I want a Contacts tab in iTunes

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

burniksapwet

Silver
Jul 5, 2007
Would it make sense for us iPhone users to have a contacts tab in iTunes? I know that we could easily sync our contacts from various address books but I don’t like the way they’re set up. You can’t edit field properties and you are basically stuck with the standard home, mobile, etc etc etc. Outlook only has one mobile field which really sucks:mad:. I don’t label my phone numbers like that; I label it by the carrier they have. Steve: Cingular 1 (916) 555-7851, Bill: T-Mobile: 1 (916) 555-9111. It just makes sense for me to do it that way so that I know when I'm using my minutes. Don’t get me wrong, I don’t hang up on people when they’re talking to me using a different provider. I'm not like that, like I said I would just like to know. I would love to have that feature in iTunes where I could just type/customize all my contact information from there, or sync my outlook or any address book to iTunes and edit/customize it the way I want it from THERE and THEN sync it to my iPhone. Do you guys think this something that Apple might do in the near future?

TrippalHealicks

Gold
Mar 2, 2007
Would it make sense for us iPhone users to have a contacts tab in iTunes? I know that we could easily sync our contacts from various address books but I don’t like the way they’re set up. You can’t edit field properties and you are basically stuck with the standard home, mobile, etc etc etc. Outlook only has one mobile field which really sucks:mad:. I don’t label my phone numbers like that; I label it by the carrier they have. Steve: Cingular 1 (916) 555-7851, Bill: T-Mobile: 1 (916) 555-9111. It just makes sense for me to do it that way so that I know when I'm using my minutes. Don’t get me wrong, I don’t hang up on people when they’re talking to me using a different provider. I'm not like that, like I said I would just like to know. I would love to have that feature in iTunes where I could just type/customize all my contact information from there, or sync my outlook or any address book to iTunes and edit/customize it the way I want it from THERE and THEN sync it to my iPhone. Do you guys think this something that Apple might do in the near future?

I was thinking the same thing, last night.

TrippalHealicks

Gold
Mar 2, 2007
Good because I nobody has ever mentioned it yet in any threads. I'm glad that I'm not the only one thinking about this.
I think it makes perfect sense....add a complete contract list interface screen to iTunes....although, they might as well come out with that Mac Mail program for Windows, if they're gonna do that.

Lips2000

Bronze
Jun 4, 2007
Houston, TX
You can do what the original poster was looking for re: labels...it's easy!

1. While editing a contact, tap on the "Add new Phone" button

2. enter the phone number

3. Tap on "mobile" button and then scroll to the bottom of the list and tap "Add custom Label"

4. Enter your label ("Cingular", "Sprint", et.) and presto!

The nice thing is the label will now stay in the list so you can add it to other contacts as well.

Mark

burniksapwet

Silver
Jul 5, 2007
You can do what the original poster was looking for re: labels...it's easy!

1. While editing a contact, tap on the "Add new Phone" button

2. enter the phone number

3. Tap on "mobile" button and then scroll to the bottom of the list and tap "Add custom Label"

4. Enter your label ("Cingular", "Sprint", et.) and presto!

The nice thing is the label will now stay in the list so you can add it to other contacts as well.

Mark
I know that you can do that THROUGH your iPhone. That is what I've been doing. But what if you need to do a full reset on your phone? When you sync it to your address book it will put your numbers on random fields if the phone numbers in your iPhone are not the standard home, mobile etc field. Now once you do the reset and want to sync your contacts back again it'll be on the home, mobile, businesss field which is what I don't want. That is why I want one in iTunes so that when you need to do a master reset you can have all your contact information the way you want it to be when you sync it back to your iPhone:).

ATT*Mark

Bronze
Jul 7, 2007
iTunes already saves your contacts for the restore feature, wouldn't be too much harder to just add a tab in iTunes to be able to edit and manage them as well...

ATT*Mark

Bronze
Jul 7, 2007
that was something the Apple guys didn't know , yesterday when i had to exchange my iPhone i asked if they could sync contacts to my new iPhone , they told me no. so i was kinda bummed about that . but when i plugged the phone in and clicked restore it was like i never exchanged phones , awesome.

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
Why don't you just add Cing or T-Mo to the contact's name instead of the number. You'd still know whether you were hitting M2M or Anytime minutes when you answer a call or make a call from your contact list.

Standog

Bronze
Jun 26, 2007
I hate to say this, and it's not a Windoze bashing thing. But Apple's Address application allows you to add different fields and name them, just as you can on the phone; so it's not an issue for Mac users. It is basically a shortcoming of the MS application. I can understand it because it is the same way on my work Outlook.

fitz62

Bronze
Jun 9, 2007
yeah just like the palmOne sync softaware. you don't need outlook or anything...its all right there. that would be awesome.

burniksapwet

Silver
Jul 5, 2007
Why don't you just add Cing or T-Mo to the contact's name instead of the number. You'd still know whether you were hitting M2M or Anytime minutes when you answer a call or make a call from your contact list.
It's more of a preference. I don't want to create 2 or 3 different contact info for the same person on my contacts list.

burniksapwet

Silver
Jul 5, 2007
I hate to say this, and it's not a Windoze bashing thing. But Apple's Address application allows you to add different fields and name them, just as you can on the phone; so it's not an issue for Mac users. It is basically a shortcoming of the MS application. I can understand it because it is the same way on my work Outlook.
The more reason why Apple should add it as a feature, so that people like me could limit the use of non Apple applications for the iPhone. Especially a feature like this that we all know would be very useful and will be using a lot.

amsay76

Oct 11, 2009
iPhone CONTACT HELL! ;) or maybe just annoyingly tedious.

Good because nobody has ever mentioned it yet in any threads. I'm glad that I'm not the only one thinking about this.
I was searching for instructions on how to do exactly what you are saying here. I've only had an iPhone for a few months, but love it. Unfortunately my contacts are a mess. I did a sync from gmail, so I have a bunch of unwanted contacts, and some doubled. I'm weary of doing a sync from outlook because I feel the outcome is unpredictable. I would like to see a contacts tab where you can sync all your different contact books to iTunes, then consolidate and edit per your preferences. Finally, when it's just how you want it, sync to the iPhone. Editing in the iPhone directly is time consuming when you have hundreds of contacts to remove/edit. This appears to be a popular complaint, I wonder if Apple will respond.

Jul 16, 2008
Colorado
I was searching for instructions on how to do exactly what you are saying here. I've only had an iPhone for a few months, but love it. Unfortunately my contacts are a mess. I did a sync from gmail, so I have a bunch of unwanted contacts, and some doubled. I'm weary of doing a sync from outlook because I feel the outcome is unpredictable. I would like to see a contacts tab where you can sync all your different contact books to iTunes, then consolidate and edit per your preferences. Finally, when it's just how you want it, sync to the iPhone. Editing in the iPhone directly is time consuming when you have hundreds of contacts to remove/edit. This appears to be a popular complaint, I wonder if Apple will respond.
Unfortunately, they won't respond to your posting here and anyone that has power to actually do something about it likely won't even see your request here at eiC.

However, if you feel adamant about incorporating this feature into a future iTunes update, you should use the Apple -iphone Feedback form.