i want to make this understood.

themanofthedark

Gold
Jan 5, 2008
Boston
Aggies post really got me thinking just now.

I'd like to make a couple of things understood.

• I am a patriot for my home country, and i want to keep my citizenship for it as long as I can.
  • for me to receive a US citizenship (which i may have to, if my dad has done it already) would be a terrible thing for me for one reason and one reason only - and i have no problem with the U.S. except... its just not for me. thats why i want to get out as soon as i finish my schooling (maybe even earlier)
  • When people like OJsakilla (although i have nothing much against him) start talking about how weak Russia is, and how foolish it would be for Russia to start anything, I get very angry. (and think - it's not such a strange reaction)
  • I do not disrespect the U.S. government any more than anyone else - again, though, i disagree with its ways.

The Russians have done some bad crap, yes.

Josef Stalin was a terrible person.
Communism was bad.
I agree.

but you need to think not of the USSR, but of the Russian Federation, and realize, that many many things have changed.
the Russia you are thinking of, the weak, weak, Russia, is the early Russia, the one in the mid 90s.
many things have changed since then.
We've passed Yeltsin. Passed Putin.
Our economy is booming like never before.
the country, strictly speaking in military terms, is a 1st world country.
In some forgotten village in Siberia, maybe its not even a second world country, yes, but the major part of the population lives in the west part of the country, where very many people are just as accommodated, just as wealthy, as people in the U.S.

and i am in no way encouraging a war against the two superpowers, (yes, i said two) because I realise how absolutely catastrophic that would be, i am just making sure, that people aren't foolish enough to still think of Russia as the Russia they faced in the cold war.

I wish no more of this.

lets all calm down, all right?

Tex

Silver
Jul 15, 2008
Philly
Good post. I was thinking you meant to state these things, and they came across to some as counter to that.

You have all the right reasons not to be a U.S. Citizen. I have plenty of friends overseas that lived here while attending University...They liked it here, but they are born citizens of another country. There is nothing wrong with loving one's country from where they come from. Good for you for sticking to your heritage.

Tex

Silver
Jul 15, 2008
Philly
For the record, I NEVER said russia is weak. Take my name out of that comment, please.

Russia is a major economic power and military threat. I know that. Hence why I strongly feel that you don't F' with them.. Hence backing up my original comment that us getting involved with this Georgia situation would be LUDICROUS.

aenti

Zealot
Gold
Jul 8, 2008
Maryland
Aggies post really got me thinking just now.

I'd like to make a couple of things understood.

• I am a patriot for my home country, and i want to keep my citizenship for it as long as I can.
  • for me to receive a US citizenship (which i may have to, if my dad has done it already) would be a terrible thing for me for one reason and one reason only - and i have no problem with the U.S. except... its just not for me. thats why i want to get out as soon as i finish my schooling (maybe even earlier)
  • When people like OJsakilla (although i have nothing much against him) start talking about how weak Russia is, and how foolish it would be for Russia to start anything, I get very angry. (and think - it's not such a strange reaction)
  • I do not disrespect the U.S. government any more than anyone else - again, though, i disagree with its ways.

The Russians have done some bad crap, yes.

Josef Stalin was a terrible person.
Communism was bad.
I agree.

but you need to think not of the USSR, but of the Russian Federation, and realize, that many many things have changed.
the Russia you are thinking of, the weak, weak, Russia, is the early Russia, the one in the mid 90s.
many things have changed since then.
We've passed Yeltsin. Passed Putin.
Our economy is booming like never before.
the country, strictly speaking in military terms, is a 1st world country.
In some forgotten village in Siberia, maybe its not even a second world country, yes, but the major part of the population lives in the west part of the country, where very many people are just as accommodated, just as wealthy, as people in the U.S.

and i am in no way encouraging a war against the two superpowers, (yes, i said two) because I realise how absolutely catastrophic that would be, i am just making sure, that people aren't foolish enough to still think of Russia as the Russia they faced in the cold war.

I wish no more of this.

lets all calm down, all right?
Sam,
It is easy for them to sit at their computers and type away. Unless they have lived some aspect of your life, they really have no say against your country.

OJsakila

Jul 15, 2007
Jupiter's sulphur mines
Good post. I never said Russia was weak...As a matter of fact I said US would be stupid to start some crap in Russia's backyard. Go re read your thread. I just took offense to what appeared to be anti-american senament. All the while using our education system....Why not use Russia's?
Thanks for clearing it up....no harm done, you Ruskie.

aggieman

Zealot
Gold
Jul 6, 2007
Dallas, TX
Sam, I think it's just the way your post came across. Again, there is no disrespect or dislike from me towards you in the slightest. I applaud you for being proud of who you are and we all should be that way.

