I need help to bring YouTube.app back on my iPhone 4

Discussion in 'iPhone 4' started by Segnale007, Sep 13, 2010.

1. Segnale007

Segnale007 New Member

Hello folks,

yesterday while trying to fix the shames that YourTube 2 has done, I accidentally removed the Youtube.app from /private/var/stash/Applications/ . So I asked my friend who has an iPhone 3gs running on 4.0.1 to give me his /private/var/stash/Applications/Youtube.app in order to put the app back. The Youtube icon is now back on the menu but I can't get it to work, it crash as soon as I press it.
    According to someone I talked to the problem is that the YouTube.app must be from the same idevice with the same firmware as mine .

So I would much appreciate if someone who has an iPhone 4 with 4.0.1 could upload his YouTube.app, otherwise the only way to bring YouTube back will be to restore it :( .

Thanks

2. ReeseyCup79

ReeseyCup79 Member
    Bronze

U could go to the YouTube web site on your phone and add it to your home screen. I think it runs faster then the app itself.

Sent from my iPhone using iCafe app

3. Watcher

Watcher Zealot
    Gold

It does work better, actually. Videos over 3G look much better than the native app. However, I think it's just a matter of peace of mind knowing that everything is up to par on his phone. It should really be fixed which, unfortunately, may take a restore to do it.

4. Segnale007

Segnale007 New Member

it might be fixed without restoring if only someone who has an iPhone 4 running on 4.0.1 would upload his YouTube.app in order to try. Otherwise I'll wait till the jailbreak on 4.1 will be possible. I have too much stuff on it and I am kinda busy lately, so I don't have time to restore it and put everything back, reconfiguring everything and so forth .

5. Watcher

Watcher Zealot
    Gold

Mine is on 4.0.1. I'll try to upload it when I get home if no one else has by then.

6. Segnale007

Segnale007 New Member

much appreciate :) Thanks..

7. Watcher

Watcher Zealot
    Gold

8. Segnale007

Segnale007 New Member

Well, it didn't work :( ... I also tried setting the owner permission to 755 and 777 , but nothing to do..
    At this point I think I am really ****ed, means I'll have to wait till the 4.1 jailbreak will come out to get youtube back.
    Thanks for you effort btw.. I appreciated

9. fearofnormalcy

fearofnormalcy Evangelist
    Gold

Well, until then do what the other guys suggested and add m.YouTube.com to your homescreen via Safari. It loads faster than the native app, and the bookmark icon looks SO much better than that antiquated 1950's TV theme. In fact, I've made my native app go "poof" through my JB!

10. Segnale007

Segnale007 New Member

yes, I already did that .. I'll definitely survive without the native youtube app .

Thanks everyone for the effort.

Pietro

11. Lon

Lon Evangelist
    Gold

I disabled my native App in "Restrictions" and discovered that I couldn't view some website videos. I took the App off Restriction and I could view those same videos. Have you experienced this without having the native App?

12. Segnale007

Segnale007 New Member

Haven't tried yet .. Could u post the link of the video page your unable to open?

13. Lon

Lon Evangelist
    Gold

14. Segnale007

Segnale007 New Member

ouch .. I can't see it either... That's frustrating me now :(

15. fearofnormalcy

Gold

What's odd, is I searched for the same video on m.YouTube.com and found it, but when I clicked on play, it said "This movie format is unsupported". I think this applies to YouTube vids that haven't been encoded using HTML5 yet. Video plays just fine through the native player, however. Weird.

Try it yourself: http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?xl=xl_blazer&v=C605toxPWXA

16. Segnale007

Segnale007 New Member

Well, I can see it ..

17. Lon

Lon Evangelist
    Gold

Fear, you tracked down the actual YouTube URL and opened the video. But if the video is embedded (if I have the right term) then I could not link to it from Gizmodo without the native App. Not sure what the technicalities are, but odd. Like without Safari enabled you can't link to a website no matter how many other browsers are installed. Internal iPhone linking code?

18. Watcher

Watcher Zealot
    Gold

I was afraid that would happen.

19. fearofnormalcy

Gold

What's even weirder, is I clicked the link I posted to the videos YouTube URL from within EIC, and it worked.

Just to see if there was a difference, I then opened Safari back up, pasted the URL there, and this time it worked.

Now I'm totally lost...

20. Kyle Harden

Kyle Harden New Member

THANK YOU ! I messed around with gold dust and after I fixed my gold dust problem, my youtube app disappeared, I was freaking out but I dragged your youtube folder from the link into my ifunbox in the right folder and it re-appeared ! I'm so happy right now I made an account on this website just to tell you thank you [: