I realized today how cool the iPhone really is...

whale_hunter

Bronze
Sep 11, 2007
After playing with someone's new Verizon touch screen phone. I didn't get the name (you guys probably know) but I played with it for about 5 minutes.

IT SUCKED!

Of course I didn't say that too him, I just said it was cool. Seriously though, the screen size and the way the internet worked was just awful. The music player was so ugly and plain.
The best way to describe the phone would be "clunky".

The iPhone is the first nice phone I've ever owned, so I didn't know how nice it really was.
Now that I'm starting to see some of the "iPhone killers" it's pretty clear why there was so much hype around this phone.

Apple still needs to give us copy+paste and a few other things that we've all discussed, but I have a new appreciation for my phone.

:)

Alexander

Zealot
Gold
Jun 28, 2007
Atlanta
After playing with someone's new Verizon touch screen phone. I didn't get the name (you guys probably know) but I played with it for about 5 minutes.

IT SUCKED!

Of course I didn't say that too him, I just said it was cool. Seriously though, the screen size and the way the internet worked was just awful. The music player was so ugly and plain.
The best way to describe the phone would be "clunky".

The iPhone is the first nice phone I've ever owned, so I didn't know how nice it really was.
Now that I'm starting to see some of the "iPhone killers" it's pretty clear why there was so much hype around this phone.

Apple still needs to give us copy+paste and a few other things that we've all discussed, but I have a new appreciation for my phone.

:)
Word to that man. iPhone = superior.

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
I was standing in line today at Toys R Us and the lady in front of me saw my iPhone and was like, ohh my husband just got that new touchscreen phone (the Voyager) but I haven't seen an iPhone in person. She then played with it for a bit and was like, it's bigger than I expected but it's pretty nice, naturally implying she thought her husband's phone was better. I wanted to laugh at her for thinking the Voyager was superior. She actually called him a few moments later and told him excitedly how she just saw an iPhone.

jjvaldez

Gold
Jul 3, 2007
Salinas, Ca
yes i konw this girl that was so exited for the release of the voyager and was talkin smack that the voyager was going to be better, i was like ok, well let others try our phones when you get it so that we can see which one they like better...

whale_hunter

Bronze
Sep 11, 2007
I feel bad even talking trash about his phone, because he's a really nice guy. It's not some kind of competition, I was just really surprised at how hard it was to navigate. Not to mention how awkward the touch screen was.
Some things were touch, but all of a sudden the screen would lock up, then you had to use the buttons on the bottom?

It just didn't make sense how it was designed.

ChaosAttractor

Bronze
Sep 27, 2007
Personally, I don't stop just at iPhone comparisons. I take the next progression, which is that iPhone users are thereforee better than non-iphone users.

I plan to wear my iPhone as an earring to let the whole world know how awesome I am. I am currently in the process of strengthening my earlobes to handle the weight, but once they're ready: Lookout world.

I'm just kidding. On a serious note, the iPhone kicks @ss. Can I get a whut whut?

OJsakila

Jul 15, 2007
Jupiter's sulphur mines
Personally, I don't stop just at iPhone comparisons. I take the next progression, which is that iPhone users are thereforee better than non-iphone users.

I plan to wear my iPhone as an earring to let the whole world know how awesome I am. I am currently in the process of strengthening my earlobes to handle the weight, but once they're ready: Lookout world.

I'm just kidding. On a serious note, the iPhone kicks @ss. Can I get a whut whut?
whut whut. iPhone is the shiznit!

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
I've come to the same realization several times by using iPhone killers that belong to my friends. They pull me over and thrust it in my hands and say "HA! Now I have a phone that's better than yours!" I too would deem them all "clunky".

But I give him the iPhone, let him use it for a minute, and then tell him his sucks. :p

- John

ipod

Bronze
Sep 14, 2007
I tried the voyager at verizon yesterday. Eeew. It really sucked. The verizon CEO guy or whoever hyped it up. I read that he said that "the voyager will kill the iPhone" pretty strong words for a real yucky phone. Besides the touch feature the voyager is extremely mediocre.

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
Agh, I saw an add for some Helio phone that said "iPhone killer" in huge print. I was just thinking, well that's really nice free advertisement for Apple now isn't it? Just put iPhone on all of YOUR products.

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
Agh, I saw an add for some Helio phone that said "iPhone killer" in huge print. I was just thinking, well that's really nice free advertisement for Apple now isn't it? Just put iPhone on all of YOUR products.
So true. It shows an obvious sign of desperation.

- John

Sleeper

Bronze
Jul 21, 2007
I was standing in line today at Toys R Us and the lady in front of me saw my iPhone and was like, ohh my husband just got that new touchscreen phone (the Voyager) but I haven't seen an iPhone in person. She then played with it for a bit and was like, it's bigger than I expected but it's pretty nice, naturally implying she thought her husband's phone was better. I wanted to laugh at her for thinking the Voyager was superior. She actually called him a few moments later and told him excitedly how she just saw an iPhone.
Or maybe she really does think it's better. People can have different opinions.

No, really. They can.

The iPhone's nice but it's not to everyone's tastes in its current incarnation.

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
Or maybe she really does think it's better. People can have different opinions.

No, really. They can.

The iPhone's nice but it's not to everyone's tastes in its current incarnation.
Keyword think. Not is. ;)

- John

H

Hayesimus

hell, i even had this guy at work talkin about his Motorola Q. And he was like oh it can do this and this and this. and then someone was talking about their Blackberry not having internet like they wanted and the Q guy was like oh well mine goes to most websites. there's a few it doesn't though. and i was just like, hmm mine gets em all. yeah... i mean honestly. if there was a better phone, i'd drop the iPhone in a heartbeat. its just who i am, i want the best. it just so happens that the iPHONE is the best hands down. everything else is significantly inferior on all levels, quality especially, style, user friendly, and while the features are somewhat lacking what i'd hoped, they are all programing issues which will likely be remedied with future firmware updates so its hardly an issue. hearing someone talk like their phone is superior to the iPhone is like being in an argument with some idiot that can only come up with," oh yeah? well... well... whatever..." you just kinda look and tilt your head and feel sorry for them...

