the Macbook. I am a fairly new Mac user and need your help please. Is there a way to retrieve my contacts? Is there a way to restore the Mac or the iPhone to a previous timepoint to get the contacts back? I don't care about loosing anything else except my precious contacts. Those are 10 years of contacts and I am in deep trouble. I know I should have backed up on an external drive but the drive I was using failed and did not back up on the new one yet. I appreciate any help you can provide. Thanks.

-Bohs
You used iTunes to sync or iSync? I think iSync can be undo it or sync back to previous.

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
Hello,

-Bohs
Go to Preferences and then to iPhone and there you will find a list of your previous backups. Try syncing in an earlier one.

Also, how did you get your contacts onto your iPhone when you bought it? Did you use Outlook or something else? If so, they should all still be in there.

Also, have you hacked your phone? If so, I think there might be a way to find them in the file structure of the phone, such as private/var/root/Library/AddressBook or var/root/Library/AddressBook

abohsali

Bronze
Jul 12, 2007
Thanks for your help guys. Actually I had them in the address book in the first place on my macbook pro and then synced to the iPhone when I got it. The phone is not hacked nor unlocked. I spoke to Apple and they told me if the sync was interrupted abnormally then I can loose some data. As I am a new mac user I did not know that I can backup my address book so I did not and lost everything. They told me I cannot retrieve my contacts. But luckily I found a backed up folder on an old hard drive with with about 75% of my contacts and were able to upload them to Outook on Parallels and synced them to the iPhone successfuly.

One thing though is that I can only see the last backup of the last sync in the iPhone preferences in iTunes. How can you see the rest of the old back up? any ideas?

Thank you - Bohs

rishio

Feb 27, 2007
The same thing happened to me. I lost 15 years of contacts. I did think I backed up but my backup was really 0kb so I did something wrong in the backup!

I no longer trust syncing with the iPhone.. It really sucked to lose all my contacts like that...

Thanks for your help guys. Actually I had them in the address book in the first place on my macbook pro and then synced to the iPhone when I got it. The phone is not hacked nor unlocked. I spoke to Apple and they told me if the sync was interrupted abnormally then I can loose some data. As I am a new mac user I did not know that I can backup my address book so I did not and lost everything. They told me I cannot retrieve my contacts. But luckily I found a backed up folder on an old hard drive with with about 75% of my contacts and were able to upload them to Outook on Parallels and synced them to the iPhone successfuly.

One thing though is that I can only see the last backup of the last sync in the iPhone preferences in iTunes. How can you see the rest of the old back up? any ideas?

Thank you - Bohs

entong

Bronze
Sep 21, 2007
/private/var/root/Library/SMS/sms.db and
/private/var/root/Library/Notes/notes.db

/var/root/Library/AddressBook/AddressBook.sqlitedb and
/var/root/Library/AddressBook/AddressBookImages.sqlitedb

if you can ssh into your iPhone just run

find / -name "*db"

and you'll get all the system databases

that's what i use for back up my sms,notes and addressbook

entong

Bronze
Sep 21, 2007
/private/var/root/Library/SMS/sms.db and
/private/var/root/Library/Notes/notes.db

/var/root/Library/AddressBook/AddressBook.sqlitedb and
/var/root/Library/AddressBook/AddressBookImages.sqlitedb

if you can ssh into your iPhone just run

find / -name "*db"

and you'll get all the system databases

that's what i use for back up my sms,notes and addressbook
i just need to copy those database for backup my contact database and just in case something happen i just put it back. using the method above.

termleech

Zealot
Gold
Sep 7, 2007
McPherson, KS
Time machine should work. As long as you knew what the file(s) were that address book stored it's contacts in, you'd be able to restore that(those) file(s) and everything should be happy. I haven't tested this theory, but I imagine it's possible.

I'm just thankful I sync with Outlook at work and I keep it backed up. If I lose my contacts I'd be screwed.

LEVID

Jul 20, 2007
So I am having the same problem... My phone got pissy today and decided to become un responsive... I ended up having to do a restore on my laptop.. well normally I do everything on my desktop but I am outta town so that wasn't possible...

