I need privacy for my SMS/Text Messages

Discussion in 'iOS Software' started by Mortgage Guy, Jul 27, 2007.

1. Mortgage Guy

Mortgage Guy New Member

Ok I need HELP ! I know this cant be done but does anyone know if Apple plans to put this in an update:

Problem: Showing off my iPhone and a text message pops up.
    Over Happy Girl Friend with "plans" for the night. I don't need my BOSS to know what she has in store for me.

I love the SMS function but do I have to get a pop up in the middle of an application?

This can cause so many problems.

Does anyone else have this issue?

2. Ramesh

Ramesh Zealot
    Gold

go to settings and enter in a pass code or key... then when you go back into the settings of the pass key you'll see an option to disable the messages on the homescreen...

it's called "show sms preview"

3. Mortgage Guy

Mortgage Guy New Member

I actually tried that being the "Geek" that I am. So here is the result of that. It only works if your phone is locked. But while the phone is unlocked
    looking at
    • YouTube
    • Videos
    • iPod
    • Mail
    • Maps
    • Ect.
    It still shows pop ups of your text message. Did the R&D Guys not think of this? If I am letting someone watch a movie or anything on my phone they do not need to know about the BJ Special I might be getting later on that night.

Thank you so much for your help though. I totally thought I had the fix when I saw that myself. But that was not the fix.

4. princess_80854

princess_80854 New Member
    Silver

That bugs me too. There isn't a fix for it yet. It sucks because I'm almost afraid to show anyone my phone with the fear of a personal text popping up on the screen and having them read it. :( It's such a simple function, just to turn off message preview all together. I don't know why it was omitted.:(

5. Marianne

Marianne Zealot

setting "show sms preview" to off doesn't work fully for you? when i'm watching a video or something and a text message comes in, all i see is "text message from john doe: view/ignore" (or something like that) - i don't see the text message content itself with the sms preview option set to off.

or do you not want to see any text message notifications come on at all?

6. Mortgage Guy

Mortgage Guy New Member

I am not sure how you get yours to work Mac Girl but still that only works for me if the phone is locked. If I am using the phone in any function I get the entire message. Or at least the first 2 lines. Which has resulted in a few embarrassing situations. :eek:

7. tharmsen

tharmsen New Member
    Silver

I think the immediate solution to your problem is to tell your lady friend to have a little more cooth, especially during businesss hours. :p

8. Martlet

Martlet New Member
    Bronze

Put it in airplane mode prior to showing it off.

Definitely don't discourage a girl friend with evening plans! :)

9. Mortgage Guy

Mortgage Guy New Member

Yeah I tried that one, and she got all sensitive about it. Apple really blew it on this one.

Yet and still I love my iDay Phone. This is my most pressing problem. I took care of the ringtones and I am so happy with that part of the phone. I watched movies all last night. I just wish I could turn off text.

Airplane mode wont allow for YouTube, Maps, and Safari: Those are the items people love to look at.

10. megapopular

megapopular New Member

Spelling...

The word is "couth"

11. tharmsen

tharmsen New Member
    Silver

A properly structured sentence ends with a period.

12. alicepattinson

Bronze

You can simply set a passcode for it.

13. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

The same answer was provided in 2007 when the question was originally asked.

14. 47seijar

47seijar Zealot
    Bronze

Or you and your girlfriend can use a sms program like Confide for anything "sensitive".