I want an iPhone wife wants my crackberry

Sludge

Bronze
Aug 15, 2008
North Fort Worth
Hey gang I am posting this in the att area, mods feel free to move it if need be. Here is the question, like the title says, I want a new 3g iPhone, wife wants my crackberry. My line is not available for an upgrade, hers is at the end of the month. She has a razor and wants my crackberry or one of her own. In the past I have bought a phone under one number and swapped the sim card around. I am wondering if this is possible to do with out current situation. I know when we upgrade my wifes phone and get the i phone we will have to put a data account on it. Once this is done, is there a way to swap sim cards (giving me the i phone and her my crack berry) and changing the data plans to make things right?

Hope this makes sense. First post here, great site and love the information that I have seen so far...

Aug 7, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Yeah i am wondering the same thing because i have a family member who is eligible for upgrade on September, and i am not. I am wanting to do the swap but not totally sure what to tell them on canceling the data plan and moving it to my line. :eek:

Sludge

Bronze
Aug 15, 2008
North Fort Worth
Yeah i am wondering the same thing because i have a family member who is eligible for upgrade on September, and i am not. I am wanting to do the swap but not totally sure what to tell them on canceling the data plan and moving it to my line. :eek:
Not sure how the data plan works intent. I stopped by ATT today and told them what I wanted to do (using my wifes upgrade). They guy told me that it would be no problems and when it came time to upgrade he would just tack the iPhone onto my wifes upgrade and then set it up under my number. Not sure how the data would work for you, I plan on getting the data plan for me when I am at work. Hope this helps.

I know my wife is excited about getting my crackberry... I love her and all... but she's weird :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Josh Yates

Contributor
Silver
Jul 14, 2007
Orion, MI
I just brought my wife over from Sprint and she got the AT&T Palm Centro (White) for free from Best Buy. She couldn't be happier. It's taken me about five years of using smartphones to finally get her onto one. No data plan, but she would check her email like once a week on her phone anyway. So...no real need. I'm on the iPhone 3G, she's got the Centro.

Aug 7, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Not sure how the data plan works intent. I stopped by ATT today and told them what I wanted to do (using my wifes upgrade). They guy told me that it would be no problems and when it came time to upgrade he would just tack the iPhone onto my wifes upgrade and then set it up under my number. Not sure how the data would work for you, I plan on getting the data plan for me when I am at work. Hope this helps.

I know my wife is excited about getting my crackberry... I love her and all... but she's weird :rolleyes::rolleyes:
Oh i see, thanks for the info!
But the thing is if i take this approach, i would need my father to be present at the AT&T store because he is my primary line, and he wouldn't want to do that because he lives far away. My mother is the one who is eligible for upgrade soon(but she's on a separate account). Would it be better to just disable the Data Plan, on my mother's online account, and just re-activate the iPhone to my line, swap my sim in there, and add the data plan? :laugh2:

Sludge

Bronze
Aug 15, 2008
North Fort Worth
Oh i see, thanks for the info!
But the thing is if i take this approach, i would need my father to be present at the AT&T store because he is my primary line, and he wouldn't want to do that because he lives far away. My mother is the one who is eligible for upgrade soon(but she's on a separate account). Would it be better to just disable the Data Plan, on my mother's online account, and just re-activate the iPhone to my line, swap my sim in there, and add the data plan? :laugh2:
I think that might work. One thing I have learned in dealing with the folks at the att store is just be honest with them on what you want to do. I was wondering how to do what I wanted to get done, how to get the phone using the wifes plan and then going home and swapping everything over. In the end I just told the guy everything and he said it would be no problem...

Rsinart

Aug 24, 2008
Hey guys this is the exact reason I just joined these forums. Today I went to an AT&T store, and asked almost the same question. I am on a family plan with my father and my two sisters, cause its just cheaper then us all paying for service. Anyway my one sister is up for upgrade in October, and my line is not til Sep. of 2009. I went in and asked if she upgraded to the iPhone, if we could switch the iPhone over to my number and add the data on after she got it. I was told it can not be done. He told me he tried to do this many times over the past month and it ended up billing the people twice for the iPhone. IDK if this guy was serious or not, but if someone that has done this can please come on and verify its legal I would appreciate it.

Sludge

Bronze
Aug 15, 2008
North Fort Worth
Hey guys this is the exact reason I just joined these forums. Today I went to an AT&T store, and asked almost the same question. I am on a family plan with my father and my two sisters, cause its just cheaper then us all paying for service. Anyway my one sister is up for upgrade in October, and my line is not til Sep. of 2009. I went in and asked if she upgraded to the iPhone, if we could switch the iPhone over to my number and add the data on after she got it. I was told it can not be done. He told me he tried to do this many times over the past month and it ended up billing the people twice for the iPhone. IDK if this guy was serious or not, but if someone that has done this can please come on and verify its legal I would appreciate it.
Rsinart...