OJsakila

Jul 15, 2007
Jupiter's sulphur mines
i agree with everyone of these comments.

Last night i changed my wallpaper and icons, added a couple of ringers, adjusted the system tones and completely switched out the music i had on it with something i haven't heard in a while. Guess what? I woke up to a BRAND NEW iPhone this morning.... I can hardly wait to hit the streets today with my NEW phone!

Another reason that why its hard to tire of the iPhone...

astrolux

Bronze
Sep 11, 2007
I really do feel kinda bad for folks that buy that phone and "try" to compare it to an iPhone. It looks so similar in some aspects yet you know it just doesn't offer the same features and neat items mentioned before. It's like the generic version of G.I. Joe...sure, it's a solider with a gun, in a uniform, given a unique name like "Alpha" or "Sand Dog", and given an evil counterpart. Is it really G.I. Joe though? Sure you pay more for a name, only in this instance your are also getting a very useful piece of everyday living. I wouldn't be able to bring myself to be seen with a knock off iPhone. I would buy a RAZR or something on the opposite end of the spectrum. Plus the way people are going to try and knock the iPhone with this Voyager is only setting the stage for ridicule when the fun doesn't function and they have to say..."Yeah, I should have spent a little more and got the real deal."
They have free will, but when someone wants you to believe they have created the solution to not getting something with what might be an inferior product... it's really not their fault but someone trying to make a buck playing off someone's complex of "keeping up with the Jones'"

Sleeper

Bronze
Jul 21, 2007
I have to disagree. I tried the iPhone out last week and although it's got a beautiful interface and looks lovely it's just not got the features I want. In addition the browsing experience is crippled by slow loading rates - they're not horribly slow but when you're used to 3G and HSDPA it's still frustrating.

I compared it to my current phone - an N95 - and it just didn't stack up. Sure, the N95 has its own problems such as poor battery life and not enough system RAM (although the N95 8Gb corrects this but for some godforsaken reason is only available on Vodafone - which is bloody hypocritical considering they kicked off about the iPhone in Germany) but its got features I need or I'm used to.

I hope Apple get it right for iPhone 2.0 and don't try and fob us Europeans off with a product that's only really suitable for the US market. If they seriously want to do businesss over here they need to make sure it has an appropriate feature set to match our expectations. Oh yeah, and subsidise it. I mean, seriously, what the hell? I bet they drop the price soon after Xmas at this rate.

P.S. And don't surgically attach it to iTunes either. Not all of us want to use a shop window to load stuff on our phones.

H

Hayesimus

well then why are you even on the iPhone forums? i mean honestly. i don't go on the PS3 forums and tell people my XBOX360 is better because I played with a PS3 one time and now i know everything about it. sheesh. anyway, aside from our friends across the pond who apparently have much more sophisticated tastes and more comprehensive needs... yeah the iPhone is the winner hands down. and btw it WAS designed for the U.S. market. they are BASED in the U.S. afterall.

Sleeper

Bronze
Jul 21, 2007
Oh dear. A fanboy.

*Sigh*

Look, chief, I'll try to explain this in words you can understand. Pay attention now...

1) This is a public forum to discuss the iPhone, iPod and other Apple devices. Some comments are going to be good, some are going to bad. That's what happens when you allow free speech.

You are in favour of free speech, aren't you?

The forum is open to all nationalities, not just Americans - I know it's tempting to think you're the only country in the world but you're not. Seriously. So, hey, we Euros can have an opinion too. Isn't that grand?

Now here's the point: I like the concept of the iPhone. No, really, I do. It's just not good enough yet. However, if it gives the other manufacturers a boot up the arse and ultimately hastens the next generation of uberphones - whether Apple or not - then that has to be a good thing, doesn't it?

If iPhone 2.0 has the features it needs for a European market and doesn't tie me to one carrier or one method of loading information onto it then Nokia can kiss my businesss goodbye because the interface is better and easier to use. Until then it falls into the "God it's gorgeous but I can't quite justify getting it" category.

2) The iPhone was designed for the US market, that's true. Now pay attention though because this is the important bit:

Apple are selling it - and have always publicly stated that they will sell it - in Germany, the UK, France and, possibly, Spain. Those places are in Europe not in the US.

See?

In Marketing there's a golden rule. It's called "Know Your Customer". Apple haven't really looked into this and, as a result, they've released a "what if?" product rather than a "My God!" product. C'est la vie as our French cousins like to say.

However, I have hope for the future. The first iPod's were a bit crap but the later generations just killed every other competing product. Apple should still be dynamic enough to get market feedback and make damn sure the next iteration of the product isn't just suitable for purpose but actually blows everything else away. Until then it's a curiosity, nothing more.

Now if you want to make future posts can you please make sure they actually have some content and aren't just the usual tragic fanboy comments? That way people might start to take you seriously.

well then why are you even on the iPhone forums? i mean honestly. i don't go on the PS3 forums and tell people my XBOX360 is better because I played with a PS3 one time and now i know everything about it. sheesh. anyway, aside from our friends across the pond who apparently have much more sophisticated tastes and more comprehensive needs... yeah the iPhone is the winner hands down. and btw it WAS designed for the U.S. market. they are BASED in the U.S. afterall.
GREAT POINTS... SHEESH your ON A ROLL WITH your PAST COUPLE POSTS... LOL:cool::laugh2::p