I want Google Maps back!

Lon

Evangelist
Gold
Jun 5, 2010
Alaska
Not trying to offend you Lon, I am making a general statement when I come across various threads about people getting OCD about every little issue, I haven't needed maps yet so for me it isn't an issue yet. I am a fan of conviction and follow through to make a stand when someone isn't happy about a product whether it be a product or service. I am also not a fan of bs advertising like the link that I posted where other companies are trying to capitalize on a company's flaws by putting out bs. The article clearly states iOS maps isn't perfect and has it's flaws so you don't have to purposely put out bs to show their product is better.
Thanks for perspective. Am a a big fan. This is the biggest failure in all my history, in terms of my needs. First time I have have been disappointed and p*****ed off. Doesn't detract from my overall support. But I do need to express my disappointment. This is political and economical and not in keeping with best user experience. I may even activate my week old iP5 tomorrow as an act of appeasement. (What the heck, I still have Google Maps on my iP4s!)

iP5

Evangelist
Gold
Sep 7, 2010
Toronto
Tried the maps last night and today. It always got my destination spot on where Navigon was always off by 40-50 feet. I thought that was interesting.
Thats new. Always thought Navigon was worth the $50 (or was it $25).
I remember a forum debate with you comparing either TomTom or Navigon to my version of Google Maps.
Nothing but +ve spin about your Nav app back then. 40-50feet off would not be acceptable for me and would have been significant to that debate. 50ft at some intersections and forks on the highway can put you down the wrong road.
Good thing you got an Apple replacement then. Free's you to disclose such crucial details about your past go to app.
Maybe Apple Maps 1.0 will be a similar improvement on this 0.1 release.

Bennyboy

Genius
Platinum
Jul 21, 2010
PA
Thats new. Always thought Navigon was worth the $50 (or was it $25).
I remember a forum debate with you comparing either TomTom or Navigon to my version of Google Maps.
Nothing but +ve spin about your Nav app back then. 40-50feet off would not be acceptable for me and would have been significant to that debate. 50ft at some intersections and forks on the highway can put you down the wrong road.
Good thing you got an Apple replacement then. Free's you to disclose such crucial details about your past go to app.
Maybe Apple Maps 1.0 will be a similar improvement on this 0.1 release.
Navigon has Always been few feet off my destination, always, and if you ever read the reviews on the App Store, I wasn't the only one, but everything else just works and always worked well for me. You can't compare google maps to Navigon, like I've said plenty of times before I've maybe used google maps a hand full of times for direction. I'd be happy to see Apple maps be has good as Navigon, forget google maps, for me it's gone and forgotten.

imutter

Genius
Gold
Apr 4, 2011
Somewhere between DC and Baltimore.
So far I love the new Maps no problems at all
Turn by Turn is the bomb
Google was so outdated took me to places which have moved or closed down
I have used Waze and I also got Garmin (I got it on a special)
Waze is OK and Garmin is just a back up (I never use it :eek:)
I miss the old streetview so I got an App.
Overall I believe iOS6 was released a little premature (also see passbook)
but Maps works fine enough for me. I would like to see some updates which surley will be there soo enough!

Torinate

Bronze
Sep 19, 2009
Interesting.

Anybody that actually relies on the maps "to work" has serious problems. Those that use it occasionally don't.

I completely rely on maps and street view for work. Again, right now, this plotted a course 50 miles away from the true place I need to go. Never, ever, not even once did that happen with google! And, I even knew the house I was looking for and if it wasn't a "safe" type of place to be.

I love Apple products. They're usually polished and work seamlessly. IOS 6 is neither of those. Siri can't seem to work correctly for me either. Not just one instant, but consistently incorrect.

Call it what you want and say to be patient... Right now, as before, and tomorrow, I need it to function correctly.

Perhaps those of you that don't rely so heavily on this don't completely understand the utter disappointment and frustration that those of us that do, are feeling. If this was a cheap or inexpensive unit, I could understand, but this Apple. They goofed big time and the end users are paying for it.

Still need a fix ASAP.

I've hodge-posted together a working solution with 3 different apps to replace the google functionality Apple took away. Now I have to triple check things and use another app for just the street view. Takes 10 times as long. What was once easy and direct is now piecework and frustrating. It doesn't have to be though. It could easy again...

I'd like to see a return of google maps. Or at least as accurate (spot on) Apple maps with street view in one seamless app. That is the challenge I guess when you have a company that specializes in hardware and software trying to compete in a completely different field.

An example is a GP. Do you want him/her performing open heart surgery or do you want the specialized cardiologist surgeon performing it? Both are doctors...

Grr...

Sorry again for the rant. Frustration has gotten the better of me.

I've added a pic. Had to crop the left side to erase the number. I'm the blue dot. On Queen street where I was searching. Maps wanted me miles away... This is what I face almost every time I search for a location.

Attachments

Torinate

Bronze
Sep 19, 2009
I've been really trying to like maps and use it to make it better. I think I'm at my proverbial end though.