Like I mentioned before, the guy at the Att store said it was doable.
I will be able to tell you for sure sept. 4... Stay tuned...

djkeev

Bronze
Sep 2, 2008
Hi,

I just went through this, couldn't do it so my wife and I swapped numbers, not really a big deal, a few texts and emails to those who call us a lot and the deed is done. We also put voice mails telling the caller to call the other number. Most people had both anyway.
I've been an ATT customer (or a customer of one of the companies that got gobbled up by the new ATT) for over 10 years and that didn't get me any special treatment!
Dave

MyAGunn

Aug 25, 2008
Kentucky
Funny...it sounds like you get different answers depending on who you talk to. We have a second line on our plan which we activated as a gift for my mother a couple of years ago.

My line is not eligible for an upgrade until next year, but the second was eligible. I took my mother's phone with me to AT&T. They activated the iPhone on her line and then switched it to my line and put her phone back on her line. Took all of 15 minutes. I asked at two different stores about doing this and "no problem" was the reply I got at both. It saved me $200 for an early upgrade.

itsnowornever

Bronze
Jul 20, 2008
Cali Baby!
I have done the "bait and switch" a few times with ATT...and they never had a problem doing it. If you get a store that can't do it, then go somewhere else. And if you get charged twice for two data plans, call and they will refund it...it's really that simple.

Good luck!

Aug 7, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Rsinart...

Like I mentioned before, the guy at the Att store said it was doable.
I will be able to tell you for sure sept. 4... Stay tuned...

Alright what happened today, keep us updated haha.
I have to wait until the 18th to try this. :(

Sludge

Bronze
Aug 15, 2008
North Fort Worth
Alright what happened today, keep us updated haha.
I have to wait until the 18th to try this. :(
Worked like a charm!
The att guy that helped me out acted like he had done it a hundred times...and was a breeze...

I am a proud new owner of a black 3g 16gb iPhone. I love it so far minus one complaint. I am unable to manage media thats on my iPhone unless I do a complete sync. I cant pick and choose what goes on my iPhone.. and I cant erase it unless I move it from iTunes or mark it already viewed/listened too. This is not a big deal yet...

Other than that the phone is great and the net speed is allot faster than what I thought it would be..

Oh let me add this as well... The wife wants an iPhone now!. just 15 minutes messing around with mine and she is hooked... I told her to bad.. she is 2 years away from an upgrade on her account.. LMAO!

Aug 7, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Worked like a charm!
The att guy that helped me out acted like he had done it a hundred times...and was a breeze...

I am a proud new owner of a black 3g 16gb iPhone. I love it so far minus one complaint. I am unable to manage media thats on my iPhone unless I do a complete sync. I cant pick and choose what goes on my iPhone.. and I cant erase it unless I move it from iTunes or mark it already viewed/listened too. This is not a big deal yet...

Other than that the phone is great and the net speed is allot faster than what I thought it would be..

Oh let me add this as well... The wife wants an iPhone now!. just 15 minutes messing around with mine and she is hooked... I told her to bad.. she is 2 years away from an upgrade on her account.. LMAO!
Sounds like your swap was a success, congrats man!
thanks for the update as well, just makes me feel more at ease about the whole swapping thing. Enjoy your iPhone:laugh2:

sfarris

Sep 26, 2008
I just did this- it takes some doing!

Hey gang I am posting this in the att area, mods feel free to move it if need be. Here is the question, like the title says, I want a new 3g iPhone, wife wants my crackberry. My line is not available for an upgrade, hers is at the end of the month. She has a razor and wants my crackberry or one of her own. In the past I have bought a phone under one number and swapped the sim card around. I am wondering if this is possible to do with out current situation. I know when we upgrade my wifes phone and get the i phone we will have to put a data account on it. Once this is done, is there a way to swap sim cards (giving me the i phone and her my crack berry) and changing the data plans to make things right?

Hope this makes sense. First post here, great site and love the information that I have seen so far...

I used my wife's upgrade to get an iPhone, she took my blackberry. Had to then go to ATT store (i did it at Best Buy) and get a new sim card for the iPhone. While there, ATT switched the phones on the accounts so the right ones were in their systems. Then took two more calls to ATT tech support to get voicemail to work properly.

I miss the mail speed of the Berry and turn by turn of the GPS, but all in all, it was a good swap for us.