I think AT&T is killing it for me..

J17369

Bronze
Jul 14, 2008
Did some searching for iPhone forums on google and ran into this one, so I guess this will be my introductory post. I've spent most of the weekend considering getting the new iPhone 3G.. a friend of mine at work had the original but I wrote it off as too expensive, so I never really thought much of it other than being a neat toy that would be fun to have one day.

I was seriously considering caving in and getting the 3G this morning, even though I'm stuck with my Sprint family plan with my fiance till November (she's paying for it currently, only $65 a month) so I figured I'd just buy into the hype and get the iPhone, since I would only we'd only be paying double for four months or so. Sprint has offered me the Samsung Instinct for free since I have some $150 phone credit, if I extend my contract another two years of course, but it seems like a sub-par phone. The interface just isn't up to par with the iPhone though, and neither is the storage.. all the reviews I've read said it falls behind in many other aspects.

But what's killing it the most for me, is AT&T itself.. I love my Sprint plan, especially the fact that free nights start at 7PM, but AT&T's nights start at 9PM?! They'd already be shafting me with a crappy number of anytime minutes on the basic iPhone plan... but a lot of businesss people I know are just crawling into bed at that time, which really kills the convenience I've had of an extra two hours of talk time on Sprint. I noticed that I could pay a whopping $17 more a month (I could be spending this on a text messaging plan or something else) to get earlier nights.

I think that simple fact might have entirely blew the iPhone hype/fever/whatever you call it for me and now I'm going to have to settle with what I have and go with the crappy looking Samsung Instinct knock-off. :sick:

J17369

Bronze
Jul 14, 2008
Oh.. I must add. On this plus side: AT&T has roll-over minutes which Sprint does not. I'm not sure if this outweighs some of the other downsides.....

Ace4261991

Silver
Jun 18, 2007
first off... welcome to the forums :)
also lemme say i absolutely love my iPhone and the experience its brought me since june 29th last year and now with the 3g this year.
but you gotta do whats best for you. if the free nights are really that important to you then just stay. paying for both sprint and att for a while will be expensive. i don't think the instict is too bad if i couldnt get the iPhone thats what id get it seems to be the closest thing to it considering they looked at all the iPhones flaws and tried to out do them according to their commercials lol. its got gps and all that good stuff and its not bad for a non-iphone-phone lol.
im sure other people will give you more nfo and help as i don't think i was much a help here because i didn't tell you exactly one answer lol im not just gonna tell you to buy the iPhone and waste all that money because of the situation your currently in. but if money isn't a problem to you go for it.

nobopyon

Bronze
Jul 11, 2008
Dallas, TX
Hi, I do understand your frustration.
I've been with cingular and now it's att for almost 3 years, ever since the texting came in, I rather texting my friends than calling them.

I do have only basic plan all these years, I believe 400 min anytime, and 5000 weekends, plus unlimited mobile to mobile.
Without me knowing most of my friends turned out to be or swithced to be att and most of my min of talking to my friends are unlimited, now I have plenty of roll-over min.
I never worried about I'd go over the min anymore..

One of my friend just got the sumsong instinct a few days ago, and he was telling me he is going to return it, mainly because it does not support wi-fi (I do not know if it's true, but that's what he was telling me, so please verify yourself).

Now with 3G iPhone, it is like upgrade from phone internet connection to DSL/cable connection to me, so I do not mind paying a bit more for that.
I think it's just awsome that you are always connected with 3G (well, I guess if you live in the 3G network coverage area).

I'm not really trying to convince you to switch to att but it's maybe something you can think about before you decided to stay with sprint? (that there "is" mobie-mobie and roll-over min)

I can tell you that I LOVE my 3G iPhone :) imagine getting an awsome mini computer/phone/music player in one, it's totally awsome!

mlass

Silver
Jun 19, 2007
sprint had 7pm then went to 9pm and the back to 7pm. Art does offer a 7pm for a cost. In the dfw area sprint has poor reception. It depends on what state you live in, which carrier is better. AT&T has been good to me in several years, but believe they put there hand in my pocket.

