I think I just got hacked, and I don't know how

fury

Evangelist
Gold
Oct 23, 2007
Louisville, KY
Yep, that is the guy that bought or traded the name from the hacker.

Here is the latest word from Twitter support.

dino, Aug 20 04:09 am (PDT):
Hello,

Glad to hear you're back into your account now! Once a username is freed up (for example, through a username change) that name becomes available for new or existing accounts to claim.

I reviewed the account currently at the username fury , and this account appears to be a legitimate account that claimed the username in the normal process of creating their Twitter account.

We don't reclaim usernames from active accounts that aren't in voilation of our rules or Terms of Service. I'm really sorry, but that username is not currently available to return to your account. Please let me know if I can answer any other questions.

Thanks,

dino
So, it looks like it's perfectly within Twitter's rules to hack people's accounts, take their names, and then sell them on the black market for the luls.

jmp316

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 10, 2008
That is messed up on Twitter's part not to investigate the history on the account. Clearly they would see that the email address associated on the account has changed multiple times recently.

Sharunda

Genius
Gold
Jun 16, 2008
One Horse Town, New Jersey
WOW! This sucks! Sorry this happened to you.

If we were paying for the Twitter service I guess it would be different. They would take the time to investigte and to discourage hackers who steal user names just because they want them.

fury

Evangelist
Gold
Oct 23, 2007
Louisville, KY
The thing is, we are all paying for the Twitter service, because Twitter displays ads, sells our information, constantly strives for ways to monetize on us, etc.

Sharunda

Genius
Gold
Jun 16, 2008
The thing is, we are all paying for the Twitter service, because Twitter displays ads, sells our information, constantly strives for ways to monetize on us, etc.
Ah, yes that crap! I forgot. O_o They should do everything they can to prevent this type of thievery. No one (individuals) really "needs" Twitter. We can just walk. I wish people weren't so scummy!:(

Sharunda

Genius
Gold
Jun 16, 2008
@fury I'M DOING A HAPPY DANCE FOR YOU RIGHT NOW! :D:ROFLMAO: Well, I'm @work so I'm actually bouncing around in my seat, but that's almost the same thing!

THIS IS AWESOME NEWS! They took another look at the situation and gave it back to you. Awesome!

Congrats Fury! (y)

Reactions: fury

fury

Evangelist
Gold
Oct 23, 2007
Louisville, KY
I don't know who to thank....is it dino who had a change of heart? Is it someone else at Twitter to whom I got through? Either way, I'd like to send them a cookie. But the post office might not like that

Kobel1up

Contributor
Bronze
Mar 14, 2012
Eastern Ohio
Just got done reading this short book. Lol. I was happy to hear you had a fairy tale ending. I have thought lots about how to protect my usernames, then I realized no one wants them. It does make me think of closing twitter and Facebook all together. It seems as though that's where hackers hangout.
Again glad you got your name back.

Reactions: fury

fury

Evangelist
Gold
Oct 23, 2007
Louisville, KY
Just got done reading this short book. Lol. I was happy to hear you had a fairy tale ending. I have thought lots about how to protect my usernames, then I realized no one wants them. It does make me think of closing twitter and Facebook all together. It seems as though that's where hackers hangout.
Again glad you got your name back.
Yeah, I know...having such a short name on Twitter is basically asking for trouble. I'm kinda surprised it took this long for someone to come after it.

I spoke some more to the guy who hacked me, as well as one who was involved with Mat Honan's hack, and got some additional advice on keeping my Gmail secured. Two-factor isn't quite enough, you have to also remove alternate email addresses. Then, Gmail recovery is only possible by having both your security question and your phone verification code, it can't be recovered by breaking into an alternate email address.

Yahoo might have a possible vulnerability in that, apparently, the support agents have the authority to skip or remove the phone verification code if you know the zip code and date of birth. If that is true, then I need to start getting rid of Yahoo.

I still have so much to learn about security. I hope I'm not jacked again in the process of learning. That'd just be nuts :p