Votes: 22 22.9%
  • No, I need the precision. For real.

Votes: 74 77.1%

• Total voters

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
That thing is making me OCD. Not healthy. I'm gonna try without for a few days and see if my battery life improves. I'll bet it does!

Adam1389

Silver
Nov 20, 2008
Ilwaco, WA
I turned my off, but due to a previous jailbreak of my OLD OLD iPhone, it stays on...Can't wait to hear the results

iphun

Zealot
Gold
Mar 16, 2009
PA
I'm leaving it on. Just the fact that the feature is there makes me want to leave it on. If I shut it off it would only last at most an hour. But I bet battery life isn't that bad it's just us sitting there looking at a number that makes us crazy.

seanwes

Zealot
Gold
Feb 13, 2008
San Antonio, TX
That thing is making me OCD. Not healthy. I'm gonna try without for a few days and see if my battery life improves. I'll bet it does!
Sorry, I love that precision. I'm used to it from my jailbreak, so I really don't stare at it. I look at it when I need it, and I find it useful. :)

ps
I doubt you'll see increased battery life...

I imagine that it's just code that says for 80-89 show x image, for 70-79 show y image. Having the numbers actually display wouldn't be using battery, it would just be showing a number that is already stored as a variable in the code that determines what image to show anyway. That's my theory.

Ramesh

Zealot
Gold
Jul 12, 2007
Irvine, Ca.
knowing the % for me helps. Otherwise I premature think my phone is dying. I'll take my phone to sub 10 %'s.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Just a warning: Either 3.0 or the 3GS allows you to deplete the battery more than before. It used to cut off before it reached 5%, but now I've seen it get to 2% on a couple times. And when that happens, it shuts off, and you have to charge it for a few minutes before you can power it up again. I'm not sure which method I prefer... but it's something to be aware of.

Crap, I guess I just negated the point of this thread.

Ramesh

Zealot
Gold
Jul 12, 2007
Irvine, Ca.
Just a warning: Either 3.0 or the 3GS allows you to deplete the battery more than before. It used to cut off before it reached 5%, but now I've seen it get to 2% on a couple times. And when that happens, it shuts off, and you have to charge it for a few minutes before you can power it up again. I'm not sure which method I prefer... but it's something to be aware of.

Crap, I guess I just negated the point of this thread.
Not true. I have screen shots (hopefully still in iPhoto) of my previous firmwares down to 2%. I'll have to dig - they were from last November when I was JB'd.

lild7hina

Bronze
Oct 28, 2007
i've seen 1-2% on my phone before.... and that was right before i plugged it in the charger

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
i never turned my % indicator on. i don't see the point.

1) it looks retarded

2) what's wrong with the +/- ~10% accuracy with the graphical meter?

3) when you're getting really low, your phone gives you warnings at 20% and 10% anyway.

styfle

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
i never turned my % indicator on. i don't see the point.

1) it looks retarded

2) what's wrong with the +/- ~10% accuracy with the graphical meter?

3) when you're getting really low, your phone gives you warnings at 20% and 10% anyway.
Its 10x more accurate.

And I have to agree that displaying the percent in no way lowers the battery life lol.

iksn

Silver
Aug 7, 2008
Near Las Vegas
I'm not calling anybody a liar or anything else. On my first two "total discharges", I watched my meter show 1% before the phone shut off. Saw it with my own two eyeballs.

gadgetgal

Bronze
Jun 17, 2007
LOL: I am almost right down the middle on this one myself. I got used to no formal percentage reading, even having come from Treos and such where I always could see the percentage. But I don't know, I do still like having a good idea of how much power I have. I could see being OCD and always looking at the number, but I'm managing not to do that. (and usually, that's just what I'd be doing). I will probably just keep it turned on.

bikerboy

Bronze
Jun 20, 2009
Ohio, USA
does keeping your phone on charge all the tim even if it's on 100% damage teh battery ?