I think I'm done.

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Status
Not open for further replies.
May 12, 2007
Everything in me is screaming WARNING when it comes to purchasing this iPhone.
Here we are a little over 2 weeks away from release and we still don't really know anything that we really need to know about this phone.
The only new thing we have learned since the introduction of this phone is the day we can buy it. Doesn't this concern anyone?
Nobody knows for sure what the data plans are going to be, nobody knows for sure what the price will be, even some of the features remain a mystery.
As a smart consumer, or just as someone about to make a major purchase of $600.00 it wouldn't be smart to blindly purchase something this expensive.
Making the consumer wait right up until the moment you walk up to the register to find out about your purchase is just disrespectful.
If I'm wrong, I'll be back here to eat some crow, but I don't think so.

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
Everything in me is screaming WARNING when it comes to purchasing this iPhone.
Here we are a little over 2 weeks away from release and we still don't really know anything that we really need to know about this phone.
The only new thing we have learned since the introduction of this phone is the day we can buy it. Doesn't this concern anyone?
Nobody knows for sure what the data plans are going to be, nobody knows for sure what the price will be, even some of the features remain a mystery.
As a smart consumer, or just as someone about to make a major purchase of $600.00 it wouldn't be smart to blindly purchase something this expensive.
Making the consumer wait right up until the moment you walk up to the register to find out about your purchase is just disrespectful.
If I'm wrong, I'll be back here to eat some crow, but I don't think so.
I have to disagree. I think we know plenty about the iPhone. First off, it's an iPod, albeit only an 8GB iPod. If you look at the iPod portion, we've got a number of enhancements.
  • Coverflow
  • Widescreen
  • Larger screen
Next, it offers smartphone capabilities:
  • Able to sync contacts, calendars and music to your iPhone
  • Full POP email support
  • The "Real" Internet
Now, let's sprinkle a few new features that by all counts not many people have used. That doesn't diminish the excitement after seeing the demos:
  • Multitouch technology
  • Revloutionary phone interface
  • World class design

I also believe Apple is working hard to develop "Web widgets" to make for a more rich mobile web experience.

The possible pitfalls:
  • Will the keyboard rival QWERTY keyboards
  • Lack of 3G

All in all, I think it is worthy of the price. I also believe in Steve Jobs. This is Apple's next big thing and it's critical to their continued success. It hasn't been rushed and I believe he's making sure this thing delivers.

That's my 2 cents.

-Chris

DaveNYC

May 15, 2007
You've got a good point, but it's a good bet that before the 29th, we will be fully aware of all the features and price plans. I'm assuming we will be able to play with the store display that I'm hoping will be set up between now and then.

May 12, 2007
My point is that we knew all the things you brought up when the phone was introduced.
The only new thing that we know for sure is the Jan 29th date of release.
It doesn't concern you that AT&T or Apple is making you wait till the very last second to tell you whether or not you will need a data plan and how much it will be?
What about camping out all night for it and being told that you are not eligible to buy the phone for whatever reason. Not saying this will be the case, but we don't know for sure. Every AT&T stoer I've been to is giving me a different answere.
As far as features, my main concern is the iPhone having AD2P because I am planning to purchase Bluetooth stereo headphones. There are a few other feature concerns but that is my main one.

May 12, 2007
You've got a good point, but it's a good bet that before the 29th, we will be fully aware of all the features and price plans. I'm assuming we will be able to play with the store display that I'm hoping will be set up between now and then.
If AT&T is smart, they will keep that display phone behind bullet proof glass.
I've seen the way some people let children play with the display phones and drool all over them.

Spin This!

Silver
May 4, 2007
All in all, I think it is worthy of the price. I also believe in Steve Jobs.
I have to agree here. The iPod and phone capabilities in one device sold it for me (since I was already in the market for a new phone). The web browser/wi-fi combination was the icing on the cake. Apple's stamp of elegance certainly will make it worthwhile.

I'm a little worried about rumors flying around about data plans but I have a feeling all the current options will stay in place or we'll get even better options. The $499 and $599 price points will stay. They certainly can't be that arrogant and getting 10 million people to sign up, unless those 10 million are (rich) idiots or zea lots. (10 million is 1/5 of AT&T's current subscriber base.) And the zea lot thing seems to be non-issue... if that were the case, more than 50% of Macworld's subscribers would be getting the phone...

brinox

Bronze
Apr 30, 2007
you know, you don't have to buy the iPhone right when it comes out... i personally think the iPhone is going to rock my socks off (among other things, err). but simply because we as outside straight-up consumers don't know ALL of the facts of the device shouldnt affect your judgment on the thing. thats just how i think and feel though - could be just me.

there is a lot more at work here than just the release of a revolutionary knew product/type of product. ive spoken about stocks and whatnot here once before, in a previous post. you are going to find that a LOT with situations like these.

Steve and his financial advisors are trying to keep the tight lip on this partly because there are certain features we STILL don't know about, and when they become known the plan will hopefully put more rise in the stock price of Apple.

just my $.02

May 12, 2007
you know, you don't have to buy the iPhone right when it comes out...

