I really want this phone but....

mc511

Mar 16, 2007
Well there are certain things that is bugging me about this phone.

1: the widgets. They seem great but jobs said that the widgits uses cingular EDGE. Well that probably costs money to use a month so thats an expensive bill right there. Or will the EGDE feature be free. I don't wanna use it if its gonna cost me to much. I own stock and like checking my weather to see if it gonna be a nice day out ya know.

2:Visual Voice mail is another great feature. Well again that might have a separate plan to use.

The problem is is that i already pay 10 bucks a month to text and got to my media net about $10 time in the month. I would be willing to downgrade to the $5 and maybe try to get visual voice mail. I am still not sure what the EDGE feature will do or if it will cost me. also i am on a family plan. I hope i can still use it on that.

itsabouttime

Silver
Feb 18, 2007
San Antonio, Tx.
I'm sure they will offer an unlimited data plan that will allow you to access the widgets and voice mail and internet for one set price.

mc511

Mar 16, 2007
oh yeah i am sure they will but i don't wanna pay anymore than $10 for a data plan. I hope those plans are very varied in price.

itsabouttime

Silver
Feb 18, 2007
San Antonio, Tx.
$10 ? That's awfuly cheap! Don't get me wrong, I would love to only pay $10 but it's just not realistic.

mc511

Mar 16, 2007
Well when you work part time and at school the rest of the time you will understand.

wot_fan

Silver
Mar 7, 2007
Chicagoland
web.mac.com
Well when you work part time and at school the rest of the time you will understand.
Been there, done that ;). I don't know how you can afford the iPhone in the first place. I couldn't afford any cool toys back then. Thank God, now is a different story :cool:.

Back to the topic, right now I have an unlimited data plan from Cingular/AT&T for $20/month. I am hoping it won't cost more for the equivalent on the iPhone. I will be amazed if it costs less though. For your sake (and mine I guess) I hope I am wrong.

mc511

Mar 16, 2007
ya i am hoping for like a $10 data plan. I do a lot of texting and i don't get a lot of voice mails. But i just don't want to pay for extras that i don't want like cingular EDGE. They will if they wanna hit 10 million users by 2008

Mar 7, 2007
i hope they don't make it all gay and crap to where you can only access the widgets using EDGE and not WiFi at all.

Mar 19, 2007
I'm sorry but I'm sure the plan will be $20+ at least! The phone is marketed for businesss owners and the like, people who could afford hundreds of dollars worth of phone bills a month. Not that the bill will be that much...I'm just saying their target audience is not highschool, or college students.

I had a sidekick until recently and it's data plan is $20 a month, and I thought that was cheap for everything it had with it.

G-sus

Mar 19, 2007
Well there are certain things that is bugging me about this phone.

1: the widgets. They seem great but jobs said that the widgits uses cingular EDGE. Well that probably costs money to use a month so thats an expensive bill right there. Or will the EGDE feature be free. I don't wanna use it if its gonna cost me to much. I own stock and like checking my weather to see if it gonna be a nice day out ya know.

2:Visual Voice mail is another great feature. Well again that might have a separate plan to use.

The problem is is that i already pay 10 bucks a month to text and got to my media net about $10 time in the month. I would be willing to downgrade to the $5 and maybe try to get visual voice mail. I am still not sure what the EDGE feature will do or if it will cost me. also i am on a family plan. I hope i can still use it on that.

In the keynote Job's said iPhone would switch to WiFi automaticly. All you need is a WiFi hotspot which are everywhere and there are even some cities that are completely WiFi enabled. If you are still worried it is rumored Cingular will offer special plans for the iPhone that will make up for the high price.

hoits2000

Bronze
Mar 15, 2007
I wonder if they will make it like the 40 dollar pda connect. I have a treo and I am using the 20 media max with unlimited internet. I have had problems with Windows based phones that have wifi, because I couldnt get the media max to work on it, only the wifi part. That is the only downside, but well see.

Any how, I REALLY WANT THIS PHONE BUT.....

My wife wont let me, she said this treo i got is the last phone I can get for a year!

(Sigh)

TrippalHealicks

Gold
Mar 2, 2007
Hate to burst your bubble, but I don't think this phone was made for you, much less the price tag and upkeep(monthly service plan)....
:cool:

TrippalHealicks

Gold
Mar 2, 2007
I wonder if they will make it like the 40 dollar pda connect. I have a treo and I am using the 20 media max with unlimited internet. I have had problems with Windows based phones that have wifi, because I couldnt get the media max to work on it, only the wifi part. That is the only downside, but well see.

My wife wont let me, she said this treo i got is the last phone I can get for a year!

(Sigh)
Do what I do. Sell it on eBay to pad the cost.
Maybe work some overtime at your work, (if it's avaiable) gotta cut luxury costs everywhere you can. ;)

Macster

Bronze
Feb 21, 2007
Oregon

(Sigh)
My wife is all for me getting the iPhone. Unfortunately that means I have to buy two as she also wants one!

mcrist

Mar 20, 2007

(Sigh)
Is there any info on package deals from Cingular on this phone? I am curious about the web-browsing feature and the ability to download articles.

jswan

Mar 20, 2007
Hate to burst your bubble, but I don't think this phone was made for you, much less the price tag and upkeep(monthly service plan)....
:cool:
I'm not entirely sure that's true. Yes, the iPhone's expensive, but if Apple is serious about meeting their projections for sales, it seems likely that the market for this won't be purely those who already have smartphones.

Remember, before the iPod came out, it would have seemed ridiculous for high school students everywhere to own a $400 mp3 player. Now they're ubiquitous. I'm betting Apple's aiming for something similar now. Granted, it might be harder, since there are already so many cell companies, but I doubt Apple is looking at current smart-phone owners as its major cell market in the long term.

ScottHawk

Mar 7, 2007
In the keynote Job's said iPhone would switch to WiFi automaticly. All you need is a WiFi hotspot which are everywhere and there are even some cities that are completely WiFi enabled. If you are still worried it is rumored Cingular will offer special plans for the iPhone that will make up for the high price.

i really hope so. That's a relief. I'm not planning on getting Edge. Only WiFi...Wifi is available EVERYWHERE in my town so that will be great. I've been waiting for more phones to be Wifi enabled. This one is perfect. Now I only wonder if you can get on AIM through wifi.

hoits2000

Bronze
Mar 15, 2007
Is there any info on package deals from Cingular on this phone? I am curious about the web-browsing feature and the ability to download articles.
Not yet, I have a feeling though that it is in the contract that Cingular signed with Apple for the exclusive rights, and I bet its expensive, at least 50 bucks. But it will include more the just internet access, probably a big text message plan, and something else with one of the features of the iPhone.