I saw this coming for Netflix

cindra

Bronze
Dec 17, 2008
North Carolina
More crappy explanations does not make what Netflix did okay or make me want to go back. Into the black hole with them! Oh--wrong thread. Carry on...

casssax

Bronze
Jun 15, 2010
I like Netflix, I watch the streaming all the time (rarely ever watch regular TV any more) and the price change is really not a big deal to me (basic cable is charging $25/month and really doesn't have much worth watching so $8 for streaming is not bad at all).

My tastes may be different than many others in that I'm not really looking for the newest releases because IMHO most new releases are not very good at all. I'm more interested in rare movies that I would probably never see if it weren't for Nflix. I'm more troubled by the Stars pull-out than the streaming/dvd split. I've seen many great series that were Starts (Sparticus, Pillers of the Earth, Rome (I think that was stars) ) but I also watch some old TV shows that are Stars as well.

Splitting the company seems like a strange move though. Is the same CEO going to be running both parts of the company or are both new versions of the company going to go in two different directions. The whole idea of them 're-branding' the DVD businesss (the core of their success) says that they don't even want people associating the two. It seems kind of sloppy also that they did the split of streaming and DVD and then a month or two later say they are creating a whole new company to split the two. Why didn't they just wait and do the whole thing at once.

I think everybody can agree that they have got their work cut out for them on the streaming side because their catalog is still very small compared to DVD. They will definitely need new partners in Hollywood to get newer releases. I would not be surprised if the next big announcement from them is about premier subscriptions or an on-demand type service for A-list movies and content. They also say they are going to start offering games as well so that will help a little.

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona

My thoughts are that $8 per month is too little to be able deliver an abundance of good--and fresh--content and also keep the studios and networks happy ($$$). I mean for those of us who don't care about the DVD through the mail thing there really was no price increase. I wish I could just get something more akin to live TV and for that I'd pay a bit more. As it is I have dropped my Dish subscription down to the bare minimum and found I don't even miss the "lost" channels. But I could lose Dish altogether if I could get at least some "live" TV on Netflix. I have no problem reading news on the pc or iOS device but as I am running around getting ready in the morning or whatnot it's easier to just keep the news on TV. I could stream, say, CNN any of my devices but only if I provide my Dish login information--that needs to end.

As for the splitting up of Netflix there has already been a sort of split in the customer base: I have had several debates over the last year or so about Netflix and there seemed to be one group who loved getting and swapping DVDs in the mail. Then there were those, like me, who don't want to wait for the US mail and didn't care much for that aspect of Netflix. If I decide I want to see a movie I'd rather pick it up right now from Red Box rather than wait for something in the mail.

So perhaps it really is two different businessses and they need to be split up. And since the DVD-delivery side is very dependent on the US Postal Service, which is in dire straights and likely to cut services, I suspect its days are numbered. I'm glad it is not keeping the Netflix name.

But as for the whole price-increase maelstrom? There was none for me.

Michael

casssax

Bronze
Jun 15, 2010
The thing that I like about getting DVD's in the mail is that you can listen to the directors comments or change the langauge on some movies to watch in the original or overdubed in english. The directors commentary is what I miss the most watching streaming movies. I got the movie 'The Conversation" starring Gene Hackman and the DVD includes commentary from both F.F.Coppola and from the Cinematographer. It was great to get two different perspectives on the same movie. I also liked to listen to commentary on the Akira Kurosawa movies as well. Lots of great incite into how the movies are made.