I searched but I need to know...

BoomerFZ1

Bronze
Dec 10, 2008
Just wondering if anyone has any theories on why Apple has chosen to omit basic features like cut/paste, mms, etc. It doesn't seem like it would be cost prohibitive and could most likely be handled with a firmware update. Seems like they're almost not doin' it for a reason (but what's the reason?) Anyone have thoughts on this?

Medwynd

Dec 21, 2008
Just wondering if anyone has any theories on why Apple has chosen to omit basic features like cut/paste, mms, etc. It doesn't seem like it would be cost prohibitive and could most likely be handled with a firmware update. Seems like they're almost not doin' it for a reason (but what's the reason?) Anyone have thoughts on this?
I was just searching around on this after discovering these things weren't possible and the consensus seems to be that they don't have to because people will buy it anyway.

With respect to full disclosure, I do own a 3g, but to be honest I didn't research into these features when going to pick up one because I made the assumption these basic features that have been around forever would be included. I guess like anything its up to the buyer to be knowledgeable about what they are buying.

BoomerFZ1

Bronze
Dec 10, 2008
I knew about all the iPhone's shortcomings and none of them were even close to a deal breaker. But that kinda sucks if "people will by it anyway" is the reason.

Picazzo

Zealot
Gold
Jan 21, 2008
Copenhagen, Denmark
Apple don't think that you need MMS - they like @mails. The copy/paste thing is a ghost.....we all need now and then to copy some website text and insert these into an @mail etc. If you jailbreak your iPhone you'll get MMS, and if you use iCopy you'll get copy/paste from websites.

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
Apple has said very, very little about why these features are missing. So any searching is mostly just going to find conjecture on why they are.

One of the very few statements from them on copy&paste had a product development type guy saying it was 'low priority' on their features wish list (huh - WTF?). See this post for example:

http://www.macnn.com/articles/08/07/14/Apple.defends.iPhone.20/

Picazzo

Zealot
Gold
Jan 21, 2008
Copenhagen, Denmark
Apple has said very, very little about why these features are missing. So any searching is mostly just going to find conjecture on why they are.

One of the very few statements from them on copy&paste had a product development type guy saying it was 'low priority' on their features wish list (huh - WTF?). See this post for example:

http://www.macnn.com/articles/08/07/14/Apple.defends.iPhone.20/
That "low priority" is driving all of us iPhone "lovers" crazy...I don't know if you have seen this website: PleaseFixTheiPhone....lol

glsda

Zealot
Gold
Oct 17, 2007
California
I started following the iPhone from its introduction. I came from a Plam Treo 650 which had cut & paste and other features we all want on the iPhone. I knew what I was giving up with the iPhone. I didn't buy the v1 hoping that the G3 would be enough of an improvement to justifiy switching. It was and I did. I don't regret it at all. I really enjoy my 3G.

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
That "low priority" is driving all of us iPhone "lovers" crazy...I don't know if you have seen this website: PleaseFixTheiPhone....lol
Checked that site - pretty funny. Not really huge numbers next to each item though, as a %age of all the iPhones out there anyway. Maybe it's quite young.

I think part of the equation here is that one of Apple's greatest strengths is something that can cause users pain sometimes - in that they are not a 'Listen to the users' type of outfit. They're a 'Let's come up with something brilliant and perfectly executed and as soon as they see it, you know they'll want it' bunch. They sure didn't come up with the iPhone itself by listening to conventional wisdom on smartphones, what the carriers thought was needed, or anything else.

Picazzo

Zealot
Gold
Jan 21, 2008
Copenhagen, Denmark
Checked that site - pretty funny. Not really huge numbers next to each item though, as a %age of all the iPhones out there anyway. Maybe it's quite young.

I think part of the equation here is that one of Apple's greatest strengths is something that can cause users pain sometimes - in that they are not a 'Listen to the users' type of outfit. They're a 'Let's come up with something brilliant and perfectly executed and as soon as they see it, you know they'll want it' bunch. They sure didn't come up with the iPhone itself by listening to conventional wisdom on smartphones, what the carriers thought was needed, or anything else.
I guess you're right here! Apple don't want us to tell them what to do or not. I think they have a clear plan about the iPhone - also the next generations!

glsda

Zealot
Gold
Oct 17, 2007
California
I guess you're right here! Apple don't want us to tell them what to do or not. I think they have a clear plan about the iPhone - also the next generations!

Picazzo,

I agree, we can only hope we get more of what we want. Apple's philosophy is get in, sit down, buckle up, shut up and hang on.

PepeRB29

Mar 21, 2008
8 mile
good thing you suck at searching.

Apple's policy is stop whining. if you have a question about it feel free to pm me.

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
A possible reason would be that Apple doesn't want to compromise its software. They may feel as if MMS isn't best for the phone and that e-mail is the wave of the future. This of course neglects the fact that SMS is thereforee ancient as well as you can use e-mail for that.