Anyways when I restored it on my laptop I lost all my contacts because it never asked to to restore from backup... Well I found a back up file from 4 days ago in iTunes so I decided to restore my phone again.. This time it asked me to restore from backup and I did.. well I still have no contacts...

I am guessing it just made a new backup from before the second restore and used it... BUT when I look back in the preferences there is still only the one backup... What gives?

Any ideas?

And what about if I try and restore it again when I get home.. think that will get my contacts back?

Also when I got the phone I had to enter each and every contact into the phone manually.. so there are no backups of my contacts anywhere... maybe if I can find my old sim card but that would be it...

and with that said how can I back up my contacts for future problems.. I am using a pc with XP and a laptop with vista

Snapper57

Dec 18, 2007
Odd stuff happens when syncing - I got a message warning me that more than 5% of my contacts will change if I continue - actually the message indicated that it wanted to delete ALL 310 contacts, luckily i cancelled it before any damage was done - or so I thought! I re-synced and it seemed to work without any repeat of the message however, all new contacts since the last sync disappeared into thin air - Im soooo pissed off, they were important . I now have little confidence in this process - Ive had the same correct settings throughout - and I have tried creating new contacts on my iPhone since and it now works ok - so the bug is random which makes it very dangerous indeed.

KNK

Jul 22, 2007
Stevenson Ranch
Odd stuff happens when syncing - I got a message warning me that more than 5% of my contacts will change if I continue - actually the message indicated that it wanted to delete ALL 310 contacts, luckily i cancelled it before any damage was done - or so I thought! I re-synced and it seemed to work without any repeat of the message however, all new contacts since the last sync disappeared into thin air - Im soooo pissed off, they were important . I now have little confidence in this process - Ive had the same correct settings throughout - and I have tried creating new contacts on my iPhone since and it now works ok - so the bug is random which makes it very dangerous indeed.

This is why I sometime sync to 2 machines, always with a backup.

Actually I think if you go into iTunes you could retrieve a backup file.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
This is one major thing I miss about Windows Mobile smartphones. With Exchange server support, I was able to sync all my contacts to a free remote server (it also provided my push email service). One time it saved my butt when the phone flipped and erased all my contacts on both the phone and Outlook.

I really really really really really hope that my iPhone never does that sort of thing or I'ma be pi**ed!

Snapper57

Dec 18, 2007
The only sure fire way is to only add new contacts via address book on your desktop, back it up (via the File menu) and then sync - not very convenient but more secure. Note: if you do loose all your contacts it may be possible to retrieve them even if you have no backup - try this:
1. Close Address Book if open
2. On the desktop navigate to Macintosh HD/{Username}/LIBRARY/Application Support/AddressBook
3. Rename AddressBook.data to AddressBook.datax
4. Rename AddressBook.data.previous to AddressBook.data
5. Launch Address Book and check to see if it is populated with your addresses (any new addresses since your last sync will however be lost

andare

May 28, 2008
Thank You Thank You

This suggestion about recovering a lost address book from an iPhone sync gone awry just saved me!

(FYI - if you use a USB hub, be very careful about using it to sync the iPhone. Plug directly into the computer or risk near disaster... :/ At least that was my experience with the dLink hub I just bought...)

NewYorker

Aug 18, 2010
I, like so many others, had to deal with this "change 5% of your contacts" message while syncing my iPhone recently. I also lost all of my contacts. I now understand to choose "end sync" to avoid losing stuff ("end sync" does not for some reason end sync at all). But my good friends, the real question is simply - Why in God's name is this illogical, counter-intuitive message doing there in the first place? An an explanation is nowhere to be found. I like Apple and my iPhone but this kinda stuff shows a serious level of incompetency at times. Apple is a very strange company.

Eleonora

Sep 6, 2011
I bought new iPhone 4, took some pictures on the new phone and then transfered the data from the old phone, but the picture taken on the new phone got erased....is there any way to restore the pictures or redo the transfer/sync from the old phone? Thank you!