I turned Yahoo "off", battery life doubled!

itsabouttime

Silver
Feb 18, 2007
San Antonio, Tx.
Iv'e been so disappointed with Yahoo's "push" mail that I decided to use my Gmail exclusively. I have all my yahoo mail forwarded to my Gmail account and my iPhone checks it every 15 min which is WAY more reliable than when I was using the push mail. Since no mail actually remains in my yahoo mailbox on the server, I decided to turn off Yahoo mail on my iPhone and to my surprise my battery is now lasting twice as long!
I started this three days ago and my battery is still approx. 75% full.
Has anyone else tried this with similar results?

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
I used to check mine every 15 minutes. No I do it manually and battery life is a ton better.

thesaint

Bronze
Jul 9, 2007
DFW
dang I had not thought about this at all. Let me turn it off and will update you on this.

smitty24

Bronze
Nov 13, 2007
Lakeland, FL
i have it check every hour, and i get 2-3 days with heavy texting and medium iPod use...

with push on it would constantly be connecting to the 'internet' for new mail, and without the constant connecting, battery life should go up

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
yes every hour seems to work well for me. Enough to not tick anyone off too much (some people expect instantanious responses) yet not enough to noticibly drain the battery. I only use IMAP Gmail on my iPhone (Gmail.com is set to check my other mail accounts).

--
Mike

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
how do u change it to just check every hour... because its really sucking up my battery... lemme know thanks
Just go to Settings-->Mail-->Auto-Check.

Not sure if this effects Yahoo push email, though (not that Yahoo push ever worked reliably for me anyway).

--
Mike

jjvaldez

Gold
Jul 3, 2007
Salinas, Ca
might just be my phone but i have yahoo on and i get good battery life... that is just me .. anyone else get ok battery life with the yahoo mail on?

itsabouttime

Silver
Feb 18, 2007
San Antonio, Tx.
I've noticed under advanced settings you can also turn off the push mail feature for Yahoo mail.
So, does this make it act like Gmail where it checks mail at a preset time?

scandalex

Silver
Sep 16, 2007
yes every hour seems to work well for me. Enough to not tick anyone off too much (some people expect instantanious responses) yet not enough to noticibly drain the battery. I only use IMAP Gmail on my iPhone (Gmail.com is set to check my other mail accounts).
--
Mike
Funny you should say this. I manually check my mail. I didn't want anything happening in the background that would bring my battery to a quick drain. I think every hour is good enough. People do expect that their emails are answered almost as soon as they are rec'd; but no email is that important to me.

I have turned Yahoo off as well since its not my primary email address and much of is it nonsense anyway.

Ramesh

Zealot
Gold
Jul 12, 2007
Irvine, Ca.
might just be my phone but i have yahoo on and i get good battery life... that is just me .. anyone else get ok battery life with the yahoo mail on?
I've had yahoo on my phone for about a week. Yahoo is my only push, but i have 3 other accounts. My battery life is pretty good. I get about 2.5 days.