To my calculations, I'm over 170 reports to Apple about incorrect searches or addresses.

Right now though, it can't find an arena. Can't find a town. Can't even find the general area. Closest thing I can get to for Carlisle Community Centre is in California. I'm in Ontario Canada!

People here will say how great maps are. Maybe for them. Not here they're not. Not even close!

My use tells me this can not function without a real map such as google. Bing is on par with Apple. Navigon is somewhere in the middle. The best map so far is google.

Flame away. The sweat I've put into the corrections for Apple maps will extinguish them anyways.

Why they haven't updated I'd beyond me. Even with just my information it would be so much better. Let alone all the power of the others users as well.

Iloveiphones

Genius
Platinum
Aug 5, 2010
chatsocially.com
I've been really trying to like maps and use it to make it better. I think I'm at my proverbial end though.

To my calculations, I'm over 170 reports to Apple about incorrect searches or addresses.

Right now though, it can't find an arena. Can't find a town. Can't even find the general area. Closest thing I can get to for Carlisle Community Centre is in California. I'm in Ontario Canada!

People here will say how great maps are. Maybe for them. Not here they're not. Not even close!

My use tells me this can not function without a real map such as google. Bing is on par with Apple. Navigon is somewhere in the middle. The best map so far is google.

Flame away. The sweat I've put into the corrections for Apple maps will extinguish them anyways.

Why they haven't updated I'd beyond me. Even with just my information it would be so much better. Let alone all the power of the others users as well.
They are updating it. They have. They don't need a software update every time they release a slew of updates to maps. They have already corrected the Statue of Liberty.

Sent from my iPhone using iCafe app

iP5

Evangelist
Gold
Sep 7, 2010
Toronto
Get a TomTom? It's been what a month for you and fixes will likely be US primary and the rest of us sometime later. At this point, just guessing but can anyone say if the core database is incomplete or maybe something else on the back end, maybe the search engine?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
Since the GM and the public release of iOS 6 I've had nothing but good experiences with the new Maps.app. Everyone needs to remember that Google has a massive head-start on the maps, considering this is what Apple's come up with in a little amount of time I think it's a pretty good effort. Google is great and it's what everyone is used to using, but their maps still have thousands of errors as well. It'll always be this way, something so big takes time to maintain and develop.

Torinate

Bronze
Sep 19, 2009
Inc
They are updating it. They have. They don't need a software update every time they release a slew of updates to maps. They have already corrected the Statue of Liberty.

Sent from my iPhone using iCafe app
Incorrect according to an Apple genius. They have to update the app itself - release an update - before it can be updated. Not my words, just yet words of an Apple genius. I went to the Apple store to show then how junky maps is. They laughed and agreed. If course, they live here in Ontario. One of them said he doesn't even bother with it anymore because its just so bad. The other said that Apple has to update it for anything to be fixed. No news on iMessage, wifi, battery, calendar... They said they've been VERY busy. I guess.

So, no updated app, no updated info...

Torinate

Bronze
Sep 19, 2009
Since the GM and the public release of iOS 6 I've had nothing but good experiences with the new Maps.app. Everyone needs to remember that Google has a massive head-start on the maps, considering this is what Apple's come up with in a little amount of time I think it's a pretty good effort. Google is great and it's what everyone is used to using, but their maps still have thousands of errors as well. It'll always be this way, something so big takes time to maintain and develop.

You're right. Apple bit off more than it can chew!

They are years behind. Lets hope it doesn't take years to catch up. By then, google will still be years ahead.

Sorry to say though, in Ontario, nothing even remotely comes close to google. I've tried several.

It's interesting though. There are so many people- just on this board - with such varying opinions.

Kind of like trip advisor. 2 people at the same resort on the same week. One loves it - best ever! The other hates it - worst ever! Same thing here.

I'll side with Apples own people... Apology not accepted without the updates to fix all the issues.

Sorry again for the rant... Patience wearing thin with each day...

Iloveiphones

Genius
Platinum
Aug 5, 2010
chatsocially.com
Inc

Incorrect according to an Apple genius. They have to update the app itself - release an update - before it can be updated. Not my words, just yet words of an Apple genius. I went to the Apple store to show then how junky maps is. They laughed and agreed. If course, they live here in Ontario. One of them said he doesn't even bother with it anymore because its just so bad. The other said that Apple has to update it for anything to be fixed. No news on iMessage, wifi, battery, calendar... They said they've been VERY busy. I guess.

So, no updated app, no updated info...
I still disagree with the genius. The genius is wrong.

Tell me, have you ever saw an Apple update say "google maps update"

And they have fixed the Statue of Liberty already too.

Oct 24, 2010
Denver, CO
I used maps pretty extensively last week while I was in Albuquerque and I didn't encounter any issues.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I used maps pretty extensively last week while I was in Albuquerque and I didn't encounter any issues.
<jealous> I want to do a self-guided Breaking Bad shooting locations tour in ABQ.