I Swear I Know The Difference Between CDMA And GSM

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

socalkevin21

Bronze
Jul 8, 2007
I know this would involve a lot of time and money but would it be possible AT ALL, to incorporate CDMA into the iPhone and make it work on Verizon? Any circuit board or radio.. ANYTHING... would it be possible? Just curious :laugh2:

Prelector

Bronze
Sep 6, 2007
Is it theoretically possible? Yes. The same device could be offered in a GSM or CDMA version by the manufacturer.

Is it physically possible? Potentially. It depends on how much room is within the casing, and how small the CDMA modem board is.

Is it possible to change an existing device? No. The device would have to be remanufactured to be one or the other.

SmartAlx

Zealot
Gold
Jun 7, 2007
Guys, I think he's asking if there's the possibility of there being a HARDWARE hacking method to adding CDMA to the iPhone.

To that I say, "get your butt on over to http://www.hackaday.com/" and ask them.

My guess is that it would quite difficult. I'm sure there would me more to it than just soldering a fancy circuit to the iPhone or creating something you can plug into it. You would no doubt have to make some software/firmware/etc. changes too.

By the way, this is my 501st post. I just made evangelist. Go me.

Redfor

Bronze
Jul 31, 2007
Fort Knox, KY area
You cannot hack/reprogram a GSM phone to work on CDMA.. Not possible. The hardware is completely different. CDMA phones hold all the user information/programming Such as SID, PRLs(Primary Roaming Lists which hold all the SID numbers for all the carrier abc carrier will allow the phone to roam on ), the radio itself works completely different as well. Not sure about GSM but CDMA Radios actually adjust signal levels and do not stay at a certain wattage.
The only option that remains is that Apple would have to manufacture a CDMA version, which I wouldn't doubt if they did in the future... But I wouldn't expect it for at least a year or so..
Thing I found really entertaining about the code that gets you into Diagnostics on the iPhone... It's pretty much the SAME code Nokia uses for programming their CDMA phones.. I don't know if Nokia is using a new code, but I do know it works on all phones before and after the 6265 and 3155.

SmartAlx

Zealot
Gold
Jun 7, 2007
You cannot hack/reprogram a GSM phone to work on CDMA.. Not possible. The hardware is completely different.
But can you ADD something to the phone to make it work on a CDMA network? Don't CHANGE the hardware on the iPhone. Add to the iPhone. It doesn't have to be pretty - it could be in a box outside the phone but wired to the phone. Is it possible to create a module or something that one can connect to the iPhone to make it work on a CDMA network?

I think that's what the OP was asking. Right?

He did say "Any circuit board or radio.. ANYTHING..."

up10ad

Genius
Gold
Aug 1, 2007
Fruita , CO
up10ad.com
But can you ADD something to the phone to make it work on a CDMA network? Don't CHANGE the hardware on the iPhone. Add to the iPhone. It doesn't have to be pretty - it could be in a box outside the phone but wired to the phone. Is it possible to create a module or something that one can connect to the iPhone to make it work on a CDMA network?

I think that's what the OP was asking. Right?

He did say "Any circuit board or radio.. ANYTHING..."
OK, so we are considering absolutely ANY way to do it? In that case how about you rubberband a CDMA phone to your iPhone and make a connection between the external speaker and mic on the CDMA phone to the iPhone mic input and speaker. You would then dial on the CDMA phone but could talk and listen on the iPhone. :rolleyes:

In other words, no, it can't be done without Apple incorporating all the CDMA hardware into the iPhone and making it a multiband GSM/CDMA device.

Sorry, I couldn't resist... ;)

kdarling

Bronze
Jun 20, 2007
NJ, NC, CO
Well, it won't help the phone part (unless iPhone gets VOIP), but plenty of people use a WiFi - EVDO repeater in their cars... giving their carpool basically a roaming hotspot.

Real kludge and not very personally portable :)