I Love the iPad mini

1. Europa

Europa Genius Senior Moderator

UPS just delivered my iPad mini. This is the iPad I've wanted since 2010. I absolutely love it! It's so lightweight and easy to use and type with both thumbs while sitting on the couch. I just tested reading a book in bed and it's not at all awkward like it is with the full-size iPad. The screen isn't as big of a deal as a lot of people make it out to be. I do notice a difference in resolution, but it still looks good and the weight and size make up for that. I can wait a year for retina. I'm glad I made the decision to I sell my iPad 3 to buy this.

• Like Like x 8
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. mrbunglez

mrbunglez Contributor Bronze

I love it also can't wait to get mine! My wife is hoarding hers ATM and I can't seem to pry it even from her cold dead hands.

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. Avatar

Sponsored Advertisement

4. imutter

imutter Genius Gold

Sniff I got to play at the store today elbowing the crowd
    I know I would like it too

Sent from my iPhone 5 using iCafe app

Attached Files:

5. billnye97

billnye97 Contributor Silver

Same thing for me. I've been relaxing on the couch reading a book on it and it's pretty awesome. The resolution is noticeable but not that bad. The processor does struggle a little bit at times but I love the size and weight.

Sent from my iPad mini using iCafe app

6. mrbunglez

mrbunglez Contributor Bronze

Siri is a bonus as well.

7. ClarkKent724

ClarkKent724 Member Bronze

I agree with this thread. This thing is so cool! It's going to take some getting used to to hold it though! I need to get a case or some sort of protection on it this weekend. It's my first iPad and I'm glad I finally made the decision to buy!

Ps. Reader is so awesome on this thing while surfing the web.

8. Napoleon PhoneApart

Napoleon PhoneApart Moderator Senior Moderator

I was talking to Mindi (Europa) tonight on the phone when she suddenly said, "Hold on - it's the UPS guy!" Man, she dropped me like a hot potato...

Then...

UPS.jpg

• Like Like x 4
    • Funny Funny x 2
  9. Napoleon PhoneApart

Napoleon PhoneApart Moderator Senior Moderator

Soooooo, I guess we'll be reading about you in tomorrow's newspaper, eh?

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. up10ad

up10ad Genius Gold

I agree completely. The size and weight makes it a near perfect device for me. I do find that after a reading web pages or text for a while I find myself longing for smoother font display, but I can wait for the retina next year. I will be upgrading just for that, and I'm hoping for some other as yet unknown improvements as well. I have a smart cover but need a skin to protect the back.

11. imutter

imutter Genius Gold

I guess I gotta run to the store later and get my mini fix
    I am right with you guys I knew from day of announcement that this will be a hold over until the update is here
    I do not think it can replace my iPad.. I know many here do not believe there will be an update by spring but I think it is possible. In any case I can't for Apple to apply the new slick features to the next iPad and update the mini with retina and fast processor. Next mini will be LTE for me. Can't wait.
    Now if just UPS would pull out that head from you all know where and get my mini to me.

• Informative Informative x 1
  12. Hondamaker

Hondamaker Genius Gold

So, should I sell my iPad 3 to get this? What are your thoughts? I can't justify having both.

13. Europa

Europa Genius Senior Moderator

Only if lighter weight/smaller size is your priority. Otherwise, you'll probably want to stick with the 3 since it's faster and has retina.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Hondamaker

Hondamaker Genius Gold

I guess I'll have to play with a demo model, see if I really like it.

• Like Like x 1
  15. billnye97

The processor struggles a little bit but the form factor is too awesome to pass up.

16. raqball

raqball Zealot Silver

This and the lack of retina are the reasons I did not buy one..

I might go to an Apple store next week and play with a display model just to get a feel for it.. The size is perfect for my needs but I can't get past the slower processor and the lack of retina..

Next year, I am sure both these will be solved..

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. billnye97

For me I can live without the retina. The display isn't as bad as you think. Loading up some websites is killing me though. I do love reading on this thing though.

