I really screwed up my phone - all icons are gone!

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

mgoulart

Oct 31, 2007
I've been using Customize and was having problems with rearranging my icons, so I restored the original icons and it still didn't work. Then, I stupidly uninstalled & reinstalled Customize. Well, then the restored icons worked, because I was left with NOTHING on my home screen. I can't get into anything unless someone calls or texts, otherwise my phone is useless. I don't want to have to restore my phone a 2nd time, so do you guys know of any other way for me to get my lifeline back?

kcarr91

Bronze
Apr 14, 2007
if you have no buttons on your home screen what so ever, you are probably have to restore it sorry but you have to

dazza

Sep 19, 2007
I did a similar thing myself, i just re-installed Customize using I-brickr , that brought everything up again.

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
I've been using Customize and was having problems with rearranging my icons, so I restored the original icons and it still didn't work. Then, I stupidly uninstalled & reinstalled Customize. Well, then the restored icons worked, because I was left with NOTHING on my home screen. I can't get into anything unless someone calls or texts, otherwise my phone is useless. I don't want to have to restore my phone a 2nd time, so do you guys know of any other way for me to get my lifeline back?
It sounds like your M68AP.plist file has been corrupted by Customize--a common occurrence.

If you don't have a backup of M68AP.plist, I've attached one here (zipped). Just delete your existing copy first then replace it with the one attached. The file is located here:
/System/Library/CoreServices/SpringBoard.app/

The bottom line is there should be no need to restore.

--
Mike

Attachments

mgoulart

Oct 31, 2007
It sounds like your M68AP.plist file has been corrupted by Customize--a common occurrence.

If you don't have a backup of M68AP.plist, I've attached one here (zipped). Just delete your existing copy first then replace it with the one attached. The file is located here:

The bottom line is there should be no need to restore.

--
Mike

Thanks for the help.
Except I'm pretty new at this stuff, and I cannot find that anywhere.
If you could help me out a bit, it'd be much appreciated.

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
Thanks for the help.
Except I'm pretty new at this stuff, and I cannot find that anywhere.
If you could help me out a bit, it'd be much appreciated.
OK, for starters, stay the heck away from Customize. It's practically criminal the way that app can behave with 1.1.1.

Second, as noted by others, download iBrickr .091. Unzip it into a folder, connect your iPhone to the PC with the sync cable, and double-click iBrickr.exe. Go through any needed PXL setup steps (follow the instructions).

Then use iBrickr to get to, on the iPhone:

That's where you'll need to repace the copy of M68AP.plist with the one I attached in the last post. After you replace it, DO NOT press the home button on your iPhone. Just turn it off and then turn it back on again (off as in off, not sleep).

--
Mike