I need help guys and gals, SIM card from first gen to 3G help

D-Shot

Jun 29, 2007
Ill try to make this short and sweet. I got a 3g phone yesterday to replace my first generation one. Was told by the At&t rep that I could simply take my sim out of the old one, put it in the 3g and all my info would be there and ready to go.

Upon trying to do so, nothing shows up in my new phone yet everything stays in my old phone. I really need old phone numbers and what not and Id like to sell the old phone but not with all of my personal info there for someone to see. What am I missing here? I knew it sounded to simple to actually work.

danipoak

Silver
Dec 13, 2007
Not Alaska
Are your contacts saved on your computer or something like the address book on OSX or Outlook on windows? You need to sync your phone with your computer. Contacts are not saved on the SIM card.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Threads merged... please post only once. Thanks!

D-Shot

Jun 29, 2007
I actually synced it yesterday before buying the new one. Still doesn't explain why all my old info stays in the old one even after taking out the sim. Thank you for your help by the way.

danipoak

Silver
Dec 13, 2007
Not Alaska
I actually synced it yesterday before buying the new one. Still doesn't explain why all my old info stays in the old one even after taking out the sim. Thank you for your help by the way.
Exactly. You synced your OLD phone. Syncing that has nothing to do with your new phone. Like I said, none of that info is stored on the SIM card. That explains why taking it out doesn't change anything. You need to sync your new phone with iTunes. Should be able to sync it from a backup file. There are all kinds of options as to what you want synced as well when you plug your phone in. Music, apps, pictures, contacts, etc.

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
Danipoak is correct, your contacts will be on your computer, thats if you sync regulary enough to keep them up to date.

If there contacts on your original sim card:

Do this-

Settings/Mail,Contacts,Calenders/Scroll Down 'Import SIM Contacts'

Hope this helps

D-Shot

Jun 29, 2007
Ill give that a try, any idea though as to why all my info remains on my old phone?

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
Ill give that a try, any idea though as to why all my info remains on my old phone?

You'll need to reset it, it erases all the data within the phone :sick:

D-Shot

Jun 29, 2007
Danipoak is correct, your contacts will be on your computer, thats if you sync regulary enough to keep them up to date.

If there contacts on your original sim card:

Do this-

Settings/Mail,Contacts,Calenders/Scroll Down 'Import SIM Contacts'

Hope this helps
Thanks for that bit of info, Ill give that a try as well. Again, I appreciate the help from you guys.

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
no worries. Just thinking up possibilites.

If your wondering how to ditch all the stuff off your old iPhone it's simple;

Settings/General/Scroll Down and hit the 'reset' button

D-Shot

Jun 29, 2007
Just out of curiosity will old texts and stuff show back up. It did it before when I replaced a broken first gen for a new first gen.