I switched to T-Mobile (no cancellation fee) and now my bill is $39 cheaper a month

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
Ok I usually use about 500-600 minutes a month, so with AT&T I had to go with the 900 min plan at $59.99 a month. Then I added unlimited texting for $20, and my data of course was another $20, bringing me to $100 a month before taxes.

Now get this. I got the 600 min plan with T-Mobile with unlimited n+w for $39.99 a month (1000 min was only $49.99). I added unlimited texting for $14.99 and here's the real kicker, their unlimited data package was only $5.99! It's called T-Zones and it's just as fast as AT&T's package. All I had to do was a simple hack here which took less than 5 minutes. Now my bill is $61 a month before taxes which is $39 cheaper. If I got the 1000 min plan I would have 100 more minutes a month than I had before and it would have only been $71.

As far as the cancellation fee, T-Mobile gave me a free Blackberry Pearl which is selling on eBay for between $200 and $250 and T-Mobile offered to unlock it for me. I'll actually make money on the deal.

What a great decision, I've never been happier. It's also really fun to call T-Mobile and when they ask what phone you have, you go "Uh, I have the iPhone" and listen to them get all flustered and nervous haha.

adseguy

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
good writeup and good decision (for you)

Any quirks about t-zones as far as limits or areas or roaming or anything? Is it just as good as the ATT EDGE?

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
good writeup and good decision (for you)

Any quirks about t-zones as far as limits or areas or roaming or anything? Is it just as good as the ATT EDGE?
I've used it for maybe a total of an hour since yesterday and one time google wouldn't load so I had to refresh. But besides that one time it seems exactly the same.

Silverado

Bronze
Jul 6, 2007
I put a link in the OP to the site that explained it to me, I just did what they told me to.
By the way, following those instructions exactly stopped my iPhone from using WiFi (would always use EDGE even when it was connected to my WiFi network). I had to manually edit my original preferences.plist file to add the proxies section (instead of using the downloaded preferences.plist) for it to work properly.

nobbie

Bronze
Jul 23, 2007
Very nice. Keep us posted on how things progress for you.

As it stands, I'm on the Go Plan and only pay $51.64 a month. Then again, there are no text messages (I abhor texting) and only 200 minutes a month (more than I need really, and they do roll over). So, for my needs, I'm paying less WITHOUT a contract! ;)

I don't think the T-mobile reps should be nervous. It's AT&T that should!

Hi-Phone

Jul 5, 2007
Very nice. Keep us posted on how things progress for you.

As it stands, I'm on the Go Plan and only pay $51.64 a month. Then again, there are no text messages (I abhor texting) and only 200 minutes a month (more than I need really, and they do roll over). So, for my needs, I'm paying less WITHOUT a contract! ;)

I don't think the T-mobile reps should be nervous. It's AT&T that should!
People people! Some of you are all getting suckered by the prices of your services but do you ever think how your service performance will be? I don't know where you are located but here in California T-mobile is a BIG laugh... thats great that you pay cheaper but why not think about it for a second? you have a good EXPENSIVE iPhone and yet you want cheap things for it. For me if you have something that valuble I get anything to have my phone in top notch condition whether it be anything ingeneral at all. But if your happy with what you got for CHEAP let us know how the over reception and service goes for you! Not only in your home but everywhere you go! that would be a great test.

Silverado

Bronze
Jul 6, 2007
People people! Some of you are all getting suckered by the prices of your services but do you ever think how your service performance will be? I don't know where you are located but here in California T-mobile is a BIG laugh... thats great that you pay cheaper but why not think about it for a second? you have a good EXPENSIVE iPhone and yet you want cheap things for it. For me if you have something that valuble I get anything to have my phone in top notch condition whether it be anything ingeneral at all. But if your happy with what you got for CHEAP let us know how the over reception and service goes for you! Not only in your home but everywhere you go! that would be a great test.
I've used T-Mobile for 6 years and their service and network is far superior to AT&T for me thus far. AT&T drops my calls left and right on the iPhone, which makes me laugh about their ads (fewest dropped calles my foot).

YMMV.

Hi-Phone

Jul 5, 2007
I've used T-Mobile for 6 years and their service and network is far superior to AT&T for me thus far. AT&T drops my calls left and right on the iPhone, which makes me laugh about their ads (fewest dropped calles my foot).

YMMV.
well like i said, i live in california and the reception here is AWESOME! even if i were to go on a road trip to SAN FRANCISCO to LA i would have FLAWLESS service the whole way without DROPPED calls! including NEVADA too.. i don't go anywhere else cause i don't need to but for the most part ive been with cingular as id like to call it more than AT&T for 10 years.. and im pretty sure that you have been with t mobile ever since they started since day one giving your company the LEECH of ours and using our towers.. anything else.....?

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
well like i said, i live in california and the reception here is AWESOME! even if i were to go on a road trip to SAN FRANCISCO to LA i would have FLAWLESS service the whole way without DROPPED calls! including NEVADA too.. i don't go anywhere else cause i don't need to but for the most part ive been with cingular as id like to call it more than AT&T for 10 years.. and im pretty sure that you have been with t mobile ever since they started since day one giving your company the LEECH of ours and using our towers.. anything else.....?
T-Mobile service is awesome where I live too. And since they roam onto AT&T towers, they should generally be just as good as AT&T everywhere. No dropped calls yet for me.

xSoNiCcRaCkErSx

Bronze
Jun 30, 2007
I live in california 2, san francisco bay area and t mobile is quite the joke. Ive had them for 6 months and i couldnt take it at all. a lot of my friends have/had it and the only reason their still on it is because they cant afford the fees with other cell phone services, they admit to the service is terrible in the california area. horrible reception and dropped calls left n right. Th first 2 months with them was alright but it went all downhill after that. supposedly on the east coast their service is far superior to their westcoast service though.
what region are you staying in?

Silverado

Bronze
Jul 6, 2007
The world is not only California. T-Mobile (previously Voicestream) had GSM in the northeast before the old AT&T Wireless even had GSM. T-Mobile here does NOT use AT&T towers.

Please do not generalize.

nobbie

Bronze
Jul 23, 2007
Please read my post better. I'm still with AT&T. Just not locked into a two year contract. And since I don't use SMS or talk more than 200 minutes a month, I don't need to pay as much as you.

And when we were with Cingular, service totally sucked.

HELPmepLox

Bronze
Jul 15, 2007
So.Cal
y t-zone isn't the hotspot one better and when u unlock it don't u have to open the whole iPhone up its not just a simple download + with the new update u cant do it because it will render your phone inoperable i heard but that only if u update i don't plan to update

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
y t-zone isn't the hotspot one better and when u unlock it don't u have to open the whole iPhone up its not just a simple download + with the new update u cant do it because it will render your phone inoperable i heard but that only if u update i don't plan to update
Please use periods every once in a while, it's hard to follow what you're trying to say. And no the hotspot one isn't better, the t-zones works fine, you don't need to open your phone, yes it is a simple download, and no it won't render your phone inoperable.

ChemicalWeather

Bronze
Sep 9, 2007
Please use periods every once in a while, it's hard to follow what you're trying to say. And no the hotspot one isn't better, the t-zones works fine, you don't need to open your phone, yes it is a simple download, and no it won't render your phone inoperable.
well, let's hope not.