I Must Be Dense...Renting iTunes Movies?

Diablo25

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007
PA
Sorry for the simple question but how do you rent iTunes movies? I don't see any options for it in iTunes.

Eragon

Zealot
Gold
Jan 8, 2008
Frederick, MD
Does anyone know if it is possible to watch a rented movie via streaming (iPhone Remote)? For example, you download a rented movie to the iTunes library before heading out of town. While away, you connect back to your desktop via iPhone Remote to stream the video.

Not sure how iTunes would know how to set the timer.

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
Hmm, it seems like an interesting idea but I don't know if it's available as of yet. As an aside, I really hope iTunes sets up a sort of Netflix type deal where you get so many rentals a month so that you can save if you're renting more frequently. Otherwise, I have a Blockbuster membership that I use regularly that's $25ish a month and I get unlimited rentals and no late fees, so that would be great if iTunes did similarly.

Soulquarian

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007
Is there a link to have a view of ALL the rentals available? I think it's dumb that you have to search through each video individually to see if it's a rental.

Hopefully I'm just missing something.

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
So far I haven't found the option to just view rentals that are available unless you click on the "Top Rentals" tab. I'll keep looking around and keep you updated.

Eragon

Zealot
Gold
Jan 8, 2008
Frederick, MD
Does anyone know if it is possible to watch a rented movie via streaming (iPhone Remote)? For example, you download a rented movie to the iTunes library before heading out of town. While away, you connect back to your desktop via iPhone Remote to stream the video.

Not sure how iTunes would know how to set the timer.
Well, had an interesting evening of discovery. I rented The Usual Suspects. The download went well. After the download was completed, I copied the file to my Mac desktop and navigated to it via my iPhone. The movie showed up as it should via iPhone Remote, but the iPhone gave me an error saying it could not play the video. This is strange because my iTunes downloaded movies (e.g., National Treasure) can play.

Just for the hell of it, I tried running the file through Tunebite on my Windows machine. That process failed, and the rental evaporated. No biggy. Best $2.99 I spent all day.

Just like that. Lesson learned: if you want to stream videos to your device using your personal collection of movies, don't rent. I like the idea of renting titles I only want to watch once, such as on a trip. At the same time, I don't want to have to sync specific titles to my iPhone. Unless such a title is one I don't want anyone else to know I have. :laugh2:

kokogirl

Gold
Sep 8, 2007
Sunny Florida
I wouldn't mind renting, but didn't it say that you only have 24 hours to finish the movie once you start it? That kind of sucks. Last trip I bought a movie on iTunes and watched half on the way there and half on the way back (with kids on a plane it is hard to get uninterrupted time to my self).

KNK

Jul 22, 2007
Stevenson Ranch
I wouldn't mind renting, but didn't it say that you only have 24 hours to finish the movie once you start it? That kind of sucks. Last trip I bought a movie on iTunes and watched half on the way there and half on the way back (with kids on a plane it is hard to get uninterrupted time to my self).

Yeah, most places have 5 days to view. And the price is hight still, they need to cut both prices by a dollar.

I bet net Flix cuts their price below Apple.

And you can get the movies from your sat or cable for the same price, probably better quality.:mad:

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
Yeah I have a feeling Apple is going to have to change their pricing/rental policy in order to break into the rental market. As of right now I don't see it being too successful, then again, it IS Apple.

guest 5

Bronze
Jul 5, 2007
Hey, for the price of a rental on iTunes, I would rather buy the movie for $9.99 and get to view it whenever I want to. I think the better way to have implemented the system was to give 30 days to start it and once you've started it, you have one week to complete it and then it'll erase off your phone or computer the next time you log onto iTunes.