I think i locked/bricked my iPhone :(

ich0pz

Bronze
Nov 22, 2007
I just bought a iPhone from my buddy, wasn't unlocked nor jailbroken, and i wanted to do that, so i could use it with my service provider.

specs- 8 gig 3g.
came with the 2.2.1 firmware.

So heres what happened, i was reading and saw that 2.2.1 doesn't allow unlocking? so i tried to downgrade the firmware to 2.2 but then got an error half way through. making my iPhone go into recovery mode.

I did the "restore and update" from iTunes... and Now. when i go to turn on the phone.. it Hits me a "insert a valid sim with no Pin Lock to activate iPhone" :mad: it will only let me make 911 calls. :((

im so scared that i just spent money on bricking my phone :(

If anyone would be so kind to walk me through unlocking and jailbreaking. i'd be very very appricitive!

Please help :(

14u2nv

Bronze
Dec 7, 2008
Are you using the sim that came with it, or the one you are trying to unlock the phone to use?

ich0pz

Bronze
Nov 22, 2007
Are you using the sim that came with it, or the one you are trying to unlock the phone to use?
no sim card is in.. and no sim when i bought it. but it didn't have this problem. it just said there was no sim.

i haven't popped the one in that i wanna use when its unlocked yet.

14u2nv

Bronze
Dec 7, 2008
Well from what I read, it needs to be reactivated, which means it needs an original sim. Then, you can unlock it and use another. When you pull the Sim out of an activated phone, it still has settings and whatnot, but by doing a restore on it, you wiped it all out. Right now, it's just like you buy a new phone, won't do anything until it has established connection. I'm no expert, but that's what I see going on. Try putting your friends sim back in, let it connect, then go from there.

ich0pz

Bronze
Nov 22, 2007
Well from what I read, it needs to be reactivated, which means it needs an original sim. Then, you can unlock it and use another. When you pull the Sim out of an activated phone, it still has settings and whatnot, but by doing a restore on it, you wiped it all out. Right now, it's just like you buy a new phone, won't do anything until it has established connection. I'm no expert, but that's what I see going on. Try putting your friends sim back in, let it connect, then go from there.

alright cool. thats what another person told me.. just wasn't quite sure.

Also. since the last Firmware i had was 2.2.1, does that even matter? like.. did the baseband clear too? I don't want 2.2.1 cause its not "unlockable" yet so am i set from here?

Bizzaro

Feb 5, 2009
so did it work did you save the phone? :p

Neo-Tech

Bronze
Oct 24, 2008
If it came with 2.2.1, there's no way to downgrade the baseband yet, so I'm afraid your pretty much stuck until the Dev-Team find a solution.

ich0pz

Bronze
Nov 22, 2007
unfortunately, Like neo said, the baseband can't be downgraded, yet.

..i did manage to find a phone still running the 2.2 firmware :)

charlesOT

Feb 3, 2009
Until the dev team sorts this out you can get an working sim adapter
It works with the new firmware 2.2.1 so you can use it if nothing else helps.