18. nealh

nealh Member Silver

Personally, this is an issue I have with Apple, always going a step back on the new product to make the 2nd generation where it should have started IMHO. This was very true on the original iPad-there is not enough ram or processing power.

I understand planned obsolesce but I fear this will lead to Apple's down fall. Consumers are not always gong to accept the first generation being behind the competition. I would have bought a iPad Mini if it had the A6 processor and retina display. There is no reason for this not to be a part of the product. It has a 50% higher price point vs the competition.

Unless, the product is a new category or idea, this will hurt Apple in long run. I am concerned as a stockholder and owner of their products.

I realize many are saying the display is not bad, but that's not the point. It should be better to put the competition behind in the rearview mirror. You can take a lower margin to keep ahead. The company is healthy, I am dismayed at this decision.

Supply chain issues maybe a concern but that does not justify, older tech parts. The competitiors can meet demand for their display, Apple could find a way.

It's a shame.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  19. nikkisixx102

nikkisixx102 Android Killer Bronze

My crappy AT&T dsl gets all my hatred. Lol online is always slow at home when it's 2 or 3 Mbps and when I leave, my iPhone is 35-40 Mbps. Dumb. But I think the mini is awesome.

It's kinda funny though. I get all excited about iDays, and when I get it, new exterior design is the only thing that aww's. We're all so used to this iOS... I think it is time for something new. Ive might create a completely new line of products(iPhone, iPad, mini, touch) with something we haven't imagined. It could be like that first time we held iPhone one, but I doubt it, ha. We will see. iOS (creative name)?

20. nikkisixx102

nikkisixx102 Android Killer Bronze

Then sell? Why did you buy stock if you have an "issue" with them?

Your first paragraphs are so contradicting, it's exhausting! You say "always going a step back on the new product to make the 2nd generation", then you say, "Unless, the product is a new category or idea, this will hurt Apple in long run." You even bring up the first iPad and I damn well know that was around before these other lookalikes. Don't buy if you don't want to! You can get an iPad 4, which sounds perfect for you(unless you're going to cry because its too heavy now that we have minis and crappy kindle fires) or wait until there's something that lights a fire in your britches. Apple isn't telling you to buy now, nor are they telling you they won't make something new in 6 months. We don't have to buy EVERY new Apple product. I do, because I have enough money to afford it. I'll buy the next one, then the next one, then the next one.

If Apple made a new iPad every 2 years, would you be bored with it by the second year? I would be. If they want to show me something cool and new every 2 months, I would be waiting for that announcement every time! I like new things. It makes me happy to see and hold them, but for some they can't look past the $$$$$$$$$$$$$! Must suck.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  21. patrickj

patrickj Genius Gold

I'm another big fan of the mini. I don't think it's fair to say this is a step back overall. It's not the latest retina display, true - but it is every bit as good, perhaps a bit better according to some tests, as the iPad 2's display - which we were all raving about just a year ago. It is more than 50% lighter than the standard iPad but still manages to have a display that's 35% bigger overall then the Nexus and Kindle 7 inch tablets. The lightness of it on its own is wonderful and a huge selling point. Not a step backwards at all I'd say.

Also, the bit about price point vs 'the competition' is a bit out there as well. I've used a Kindle Fire and a Kindle Fire HD - bought both and spent weeks with them and they do not even remotely compare to an iPad. They are better at buying Amazon products and that's it - there is no other area where they beat or even match an iPad. For people who just want the cheapest tablet or just hate Apple, they're going to have appeal. For just about anyone else I don't see any reason to consider them other than the 'easy to buy Amazon stuff' feature.

The two new Nexus tablets (the 7 and 10 inchers) look very promising. I'm definitely going to buy one or other or maybe both of those - but even they are not real competition yet until they prove something in the marketplace - up to now no Android or Blackberry or any other tablets have done that.

• Agree Agree x 2