I love my MacBook Air

geordisjd

Zealot
Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
For those of you scared to death by Chris' statement that MBA was inadequate, I can attest that it's great laptop, unless you expect it to process 2 hour-long movies at high speed. I have the smaller, faster SSD drive. Everything is snappier. Just starting the MBA (21s), accessing the net or processing pictures through iPhoto ... is a lot snappier than on my MBP. I have movies on thumb drives, iTunes' library on thumb drives and a lot of other things on my USB hub. It's small, it's fast, it's portable, it's beautiful.

I just love it, and I chose it every time I have to go out with a computer. The MBP stays home with the kids playing WOW, which may be what's holding up Chris.

Meanwhile, I don't recommend it if it's going to be your ONLY computer. But as your "traveling" computer, nothing can beat it.

And the keyboard is the best of any laptop I've ever had.

Long Live the MBA.

Just don't expect it to be an improved Cray computer. It's only the best personal Mac computer you transport from office to office and take on trips.

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
Although I don't own one, I totally agree with you. It should not be intended to be your only laptop. If you travel a lot or need a laptop outside the home on numerous occasions than this should fit the bill quite nicely. I don't think it was ever intended to be a sole laptop.

geordisjd

Zealot
Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
my desire to have this as a secondary laptop is only bested by my desire to keep something of far less value:

money
It is now my primary laptop, as my MBP was stolen in my own house.
I still love it, now that I have no choice, and quite happy with its performance.

I'm not buying another MBP, unless some kind of supermachine comes out.

coasts

Zealot
Gold
Jul 15, 2007
New York, NY
www.lomohomes.com
It is now my primary laptop, as my MBP was stolen in my own house.
I still love it, now that I have no choice, and quite happy with its performance.
ive been following the saga on iRovr and feel terrible for you. my apartment has had a series of break-in attempts in the past weeks, so im now HIDING my macbook whenever i leave the house.

(it's NOT under the pillow)

geordisjd

Zealot
Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
(it's NOT under the pillow)
Darn, I was going to look there first!

My advice:

1) Get Undercover/Orbicule which will make your would-be stolen Mac call to you (sort of) every time it goes online.

2) install a firmware password (on the Leopard install disk), which will make it impossible for your mac to get erased or started from an external disk.

I should have done that a long time ago.

tgwinn

Bronze
Jul 11, 2008
The whole idea of a "Second" or "backup" laptop is an oxymoron to most of us who have a budget to live by. Thus the need for the one laptop we can afford to be everything it can be or as close as possible. So, in this case, it makes the MBA a luxery item that is of no real need.

Luckykelleyk

Gold
Jan 12, 2008
Denver, CO

My advice:

1) Get Undercover/Orbicule which will make your would-be stolen Mac call to you (sort of) every time it goes online.

2) install a firmware password (on the Leopard install disk), which will make it impossible for your mac to get erased or started from an external disk.

Was this burglary covered by your homeowners insurance?

geordisjd

Zealot
Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
The whole idea of a "Second" or "backup" laptop is an oxymoron to most of us who have a budget to live by. Thus the need for the one laptop we can afford to be everything it can be or as close as possible. So, in this case, it makes the MBA a luxery item that is of no real need.
Young man or woman, some of us have lived long enough and worked hard enough to deserve a second laptop. There was a time when I took the bus and
had onions and dry bread for dinner. I fully deserve my computers:).

Luckykelleyk

Gold
Jan 12, 2008
Denver, CO
Back to the MBA, Vaja has some VERY nice cases for the Macbook air. When I finally do get a new computer in a year or so, it will probably be a mba.

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
I LOVE my MBA. I was extremely skeptical of it at first but upon reading about it further I fell in love. I used my Super Drive for the first time yesterday installing my AirPort Extreme disk (which was extremely easy by the way). The portability of the MBA is unlike any other laptop I've used or seen. I've been able to take it on a few flights already and the thing is just ridiculously easy to get around with and to use.

Is anyone else as excited about this http://www.colorwarepc.com/p-126-macbook-air.aspx as I am?!

Luckykelleyk

Gold
Jan 12, 2008
Denver, CO
I LOVE my MBA. I was extremely skeptical of it at first but upon reading about it further I fell in love. I used my Super Drive for the first time yesterday installing my AirPort Extreme disk (which was extremely easy by the way). The portability of the MBA is unlike any other laptop I've used or seen. I've been able to take it on a few flights already and the thing is just ridiculously easy to get around with and to use.

Is anyone else as excited about this http://www.colorwarepc.com/p-126-macbook-air.aspx as I am?!
well, you know I love colorware. However, I don't think I could swallow the price tag of the MBA PLUS an extra $500+ . Especially if you send it in, and it voids your warranty. I would only do it if I came into a bunch of money all of a sudden, and I bought it from them. (because then at least It would be under warranty through them)

coasts

Zealot
Gold
Jul 15, 2007
New York, NY
www.lomohomes.com

My advice:

i intend to do both these things based on your recommendation alone.

coasts

Zealot
Gold
Jul 15, 2007
New York, NY
www.lomohomes.com
wow!

in your case, the MBA is a LUXURY item. In Jacqueline's case, maybe it's of real need. That's not for you to decide. Your comment came from a negative place and served little purpose. Consider also that some might argue that an iPhone is just as much a luxury.

Luckykelleyk

Gold
Jan 12, 2008
Denver, CO
Also, just because jacqueline has a mba, it doesn't mean that she doesn't have a budget. Thats just silly. She definitely had to work hard, sacrifice (and probably pay out the ass) to get to where she is now.

Luckykelleyk

Gold
Jan 12, 2008
Denver, CO
when I get a mba, im DEFINITELY getting this case. If they still make it of course. Color combo undecided

Last edited by a moderator:

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
Kelley where is that case from? Site?

The $500 is a bit steep and I'll definitely be waiting to get it done until the warranty expires. Of course, by then Colorware will likely stop doing this version of the MBA just as they did with the v1 iPhone (temporarily).

I've actually made the transition now to having the MBA as my only computer. I just got an AirPort Extreme and I have my 500 GB external hard drive plugged into it so now I can access 500 extra GBs of space from anywhere with an internet connection. Score.

Luckykelleyk

Gold
Jan 12, 2008
Denver, CO
Kelley where is that case from? Site?

The $500 is a bit steep and I'll definitely be waiting to get it done until the warranty expires. Of course, by then Colorware will likely stop doing this version of the MBA just as they did with the v1 iPhone (temporarily).

I've actually made the transition now to having the MBA as my only computer. I just got an AirPort Extreme and I have my 500 GB external hard drive plugged into it so now I can access 500 extra GBs of space from anywhere with an internet connection. Score.
That case is vaja. The price is a little high, but their cases are high quality, classy, and worth it for such an expensive computer. I don't think I would have a problem using it as my only computer. Im hoping to get some money for college graduation, plus I know macbooks have pretty good resale value so I hope to get a mba next year, and sell my current one.

I think that colorware will still color the mba. Computers stick around a lot longer than cellphones. How long has the current version of the macbook been around, at least 2 years? I guess it also depends if you have Applecare.