Maybe your post just wasn't received in the way it was meant. The tone of it was like, no way in hell would I ever lower myself to become a citizen of the United States.

Trust me the United States is as flawed as any nation. And if not for the wealth of our nation I feel that we would be just as vulnerable as any other nation. Our government is borderline inept in many areas. Our military is very strong mostly due to the wealth of our nation. I would never go out and openly say no country is a threat. Anytime a life is lost the other country becomes a threat.

themanofthedark

Gold
Jan 5, 2008
Boston
Good post. I never said Russia was weak...As a matter of fact I said US would be stupid to start some crap in Russia's backyard. Go re read your thread. I just took offense to what appeared to be anti-american senament. All the while using our education system....Why not use Russia's?
Thanks for clearing it up....no harm done, you Ruskie.
oops.

OJsakila said:
US might support Georgia, but NOT in the face of Moscow
oh wait, it was aknightsdale or something like that who said that Russia is weak

OJsakila

Jul 15, 2007
Jupiter's sulphur mines
Sam,
It is easy for them to sit at their computers and type away. Unless they have lived some aspect of your life, they really have no say against your country.
Spoken like true liberal. What does living some aspect of Sam's life have to do with me talking about Russia? And if you read the thread instead of the last post, you'd see no one is even talking about Russia. They're defending the US from people appearing to disrespect America.

themanofthedark

Gold
Jan 5, 2008
Boston
Sam, I think it's just the way your post came across. Again, there is no disrespect or dislike from me towards you in the slightest. I applaud you for being proud of who you are and we all should be that way.

Maybe your post just wasn't received in the way it was meant. The tone of it was like, no way in hell would I ever lower myself to become a citizen of the United States.

Trust me the United States is as flawed as any nation. And if not for the wealth of our nation I feel that we would be just as vulnerable as any other nation. Our government is borderline inept in many areas. Our military is very strong mostly due to the wealth of our nation. I would never go out and openly say no country is a threat. Anytime a life is lost the other country becomes a threat.
No, I meant it in the way that i would never be able to accept it because it would be totally against my wanting to remain a patriot to Russia.

sorry if you got it like that.

themanofthedark

Gold
Jan 5, 2008
Boston
Spoken like true liberal. What does living some aspect of Sam's life have to do with me talking about Russia? And if you read the thread instead of the last post, you'd see no one is even talking about Russia. They're defending the US from people appearing to disrespect America.
key word - appearing.

aenti

Zealot
Gold
Jul 8, 2008
Maryland
Sam,
You can declare me a liberal if it makes you feel better oj.

aggieman

Zealot
Gold
Jul 6, 2007
Dallas, TX
Sam,
I can have an opinion against his country, good or bad without living any aspect of his life. What you said makes absolutely NO SENSE.

And sure, it's easy for me to sit at my computer and type away. Is it supposed to be difficult to type? We made a statement in rebuttal to what was perceived to be Anti-American sentiment. Things had already cooled down and appeared to be better explained on Sam's behalf and on the other posters behalf as well before you chimed in with your .02.

Personally, I don't have much negative against Russia in its current state. I do feel the perception of Russia will long be haunted by its past history, but there are many more countries that I would have a problem with than Russia.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
You can declare me a liberal if it makes you feel better oj.
That's just his way of dismissing you outright without having to really address you as a fellow human. He's a master at that. :p

Love ya OJ! ;)

aenti

Zealot
Gold
Jul 8, 2008
Maryland
I can have an opinion against his country, good or bad without living any aspect of his life. What you said makes absolutely NO SENSE.

Personally, I don't have much negative against Russia in its current state. I do feel the perception of Russia will long be haunted by its past history, but there are many more countries that I would have a problem with than Russia.
What I meant aggie is that anyone can state someone is bad for x,y, and z. Don't shoot down another country because of what you may think, unless you have actually lived there.
Think about it. The terrorists declare America unholy and wrong. We live in America. We know that isn't true. How can they make a statement if they haven't lived in our country?

Please, this is turning into a mess.
This thread should be about Sam and his current problem, not about our opinions on politics. It's EIC, not some debate.

S

Starry

What about them Dodgers... *twirling hair* hmmm this is why Politics, World Peace, Religion, Sexual Preferences and Beer do not mix well in forums... LOL

I'll come in and mop the place up when y'all are done.. *snicker*

:p

colombianito

Bronze
Sep 12, 2007
you and your pointless threads...like a thread to try to convince us all you are not gay, just look gay.

oooook