You are right. I think I will take that approach.
I am just as exited about this phone as anyone else here, but I'm also rational.
When someone keeps tight lipped about something it's because they have something to hide.
I guess I'll wait until I read or hear a few consumer reports on this thing before I rush out and buy it.

Lips2000

Bronze
Jun 4, 2007
Houston, TX
If AT&T is smart, they will keep that display phone behind bullet proof glass.
I've seen the way some people let children play with the display phones and drool all over them.
Sorry if I offend but...

Who says you have to buy it the day it comes out? Wait a bit, check it out in the store, play with your friend's iPhone and then decide for yourself.

Who knows, by the time you rationalize the purchase for yourself, it may have dropped in price and you can afford it.

As for me, I decided in January that is was the next phone for me...but that's just me. ;)

Mark

brianhyp

Bronze
Jun 6, 2007
I have to disagree. I think we know plenty about the iPhone. First off, it's an iPod, albeit only an 8GB iPod. If you look at the iPod portion, we've got a number of enhancements.

That's my 2 cents.

-Chris
I agree chris. Apple is going to make sure this is going to be a success. If this phone is not the best phone on the market and ahead of its time it will fail and they know this. I know Apple is not going to let that happen.
Im looking forward to the iPhone.
brian

May 31, 2007
I can understand a bit of trepidation...I want that thing so F'ing bad I can't stand it.

I don't think Apple is gonna release anything that has the potential to flop...they're way to safe and smart for that. Sure the battery may blow up or something but they've replaced all of those and generally make good on any problems.

Go for it...or wait a minute...maybe you're on to something... No one should get one to ensure there's one left for me. HA!

May 12, 2007
Sorry if I offend but...

Who knows, by the time you rationalize the purchase for yourself, it may have dropped in price and you can afford it.

If I couldn't afford the phone I wouldn't even think about buying it.
There is a difference between being able to afford something and just throwing your money away.
I am the type of person who likes to know all the facts before I make a purchase.

hmlaa

Bronze
Jun 10, 2007
I can understand a bit of trepidation...I want that thing so F'ing bad I can't stand it.

I don't think Apple is gonna release anything that has the potential to flop...they're way to safe and smart for that. Sure the battery may blow up or something but they've replaced all of those and generally make good on any problems.

Go for it...or wait a minute...maybe you're on to something... No one should get one to ensure there's one left for me. HA!
i have to agree with you! HOPEFULLY AS WE GET CLOSER AND CLOSER we will find out more and more about the release...i don't think Apple will release anymore tech specs though...

Saiko

Bronze
Jun 3, 2007
i have to agree with you! HOPEFULLY AS WE GET CLOSER AND CLOSER we will find out more and more about the release...i don't think Apple will release anymore tech specs though...
Most of us are fine with the current tech specs - its the pricing, availability, and activation information that we NEED to know now. I'm sure we'll know more from them as we get closer to the 29th... Not to do so would be a very bad decision.

hmlaa

Bronze
Jun 10, 2007
Most of us are fine with the current tech specs - its the pricing, availability, and activation information that we NEED to know now. I'm sure we'll know more from them as we get closer to the 29th... Not to do so would be a very bad decision.
yeah and Apple has gotta be smarter than that

jtlax3

Bronze
May 31, 2007
I agree with most of you. I really think that they will release more information in a week to a week and a half. Probably by the 22nd.

ebrunn

Silver
Feb 6, 2007
Minneapolis
This isn't Apple's problem, its AT&T's. Apple is not going to make announcements like that, AT&T has to. So direct all your hate and rage towards them.

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
This isn't Apple's problem, its AT&T's. Apple is not going to make announcements like that, AT&T has to. So direct all your hate and rage towards them.
Good point. Apple sells the phone, but At&t sells the plan. We know when we can get the phone and how much it will cost. What we don't know, is how much it will cost to use it.:confused:

That sounds like At&t's fault to me.

Jun 5, 2007
  • Coverflow
  • Widescreen
  • Larger screen
Next, it offers smartphone capabilities:
  • Able to sync contacts, calendars and music to your iPhone
  • Full POP email support
  • The "Real" Internet
Now, let's sprinkle a few new features that by all counts not many people have used. That doesn't diminish the excitement after seeing the demos:
  • Multitouch technology
  • Revloutionary phone interface
  • World class design

I also believe Apple is working hard to develop "Web widgets" to make for a more rich mobile web experience.

The possible pitfalls:
  • Will the keyboard rival QWERTY keyboards
  • Lack of 3G

All in all, I think it is worthy of the price. I also believe in Steve Jobs. This is Apple's next big thing and it's critical to their continued success. It hasn't been rushed and I believe he's making sure this thing delivers.

That's my 2 cents.

-Chris
yet you posted nothing about AT&T's announcments, or lack of them...

ebrunn

Silver
Feb 6, 2007
Minneapolis
Good point. Apple sells the phone, but At&t sells the plan. We know when we can get the phone and how much it will cost. What we don't know, is how much it will cost to use it.:confused:

That sounds like At&t's fault to me.
Yeah, Apple has held up their end of the deal. The ball is in Att's court now.

Status
Not open for further replies.