I think I'm ready...

Discussion in 'iPhone 5' started by ivantwilliams, Oct 6, 2012.

1. ivantwilliams

ivantwilliams Evangelist
    Gold

Do Apple and AT&T finally have stock of the iPhone 5, where I can just walk in and buy one?

I think it is time I upgrade one of my lines to the iPhone 5.

2. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Apple is currently showing a wait time of "Available to ship: 3-4 weeks", while AT&T's wait time is "Your iPhone 5 16GB will be shipped in 14-21 businesss days".

However, check out this article:

http://www.technobuffalo.com/technobuffalo/advice/how-to-get-an-iphone-5-without-waiting-3-4-weeks/

Good luck!

3. ivantwilliams

ivantwilliams Evangelist
    Gold

I remember Apple doing this a few years ago. Thanks...

4. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I've heard that a few of them do have stock, although it's usually just 64 GB models. As far as ordering in the store or online, the 64s are shipping the fastest. They sometimes go out just a day or two after placing the order (AT&T will still quote 14-21 businesss days). The 32s are next. My 32 was shipped 7 businesss days after I ordered it, even though the order said it would ship in 21-28 days. Expect to wait the longest if you order a 16.

5. raqball

raqball Evangelist
    Gold

You can also call a few different AT&T / Apple stores and ask when they are getting in the next shipment.. If they say Monday at 2 then get there at 1 and hang out playing with the display model until they arrive..

Most stores will know when they are getting more in, the trick if getting a store rep who knows because some may just spew out a date and time to end the call..

Worth a try though! Good luck and I hope you land one quickly! :)

6. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I asked at a few stores and none of them knew when they would be getting shipments in. They just said they could take my name and call if they got any. That's why I just went ahead and ordered one.

7. rambo47

rambo47 Contributor
    Silver

My local AT&T store out here in the wilds of northern NJ has some in stock for walk-ins. They've been doing a brisk businesss since the launch. New supply arrives every couple of days along with any pre-orders.

8. aggieman

aggieman Zealot
    Gold

Hmmmmmmmmm :) you sir are as bad as me

9. ivantwilliams

ivantwilliams Evangelist
    Gold

Now I'm thinking to wait a bit longer. My iPhone 4S works just fine. Maybe I should sell this one first ;)

10. aggieman

aggieman Zealot
    Gold

Where's the GS3?

11. ivantwilliams

ivantwilliams Evangelist
    Gold

Right here, with my SIM card in it. I'm currently messing with my iPhone 4S via WIFI. it's not like I NEED an iPhone 5. I've just got gadget issues :)

Sent from my iPad using iCafe app

12. Target

Target Evangelist
    Gold

Here's the odd thing...today we went to the AT&T store to order my daughter a white 32. I called 5-min after opening, they had none. We go in at 2p and ask, again none, so we ordered. Get everything all signed.

Guy walks in says, "I bought this phone this morning and there's a problem." It's a white 32. I asked the clerk how he got his today when I called right after opening and there were none. She said that they got some in and he was there. First come first served. I understand that. So I asked if they had more coming in. She told me we get a few every day but they don't know how many, the size or color.

So I asked what you would. If a white 32 comes in can we get it and not wait the 14-21 days. She said No! Ours was on order. I asked what happen to first come first served. She shared that they were instructed to tell everyone they're out unless they have them in hand. I told her she's missing the point and she said she wasn't. They sell more by getting people to order now instead if waiting every day.

In total amazement, I stated again she'd missed the point that alienating customers that just spent over $300 by sharing an unfair practice isn't smart businesss. She disagreed saying she has sold the most iPhone 5s and was happy with the procedure. Poor clueless company girl.

I may just move to Vz over this.

Target

Sent from my iPhone 4 using iCafe app

13. ivantwilliams

ivantwilliams Evangelist
    Gold

Target, it is not worth the hassle and cost to move to Verizon over that. Seriously...

Just wait now, you'll have it soon enough. Plus no voice & data at the same time on Verizon, no?

Sent from my iPhone using iCafe app

14. jmp316

jmp316 Evangelist
    Gold

All AT&T stores have this same attitude. I eventually got my 5 on iDay, but I called my local AT&T store the week before to ask if I could reserve one just in case if didn't come or got back ordered. Woman emphatically said no and wondered why I would ask such a question.

They simply don't get the first come first served philosophy. Their practices seem to be "walk into a store and hope they have one". Plain and simple, this sucks. I would have moved to Verizon too if it weren't for talk and surf (which I use all the time).

15. djwindsor

djwindsor Contributor
    Silver

If you really want one go on the Apple website at 10PM local time and try to order for in store pickup (assuming you live near an Apple store). I live in the NYC metro area and there are 15 stores or so that I can drive to. My friend ordered one but has to go to NJ (45 min drive) to pick it up.

16. aggieman

aggieman Zealot
    Gold

Trust me my friend I understand that. I really love this iPhone 5. But I'm already looking forward to the lumia 920 and HTC One X+. Sold my GS3 to contribute to my geek fund for those.

17. ivantwilliams

ivantwilliams Evangelist
    Gold

With this latest news about a purple tint of sorts on camera images, I guess it would be wise for me to wait, no?

18. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

The purple haze effect is a non-issue. You'll need an SLR camera if you want to properly filter light on photos of the sun.

19. ivantwilliams

ivantwilliams Evangelist
    Gold

See, it pays to research. I thought it was a hardware issue with iPhone 5.

Thanks!

20. jmp316

jmp316 Evangelist
    Gold

It appears the "purple-gate" is only on some phones. I point mine at lights and the sun and have never gotten purple in my pictures...