Ace4261991

Silver
Jun 18, 2007
yeah rollover mins are awsome im on a family plan and 4 of us share 2100 mins and in a year weve accumulated over 9000 rollover mins and we recentluy got unlimted texting for the whole family plan for only 30 dollars a month which is great!

stevetim

Silver
Jul 20, 2007
If actually talking to people is your cup of tea, then stay with Sprint(hey, my bro-in-law works for them on the network nodes). They are a good company and have some good draws.

But, I am finding myself discovering, especially with iPhone's new apps, many different ways to communicate with people, and actually they are more fun than talking. Loopt is great because I have already linked about 7 people together and we can actually text through the phone and update messages about ourselves that others can reply/update in reply. This is the networking/fun feature I don't think any other carrier can really duplicate on the scale that Apple/ATT are doing now.

I've been with Cell One/Bellsouth Mobility/Cingular/ATT Wireless for over 12 years now and really haven't had too many negatives to say. ATT for one, boosted their digital signal immediately after taking over Cingular's name and have really done a great job with signal quality in the Miami area. They did, however, switch the night calling plan from 7pm to 9pm. So yes, this is kinda the only thing I thought was a real negative on their part.

J17369

Bronze
Jul 14, 2008
If actually talking to people is your cup of tea, then stay with Sprint(hey, my bro-in-law works for them on the network nodes). They are a good company and have some good draws.

But, I am finding myself discovering, especially with iPhone's new apps, many different ways to communicate with people, and actually they are more fun than talking. Loopt is great because I have already linked about 7 people together and we can actually text through the phone and update messages about ourselves that others can reply/update in reply. This is the networking/fun feature I don't think any other carrier can really duplicate on the scale that Apple/ATT are doing now.

I've been with Cell One/Bellsouth Mobility/Cingular/ATT Wireless for over 12 years now and really haven't had too many negatives to say. ATT for one, boosted their digital signal immediately after taking over Cingular's name and have really done a great job with signal quality in the Miami area. They did, however, switch the night calling plan from 7pm to 9pm. So yes, this is kinda the only thing I thought was a real negative on their part.
Thanks for the responses everyone! Stevetim brought up a pretty valid point though. The apps provide a limitless experience to communication, that's the biiiiiig seller for the iPhone. I've seen the AIM app in action and was quite impressed, though mobile phones have had AIM for many years, it works wonders on the iPhone. The social networking sites are a big plus, but I'm not one to be using myspace and such.

To be honest, I'm not much of a talker myself.. but my fiance is. All of her friends and family are on Sprint, and she's currently used 1000 Sprint mobile to mobile minutes (500 talking to me) and it's only been 13 days into the month, so I'd be worried when she makes the jump to AT&T.

But yeah, the iPhone 3G is pretty neat to me in the fact that you can do so many other things besides call and text. Since the text messaging costs money/is an add on, it looks like the E-mail is free and there's probably some texting apps too. I don't have iTunes on my computer right now, otherwise I'd check out some of the apps. I've seen some on the Apple website and I'm impressed.

This decision is such a splitting headache.. the awesome iPhone 3G vs. the clunky imitation phone that seems pretty popular.

|3are

Silver
Jun 13, 2008
Texas
To be honest, I'm not much of a talker myself.. but my fiance is. All of her friends and family are on Sprint, and she's currently used 1000 Sprint mobile to mobile minutes (500 talking to me) and it's only been 13 days into the month, so I'd be worried when she makes the jump to AT&T.
Pretty sure that if you were both on AT&T, you could talk to each other as much as you want. According to your provided statistic, that takes care of at least half of her talk time.

Regarding iPhone plans vs. Sprint plans, it's obvious that companies like T-mobile and Sprint are going to give you great deals. That's the main way they attract customers.

