I really did it this time.

moreofhim

Sep 23, 2007
I'm not very good with computers so I probably shouldnt have tried this but I had 1.1.2 and wanted to jailbreak my iPhone because a friend showed me a website that said i could tether my iPhone's internet for use on my laptop.

So I found the guide on the sticky in this forum, downloaded the 1.1.1 firmware and downloaded the apptapp installer. I shift/clicked on restore after it was in DFU mode and I got the 1015 error. Now the problems started, no matter what i did i could'nt get apptapp to install. It either kept freezing at the 4th step or it said "Failed to send to iPhone". i tried doing it with iTunes open, iTunes closed, nothing worked. I tried to restore with 1.1.1 3 times and apptapp never installed.

This is also a big mistake i probably made, I found an article that I thought might help and instead of reading everything (I was pretty frustrated by now) I just started doing.

My iPhone is already Cingular so i don't need it unlocked. I downloaded the iphuc program, and went through those 4 lines that needed to be typed in and my phone restarted. As soon as it restarted though I thought that this process may be for trying to "unlock" the phone so i stopped. I figured that by now i had probably screwed my phone up so bad that I should just stop all of this nonsense and just restore to earlier in the evening. I tried that and I got an error, "unknown error - could not restore". Now the phone is in recovery mode so I tried to restore to the factory settings (which sucked because i had to let it download 1.1.3 on my slow connection) and I got this error after it tried installing the software - "The iPhone “iPhone” could not be restored. An unknown error occurred (2003)."

So now i have an iPhone in recovery mode that I can't really do anything with that I probably unintentionally changed some code on it that might brick it. Besides slapping myself in the face for being an idiot, is there anything i can do?

Last edited by a moderator:

moreofhim

Sep 23, 2007
Those videos don't really help, I can't get to 1.1.3. Whenever i try to restore it to the "Factory" settings it requires that you update to the newest version. it goes through the entire process and then gives me the "unknown error" that I talked about in the original post.

KTORRES1120

Bronze
Dec 28, 2007
Those videos don't really help, I can't get to 1.1.3. Whenever i try to restore it to the "Factory" settings it requires that you update to the newest version. it goes through the entire process and then gives me the "unknown error" that I talked about in the original post.
Don't select to upgrade to the newest version. You can select to ask later or upgrade later. Then download 1.1.3 here:

http://appldnld.apple.com.edgesuite...80115.4Fvn7/iPhone1,1_1.1.3_4A93_Restore.ipsw

And do the Shift-click to restore to 1.1.3.

I had the same error when I tried to upgrade.

moreofhim

Sep 23, 2007
Okay, right before I tried to upgrade to your 1.1.3 post i thought i would try one last time to restore it to one of my earlier backups. I now have a phone that will turn on, has all of my "pre-screw up" music, videos, contacts, etc. But iTunes says it is version 1.1.1 and it is not activated so i can't actually use the phone. Could I jailbreak it now or should i try to do what ktorres says and try the shift click restore to the linked 1.1.3?

mj2320

Bronze
Jan 19, 2008
wait... what are you upgrading to right now

moreofhim

Sep 23, 2007
i'm not upgrading to anything right now. I have an inactive 1.1.1 ipod touch essentially. I would like to jailbreak it and get it to 1.1.3 if thats possible, just don't know how. (oh, i do have wifi access though, but i can't call or receive calls)

mj2320

Bronze
Jan 19, 2008
okkk right now on your ipod touch what do u see?

mj2320

Bronze
Jan 19, 2008
all he has to do is use wifi go to jailbreakme.com, download app snapp and then follow the second video i posted, when done with that post it and i will give you the way to get to 1.1.3