I think my email is possessed!

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

SuzanneT

Aug 7, 2007
I have three email accounts set up on my iPhone. My work email, my home email, and a Gmail account. The last few days when I came into work, I looked at my computer and all of the email I had received that morning showed up as already read. Hmmmmm. . . has someone been in my office reading my email? Then it occurred to me that it might be my new iPhone! I asked the IT guy at work and he said yes, that's what it was and it was because the iPhone uses the IMAP protocol. My Treo never did this, but then again, my Treo took 45 minutes to 'get' my mail! This is a trade off I can live with, but since I get well over 100 emails a day (granted, most of them are admirers wanting to send me greeting cards), I'm afraid that I'll miss an important email. Is there any way around this?

johnqpr

Aug 13, 2007
What isn't clear is whether you're accounts (other than Gmail) are POP or IMAP. If they are IMAP and you looked at them at home or on your iPhone then they SHOULD show up as read at work unless you specifically mark each one you look at as 'unread'. If you didn't actually open up your iPhone and look at the individual emails that are marked as 'read' then I can't imagine how that could happen through your iPhone usage. Unfortunately most users have a problem with the iPhone the other way around: they want to be able to mark all emails as read rather than having to go through them one at a time. Please elaborate on your set up if you need more input.

John

SuzanneT

Aug 7, 2007
Thanks John, for trying to help. I know that my second email account is a POP account, that one is my home email, and I asked our IT guy at work about my work email and here is his response "Since I have both protocols enabled, it could be either ... not sure how I ultimately set it up. The way Exchange behaves with the cached headers, however, it will probably behave like an IMAP account either way." We're a small company, and I'm the only one with an iPhone, so this was something new for him as well."

Any suggestions?
Sue