i think my iPhone 3G has caught a virus

odun

Jul 21, 2009
i am currently using wireless internet to browse on my iPhone but all of a sudden the phone screen goes off, and i cant see anything on the screen but when a call is made to my number it rings but i cant see anything on my phone.

what do i do?

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Hard reboot it: hold the home and lock buttons together for about 10 seconds until it shuts off AND reboots to the Apple logo. At that point, you can release both buttons. If the problems persist beyond that, you may have a hardware issue. Try a restore at that point, and then a trip to the Apple store.

I can say, with near 100% confidence, that you do not have a virus.

I

iPhoneGenius

Yeah, the guy above pretty much explained everything. If the hard reset and restore doesn't work, you might want to contact Apple support.

odun

Jul 21, 2009
its working again,thanks u guys, but what happened in the first place?

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
May have seen a simple error within the phone. Things happen like this from time to time.

so did you restore or simply hard-reset?

odun

Jul 21, 2009
i restored, whats the best protection for my iPhone from viruses and stuff

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
The iPhone OS has no known viruses. No precautions are necessary.

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
i restored, whats the best protection for my iPhone from viruses and stuff

I think you will find that the iPhone is quite secure already. There is very little doubt of something runining your phone- apart from yourself lol.

Jun 12, 2009
random articulations of codes inward of iPhone OS, coadjute to contrive astonishing actions

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
The closest thing the iPhone's ever had to a virus was an Installer app back in 2007 that, when launched, displayed the word "shoes" and then crashed. When you uninstalled it, it removed several important files from /bin, which didn't do anything truly malicious, you just had to restore.

So for now, no protecting against rogue software or anything of the sort is necessary, nor does it really exist.

Jul 22, 2009
doesn't Apple have to approve all apps that go out to phones... so wouldn't that in turn make it so you can't get a virus.

Hellweek

Jul 23, 2009
doesn't Apple have to approve all apps that go out to phones... so wouldn't that in turn make it so you can't get a virus.
If you Jailbreak your phone you can install apps that are not Apple Approved.

Aug 11, 2010
If there is some virus problem in iPhone then first of all you can scan with latest genuine mobile anti virus and then you can check that iPhone working perfectly or not. If then problem has been not solve then you can format iPhone perfectly.

leeann

Bronze
Aug 12, 2010
New Zealand
iphonenewbie.com
If your iPhone has been jailbroken it can get a virus, in fact the first known iPhone virus/trojan was the Rick Astley one which affected iPhones that had been jailbroken where the root password had not been changed.