I uninstalled every downloaded package and springboard is still crashing...

Discussion in 'iPhone Jailbreak' started by BarbIsBaked, Jan 29, 2012.

1. BarbIsBaked

BarbIsBaked New Member

I recently jailbroke my iPhone 3g ios 4.2.1 and it's been crashing ever since. I did have Winterboard at one point, along with several themes and tweaks. It started crashing, freezing, and taking forever to do anything I needed. Before I jailbroke the phone, Safari would crash a lot and simple things like pulling up my text conversations would take AGES but it was nothing compared to the problems I'm experiencing now. I'm no hacker and have only been following online tutorials so I have no idea how to fix this. I downloaded CrashReporter and the first time it crashed after I downloaded that, it showed me which tweak it thought was causing the problems. I deleted it and continued to experience problems. At that point, CrashReporter stopped showing me anything at all. I then tried trouble shooting, deleting things one at a time, every time still experiencing springboard crashing. I now have nothing but Cydia. No Winterboard, no themes, no tweaks, nothing. But it's STILL crashing. All the time. What can I do at this point? I read about resetting under settings and general. I also read about completely restoring my phone. I almost want to restore and go back to the way it was because this jailbreaking is really affecting how my phone functions and I'm going to end up destroying it in some horrible way if I can't figure this out. However, I really really love the tweaks and customization options of jailbreaking and I don't want to lose that. Is there anything I can do? :(

2. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

The easiest thing to do is, like you said, restore your phone to factory using iTunes and then using a backup to put everything back on your iPhone. As far as using tutorials online, I wouldn't trust some of those. Depending on which program you used to Jailbreak may have caused some complications. I would re-jailbreak using RedSn0w. Also make sure that each tweak and program you install using Cydia is compatible with your iPhone 3G iOS 4.2.1.

3. BarbIsBaked

BarbIsBaked New Member

Thanks for the response! I actually did use RedSn0w. I know tutorials can be misleading sometimes, that's why I really tried to research and understand as much as possible before I did anything to my phone. One thing I did not do, is make sure each tweak was compatible. I know you're supposed to do that, but on Cydia, when you're about to download a package, I couldn't find where it said which devices it was compatible with for every one. Maybe I wasn't looking hard enough and it was jumbled in with all the other information. Or maybe I was confused. I feel like sometimes it shortens 4.2.1 to just 4 or 4.2? And I just figured if it's larger than 4.2.1, it's a newer update and not compatible. And if it's smaller than 4.2.1, it's an earlier update and is compatible? I'm sorry if I'm asking something that's been asked a million times. I know people on forums get pissed about that stuff but I've searched and searched and can't find the answers to my questions so I greatly appreciate this help!

4. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

To be honest I do the same thing. If it says it's compatible with iOS 5, for me, usually that means iOS 5 and above.

I would do a full restore and then just use a backup in iTunes and then re-jailbreak.

5. BarbIsBaked

BarbIsBaked New Member

I'll get started on that now. Thanks again! :)

6. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

You're very welcome. Let us know in this thread if you have any other issues. RedSn0w is pretty self explanatory from the directions on the program, but if you don't do it correctly, it can mess the jailbreak up and it won't work properly.

7. BarbIsBaked

BarbIsBaked New Member

So, restoring has turned out to be a much bigger task than I thought. -_- I get an error message when restoring using iTunes. Before I jailbroke my iPhone 3g, I saved the SHSH using tinyumbrella (I read I was supposed to do that). I know that since it's an iPhone 3g, it has a "soft" SHSH but I'm not sure what that means exactly. I don't see the "make my life easier" button in cydia which I guess means my SHSH was all ready saved. Saving the SHSH was hard enough, considering I couldn't find it. I have windows, I had hidden folders showing, and did the whole user/app data/roaming/Apple computer/iTunes/iPhone software updates about a million times and never saw the SHSH file. BUT it is saved onto my tinyumbrella. I had a tech savvy co-worker help me out. I'm not sure how he did it, but on tinyumbrella it says iPhone 3g 4.1 (8b117) and iPhone 3g 4.2.1 (8c148) followed by a bunch of numbers under "All saved SHSHs." So good to go right? I thought so and found a tutorial on modmyi's website that said at this point, I open up iTunes and hold shift a hit restore. That brings up a window and I'm supposed to select which firmware to restore to but I can't find where it would be. It isn't under user/app data/etc. I don't know where to look now. I also read something on modmyi's tutorial that said, "Using tiny umbrella is mainly for iPhone 3GS/4, ipod touch 3G, and iPad since you do not need SHSH for previous devices (although there is a soft SHSH being done on iPhone 3G for 4.0 and up firmwares now but that can be easily avoided by using redsn0w then pwnage tool)." What the heck? :/

8. fijiman

fijiman Contributor
    Silver

You seem to be "making a mountain out of a mole hill";) ....there's no need to use tinyumbrella....Restore normally through iTunes ....and jailbreak using any jailbreak tool you like... IOS 4.2.1 is easily jailbroken with Greenpois0n,Sn0wbreeze, or Redsn0w..... try watching a few YouTube vids on the subject for visual guidance:) Good luck

9. Phil DeLong

Phil DeLong Member
    Bronze

If she wishes to keep using iOS 4 as opposed to 5, she actually can't do a normal restore. Since iOS 5 is available for the 3G that is what iTunes would restore it to, thereforee she would need to use a 3rd party and a saved SHSH to keep iOS 4.

10. fijiman

fijiman Contributor
    Silver

The highest firmware an iPhone 3G can install is IOS 4.2.1.....IOS5 does not support an iPhone3G...:)

11. Phil DeLong

Phil DeLong Member
    Bronze

I stand corrected, not really sure what I was thinking haha.