I want Google Maps back!

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by Torinate, Sep 22, 2012.

1. Torinate

Torinate Member
    Bronze

Ok. This is ridiculous.

It thinks I live in Kitchener now! 35 km away!

I can't believe (I guess I have to though) that Apple would release a half baked piece of junk app like their maps that replaces the accurate to a fault google maps.

The mobile web for google just isn't nice to use either.

To all unsuspecting people looking to update: if you rely on maps, as I do, don't update! It is so pathetic that this was released without being tested properly.

Sorry to rant.

I was duped into thinking this was an upgrade.

Anyone still on IOS 5 want to trade phones?

2. ZR_Yancy

ZR_Yancy Genius
    Gold

Sorry you're having a bad experience with Maps. I agree, it does need fixing but so far, it's worked fine with me. I would like to see more routing and avoidance options.

3. Lon

Lon Evangelist
    Gold

You have got to be kidding. Apple Maps is the biggest piece of garbage Apple has ever put out to its "best user experience" customers.
    http://blog.telemapics.com/?p=399

4. Bennyboy

Bennyboy Genius
    Platinum

I used it the other day while my fiancée had Navigon open to compare the 2. I'm personally impressed, and I know with time whatever problems you all might be having will get fixed. Be patient.

5. OzzyMoto

OzzyMoto New Member

Try 'Waze'.

I prefer it over old Google Maps or new Apple Maps...

6. Lon

Lon Evangelist
    Gold

Some people are doing fine for their limited use. But, if you use it religiously, and you read the other blogs on the Internet, you have to admit that is garbage.

7. Lon

Lon Evangelist
    Gold

If you have read my posts over the years, you know that I am a 100% Apple fan. I am not like some who are threatening to abandon the platform. However, I will call a spade a spade.

8. Kgd0630

Kgd0630 Contributor
    Bronze

I also prefer the new one and waze over google!

9. iphonewarrior

iphonewarrior Moderator

I've been using the new maps since day one of the iOS 6 betas, let me tell you that beta 1 maps was awful. I know the new maps have flaws but this is nothing Apple can't fix. I've had a few issues with the maps app i.e sending me down the wrong way on a one way street... that's three points on an English driving license if you get caught. Give it a few weeks and Apple will push out the necessary updates. I hope :eek:

10. djwindsor

djwindsor Contributor
    Silver

I don't rely on maps too often as I own the TomTom app. If I need google maps all I did was created a shortcut on my home screen to google maps through safari. It works very fast and the only annoying thing is constantly have to approve the location request. It even has the traffic integration but you have to check the box every time you load the map page. A decent compromise until they get the app back.

11. laughjimbo

laughjimbo Member
    Bronze

I used to use google maps for street view before Apple maps. If google maps becomes available as an app the I will use it for the street view feature but I like Apple maps for everything else and as always Apple will improve it with an update very soon I am sure.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using iCafe app

12. btitus

btitus Contributor
    Silver

Waze and Mapquest are very good substitutes in the meantime. I use them both over my standalone TomTom GPS

Sent from my iPhone5 using iCafe app

13. aggieman

aggieman Zealot
    Gold

Google Maps is amazing but it did take some time for Google to get it there. In confident Apple will given the time. I don't see google maps removal as a deal breaker given the number of options available but I think Apple pulled the trigger way too soon on the new maps deployment. The iPhone is in way too many hands an the potential for a huge backlash is there. Not to mention free advertising for google and Android manufacturers.

14. aggieman

aggieman Zealot
    Gold

I love waze

15. ZR_Yancy

ZR_Yancy Genius
    Gold

It will improve as more and more people use it hopefully report incorrect info so corrections can be made. They were right about one thing, the more that use it, the faster it will improve. I totally agree with that statement. Give it a chance.

16. efuseakay

efuseakay Contributor
    Silver

A blog posted it. It must be true!

Sure, it's not up to par with Google Maps right now. But it will be. Unfortunately, we have to all be guinea pigs for the time being.

I still use MapQuest anyway.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  17. Torinate

Torinate Member
    Bronze

Yes, years behind google. The issue is that it's going to take years to get back to where google is now. Of course then, google will still be years ahead. It doesn't work reinventing the wheel.

None of the other maps app have really done anything for me. I'm $100 (I believe that was the price when I got it) in the hole with the Navigon app that wasn't on par with the regular google maps.

I just read 2 conflicting reports about whether google has an app or will release an app and if Apple will let them...

All I know is, I rely heavily on my maps for work. Street view is an absolute necessity for what I do and need it for. The current maps is, unfortunately, truly unuseable to me. Not only is street view missing, but the accuracy is abyssmal here in southwestern Ontario. Cities are miles from where they truly are. Apparently I live 20+ miles from where I do. Unacceptable! I live less than an hour from Toronto - 5th largest city in North America! I do not have patience for things like this. I just want it to work. When something is not broken, why try to fix it?

I hear you... patience...

Honestly, with Mr. Jobs philosophy of "it just works" I expected with all the publicity and backlash, there would have already been a solution. How much patience is required?

I'm hoping for a solution.

One report said a google app could be released as early as tomorrow... Fingers crossed.

Sorry to rant. But, when my daily life has changed and I now need to solve things and do things differently, I get a little testy...

18. efuseakay

efuseakay Contributor
    Silver

I'd be frustrated too if I really depended on maps app like that too. Hopefully Apple will allow Google Maps. And hopefully they will be getting their own app up and working properly. It's not like Apple has a lack of resources/$.

It's funny though, how this maps businesss has been effecting their stock price. (Along with the FoxConn riots)

19. ZR_Yancy

ZR_Yancy Genius
    Gold

I use Navigon as well and feel it's pretty good. It even has Street View.

20. aggieman

aggieman Zealot
    Gold

if I end up sticking with the i5 over my GS3 Navigon will most likely be my daily driver. I enjoyed it way back when I last had an iPhone 4. Always had good experiences with Garmin so I may well give them a shot.