I took my iPhone back because calls have too much static.

Jun 30, 2007
I like in the philadelphia area and bought the 8g iPhone yesterday.. i was really into it. Loved the interface and everything about it. So i got home and switched from Sprint to Cingular to use it... everything seemed to go well.

BUT THEN!

People sound kind of clear to me.. not as clear as sprint.. but workable. Problem is.. everyone i talk to says i sound like i have static around me.. like theres wind around me etc. I tried calling a few people from a few locations.. my house, my dads house, my car, etc. People say i sound good then a bit of static.. good then faded a bit. The service is just not as solid as sprint. With sprint i always had full bars.. maybe 1 missing sometimes.. but 90 percent of the time i have full bars inside the house outside etc... but with Cingular i look at my iPhone and for no reason it dropps to 2 bars.. 1 bar etc when i move from my computer to couch to bathroom etc.

Sadly.. i had to take it back to cingular and pay 70 bucks for my 1 day of using it. I really really wanted this phone.. i just wish Apple would have used more than 1 carrier so we can get the best service where we all live.

Man im totally bummed about this. Back to my treo. I sort of blame this on cingulars service because i haven't read much about the iPhone being weak or having static in general.

thegasguru

Bronze
Jun 27, 2007
I think you just got a bad unit. I've had no trouble with static, although I wish the volume for phone calls was louder.

For a $70 restocking fee, I would have at least tried to exchange it for another unit before I gave up altogether...

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
I like in the philadelphia area and bought the 8g iPhone yesterday.. i was really into it. Loved the interface and everything about it. So i got home and switched from Sprint to Cingular to use it... everything seemed to go well.

BUT THEN!

People sound kind of clear to me.. not as clear as sprint.. but workable. Problem is.. everyone i talk to says i sound like i have static around me.. like theres wind around me etc. I tried calling a few people from a few locations.. my house, my dads house, my car, etc. People say i sound good then a bit of static.. good then faded a bit. The service is just not as solid as sprint. With sprint i always had full bars.. maybe 1 missing sometimes.. but 90 percent of the time i have full bars inside the house outside etc... but with Cingular i look at my iPhone and for no reason it dropps to 2 bars.. 1 bar etc when i move from my computer to couch to bathroom etc.

Sadly.. i had to take it back to cingular and pay 70 bucks for my 1 day of using it. I really really wanted this phone.. i just wish Apple would have used more than 1 carrier so we can get the best service where we all live.

Man im totally bummed about this. Back to my treo. I sort of blame this on cingulars service because i haven't read much about the iPhone being weak or having static in general.
Sorry to hear that. No problems to report here with static.

If you're back to the Treo, then I'd suggest you go here.;)

-Chris

awesker3

Bronze
Jun 10, 2007
I think you just got a bad unit. I've had no trouble with static, although I wish the volume for phone calls was louder.

For a $70 restocking fee, I would have at least tried to exchange it for another unit before I gave up altogether...

Yeah I agree. Would have went with an exchange. The iPhone is truly unbeatable (although mine isn't activated yet!)

Jun 30, 2007
nobody else had problems with bars going from 4 to 1 etc when inside a house?

ebrunn

Silver
Feb 6, 2007
Minneapolis
Instead of asking for a new one for free you got return it for a fee? Weird.

MomPOM

Bronze
Jun 20, 2007
NW Burbs of Chicago
I haven't had any static problems either. Nor any problems with volume. I thought the volume was plenty loud on calls, both on the phone and with the earbuds. Maybe you guys have blown your ears out with all the iPod use. ;)

art

Bronze
Jun 29, 2007
I notice it's just not quite as clear as some of my other phones (I have three lines with AT&T) however it's not that bad, considering that it's Apples first phone. The next one will be better and in the mean time this one is ok.
I'm happy with my iPhone. Here are my first impressions.

Last edited by a moderator:

Twinnie

Bronze
Jun 13, 2007
Personally I think Apple's decision to have network exclusivity is pretty indefensible. I can't think of any other reason for them to do it other than to make more money, just like how they only let licensed 3rd party software on it. I reckon that the iPhone was just too much of a gamble for some investors and they insisted that these things went through. Hopefully they get rid if the licensed 3rd party thing if it's enough of a success, and ditch the network exclusivity in other continents.

I wish they hadn't patented the Visual Voicemail, why on earth would network operators implement the necessary technology if it's only for the sake of one phone?

Austinsdc

Bronze
Jun 2, 2007
No problems here, calls sound good so far. You should have asked for an exchange. I think you got a bad one as well.

Jun 30, 2007
Damn i wish i could tell if it was cingular bad coverage or a defective ipod.

Everyone else isn't getting the 1 or 2 bars of service at different locations?