I missed iOS in the Car

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by chris, Jun 10, 2013.

1. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

I saw the beginning part of iOS in the Car, which I thought was great. I missed the part about how this actually works and what cars will support this feature. I'm guessing newer cars only? Seems like we heard something similar last year related to Siri. Were any manufacturers announced?

ios-in-car.png

2. acosmichippo

acosmichippo Genius
    Platinum

It was select carmakes only. All I remember was Ferrari, but no Subaru.

3. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

Awesome. I'm covered.*

*not really

4. fury

fury Evangelist
    Gold

I saw this screengrab accidentally (my stream was a little delayed) and thought "oh, crap, it's the iWatch" and closed the window.

It's pretty much the modern day equivalent of the old iPod Out feature. Use Siri to control everything, and there's a special interface built for the car's head unit screen.

Not sure if they're integrating with car touchscreens, or if they're using steering wheel/voice controls entirely.

5. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

It will be available in 2014.
    image.jpg

6. acosmichippo

acosmichippo Genius
    Platinum

I wonder if that means 2014 car model year, or actually 2014, which means more likely 2015 model year.

7. Deke736

Deke736 Member
    Bronze

Since a lot of car manufacturers already have 2014's rolling out, I would imagine it's the 2015 model year cars that will be released in 2014.

8. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I'd have to go back and listen to it again, but I'm pretty sure they said 2014 models.

9. fury

fury Evangelist
    Gold

Man, I wish I could get early access to that kinda thing like they did. Releasing this for model year 2014 means they would've had to have been pretty far along in development for a few months now.

10. jmp316

jmp316 Evangelist
    Gold

This looks really cool and my car's manufacturer was listed, but I don't wanna have to but a new car to get it. Wonder if can just buy a new head unit when they arrive?

11. acosmichippo

acosmichippo Genius
    Platinum

^^^yeah, that's what everyone really wants to know. How can we get this in our *current* cars. No one is going to go buy a new car for Siri integration.

12. jmp316

jmp316 Evangelist
    Gold

I primarily only use waze in my car and Siri for everything else (music, texts). I have a nice device mount (Tetrax) but would love to have it integrated into car's screen.

13. fury

fury Evangelist
    Gold

Chevy thinks you will. Have you seen the Chevy Siri Eyes Free commercial?

They are totally going to disappoint anyone who does buy a car for that feature alone.

I've played around with Siri Eyes Free and it doesn't work half as well as it looks like it does in those commercials.

And if I were to hazard a guess, the cars most likely to get iOS in the Car integration are the ones with video screens and dummy voice recognition systems that just pass your voice through to the phone. Things like Sync will probably not get it, or will have a wonky implementation of it, due to the integrated voice control system.

14. psylichon

psylichon Genius

I recently upgraded to a 2013 Pioneer DVD head unit with "AppRadio" support. Of course, full support with the "new" iPhone 5's lightning cable requires about $200 in accessory purchases to make it work. Ridiculous. I see this new in-car "standard" going a similar way eventually.

If you have a proper phone mount, displaying smartphone content on a screen that is further out of reach is superfluous, IMO.

15. acosmichippo

acosmichippo Genius
    Platinum

True, but I really just want to leave my phone in my pocket and have my car be an extension through bluetooth. That would be the ideal situation for me.

16. psylichon

psylichon Genius

Meh, I always appreciate the opportunity to charge, personally. And a USB connection will always sound superior to BT.

17. fury

fury Evangelist
    Gold

Bad timing with the AppRadio stuff. If they had designed it from the ground up for Lightning it would have been a cinch. Things like this are in development for months, even years beforehand, and they were completely wired for the old 30 pin system. There is no analog audio or video on Lightning, so they had to make a digital converter box, that's probably where most of the cost is.

I could see the special display mode being more handy than the smartphone display if it's done right (and if there's one thing Apple likes to do, it's to do it right). But if they try to integrate with vehicle built-in touchscreens, they'd better have proper capacitive displays.

I have "My Ford Touch" in my 2013 Fusion, and it's more like "My Ford Peck and Stab at the Screen with Long Fingernails or a Stylus until you Hear the Beep Indicating it Registered the Touch"

18. psylichon

psylichon Genius

Yeah, auto touchscreens have a LONG way to go before I prefer using them over my iPhone. Mine is terrible.

19. coop1701

coop1701 Zealot
    Silver

I love my JVC touchscreen I have in my car. However it worked much better before the whole lightning cable thing. Not most Apps no longer work on it. I do wish the 3rd party car manufacturers could offer this too.

20. snowtrooper1966

Gold

I suspect many head unit manufacturers will offer integration on new units soon, making old vehicles compatible...