Also, AT&T sucks for reasons entirely different than the ones you listed -- although I only have two days worth of direct, personal experience with them.

stevetim

Silver
Jul 20, 2007
well hope you pick the iPhone because it's honestly the most fun there is on a mobile platform.
Oh btw. Look at how much communicating we all do here in a simple Internet forum without ever speaking a word. Food got thought.

J17369

Bronze
Jul 14, 2008
Ah thanks.. some of these apps look really cool. (Phonesaber especially :cool:)

How's the 3G service in the Melbourne, FL area? I tried doing a search and saw something about them adding $200 million worth of cell towers in Feb. and something about 3G, but I don't see my town on the coverage map. My fiance had Cingular about 3-4 years ago and said the reception was horrible, her main reason for going to sprint.

J17369

Bronze
Jul 14, 2008
well hope you pick the iPhone because it's honestly the most fun there is on a mobile platform.
Oh btw. Look at how much communicating we all do here in a simple Internet forum without ever speaking a word. Food got thought.
Are you talking in this forum on your iPhone? Heh.

Ace4261991

Silver
Jun 18, 2007
3g coverage in florida is great heres the link to the map that shows all the coverage in the us
http://www.wireless.att.com/coverageviewer/
go there type your address in then click the box on the bottem right that says show 3g coverage. the blue is where the 3g is

Ace4261991

Silver
Jun 18, 2007
looks pretty good anything a little south of melborne isn't but up north more looks good

Last edited by a moderator:

J17369

Bronze
Jul 14, 2008
3g coverage in florida is great heres the link to the map that shows all the coverage in the us
http://www.wireless.att.com/coverageviewer/
go there type your address in then click the box on the bottem right that says show 3g coverage. the blue is where the 3g is
Ah cool.. that coverage map thing actually worked. For the past few days it was saying it was having problems or something with the search. Looks like my whole area is pretty much covered, including the beaches.

Can't go probably more than twenty miles south, or twenty miles west.. but I can head 50 miles north and still get 3G.

spazzman90

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
Did some searching for iPhone forums on google and ran into this one, so I guess this will be my introductory post. I've spent most of the weekend considering getting the new iPhone 3G.. a friend of mine at work had the original but I wrote it off as too expensive, so I never really thought much of it other than being a neat toy that would be fun to have one day.

I was seriously considering caving in and getting the 3G this morning, even though I'm stuck with my Sprint family plan with my fiance till November (she's paying for it currently, only $65 a month) so I figured I'd just buy into the hype and get the iPhone, since I would only we'd only be paying double for four months or so. Sprint has offered me the Samsung Instinct for free since I have some $150 phone credit, if I extend my contract another two years of course, but it seems like a sub-par phone. The interface just isn't up to par with the iPhone though, and neither is the storage.. all the reviews I've read said it falls behind in many other aspects.

But what's killing it the most for me, is AT&T itself.. I love my Sprint plan, especially the fact that free nights start at 7PM, but AT&T's nights start at 9PM?! They'd already be shafting me with a crappy number of anytime minutes on the basic iPhone plan... but a lot of businesss people I know are just crawling into bed at that time, which really kills the convenience I've had of an extra two hours of talk time on Sprint. I noticed that I could pay a whopping $17 more a month (I could be spending this on a text messaging plan or something else) to get earlier nights.

I think that simple fact might have entirely blew the iPhone hype/fever/whatever you call it for me and now I'm going to have to settle with what I have and go with the crappy looking Samsung Instinct knock-off. :sick:

AT&T has a couple of significant features that off-set that 2 hour window. First off is roll-over minutes. That's pretty huge and goes a long ways in making sure you don't go over in future months.

Also, all calls to other AT&T cell phones don't count against minutes. Might have to check with your friends on this one. A lot of people I talk to regularly are on AT&T. Helps keep the mins down as well.

-Jeff