I want an iPhone SANS the phone!

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

gjlowe

Mar 30, 2007
I think for those of us that either are in a long term contract or do not want to go with Cingular could be very intrigued by a device that is basically an iPhone without the phone! I would love a combination iPod, internet tablet, and more made by Apple! I want a fully featured web browser so AJAX sites work and such. All they have to do is make the SIM slot an SD or miniSD or microSD slot, and voila! Perfect device!

Mar 25, 2007
AZ
I think the main challenge with something like that is who do you get mobile internet service from if it's not one of the cell phone carriers? And if the answer is, you do get it from one of the cell carriers then you're back at the question about using the existing iPhone with other carriers... (besides Cingular/AT&T) But I definitely agree, some type of portable, ipod sized internet device would be fantastic... but I really think you'll want that device to do more, which is why the iPhone will be so fantastic ;-)

gjlowe

Mar 30, 2007
I think the main challenge with something like that is who do you get mobile internet service from if it's not one of the cell phone carriers? And if the answer is, you do get it from one of the cell carriers then you're back at the question about using the existing iPhone with other carriers... (besides Cingular/AT&T) But I definitely agree, some type of portable, ipod sized internet device would be fantastic... but I really think you'll want that device to do more, which is why the iPhone will be so fantastic ;-)
Having the WiFi lets you use your OWN high speed internet service you pay for in your home. I know some people would use this like myself...which is as a tablet to use around the house quite a bit. The other idea would be to let it leverage the Bluetooth Dial up Networking from your cell phone if you were in a spot that didn't have WiFI. That way you wouldn't have to be locked to one particular vendor.

khunlyon

Bronze
Apr 2, 2007
well now that the iPhone has this new ui for the ipod function, i would assume that the next generation ipods will have the same sort of set up (all touch screen wide screen view) - then again, that probably wont include the internet functions.

Mar 25, 2007
AZ
Ah, touche (is that how you spell that? -- pronounce "too-shay"). I guess I wasn't thinking about using it in places with wifi (which could be more than just at home, e.g., coffe shops, bookstores, etc)...

The Lodge

Jul 2, 2007
I definitely want an iPhone which is much more powerful than this one, and can adapt to whatever network is available. More of a web browsing tablet with access to a gsm network for when I am out and about.

But I think Apple is wise to come out of the gate with a simplified device which for now does not do all the things I want, but establishes Apple as a maker of solid phones before mutating into the wireless tablet of my dreams.

kdarling

Bronze
Jun 20, 2007
NJ, NC, CO

tharmsen

Silver
Jul 5, 2007
I see a very small market for such a device. Why would I want something like that around the house when most of the stuff I want off the internet needs to be on a PC (files, games, etc)? Let's assume you want it as a device to be used when you're out of the house since you'll probably just use your laptop at the house anyway. Ok, why would I carry this device AND a cell phone? I would still need a cell phone and I would probably still need wireless internet services (Edge/3g/EVDO) since I'm rarely around a hotspot outside of my house that I can easily access.

The vast majority of the people I believe would rather have a phone and wifi built in rather than a strictly wifi device that would get little use or would require the user to carry two devices when a single solution like the iPhone is already available.

Spin This!

Silver
May 4, 2007
What makes the "i" in iPhone is the Internet features; don't expect those in any iPod. Maybe in a few years when wifi is more widely available as well...

kdarling

Bronze
Jun 20, 2007
NJ, NC, CO
I think the main challenge with something like that is who do you get mobile internet service from if it's not one of the cell phone carriers? And if the answer is, you do get it from one of the cell carriers then you're back at the question about using the existing iPhone with other carriers... (besides Cingular/AT&T)
Good point, but it's taken care by the fact that you can buy internet/data-only plug-in cards and plans from most, if not all, carriers. Usually for a laptop of course, but the same idea could work for handhelds.

I know people who have Sprint phones, but use a Verizon EVDO card for laptop data access. For example (and again, each carrier has these):

http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/...t&action=viewPhoneDetail&selectedPhoneId=2850

But the data plan can be expensive, unless subsidized by phone service as well. So as others put it, I think most of the desire for this kind of device is around the house, where you can have WiFi.

kdarling

Bronze
Jun 20, 2007
NJ, NC, CO
I see a very small market for such a device.
Yeah, but you know how that goes. Whatever you or I want, isn't necessarily anywhere near what others want !

Why would I want something like that around the house when most of the stuff I want off the internet needs to be on a PC (files, games, etc)?
Oh gosh, I need one myself, even though my laptop is on in my home office 24/7. Lots of times I'm in the living room or bedroom or porch or backyard, and just want to browse or look up something. A handheld device that gives you internet and TV and the ability to check your main home computer files would be very nice.

Let's assume you want it as a device to be used when you're out of the house since you'll probably just use your laptop at the house anyway. Ok, why would I carry this device AND a cell phone?
Well, considering the scenario I just gave, I would use a different device outside the house area. But let's say you did take it with you...

Possibly you have a purse to carry it in. Or it's in a briefcase, or whatever. The thing is, tablets give you much larger screens. You could turn the question around and ask why anyone would want to surf the web on a 480x320 screen instead of 800x480.

All that said, I think there's plenty of market share available for all sorts of different device sizes and capabilities.

tharmsen

Silver
Jul 5, 2007
If you want a tablet device, they're are plenty to choose from. They don't sell very well and I know exactly zero people who own one, but they're definitely available. No need to wait on Apple to produce one. :p